Glue on Broadheads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glue on Broadheads?

Finally got my arrows made and now I need to install broadheads so looking to the experienced trad gurus.

I'm shooting a low poundage Holmegaard selfbow (45 lbs). I am having a hard time deciding on the broadheads. I'm looking at 125gn to match my target/practice arrows.

Would I get better penetration with a two blade, three blade or a two blade with bleeder?

As far as brand goes...the Zwickeys seem very popular and are inexpensive but the reviews are pretty mixed when it comes to sharpening them.

The Simmons Tigershark looks great but I can't find them in 125gn.

I also like the look of Eclipse heads. Just judging by appearance, they seem better built that Zwickeys even though they're similar in design.

Magnus also looks good.

Stos seem well built.

For three blades the Woodsman looks hard to beat.

Glue on Broadheads?

A 2-blade will give you the best penetration. There are a bunch of great 2-blades out there in 125gr weight. Pretty much any of them will work just fine, as long as you can get them real sharp. Magnus, Stos, Zwickey, they are all good. You just have to get them real sharp and mounted straight and true on your shaft. And then you have to put them in the right place on the animal when you take your shot!

Bisch

Comment

Two blade, without bleeder blades will most likely work best for you.

Here's what I recommend:

Top left of that page. Select the 125 grain, and select the bevel that matches the helical/offset of your fletching.

Very good broadheads, and very easy to sharpen. You won't be sorry.

Rick

Comment

I was steered into 2 blades for under 50lbs. I do shoot zwickeys and sharpening isn't too difficult if you are comfortable sharpening free hand with a file. I admit it takes practice to get the hang of it if you hadn't before.

Comment

Thanks Bisch. I kinda figured the two blades might go deeper but being new to trad I wanted to be sure. The vented Magnus really has caught my eye. I understand that the vented heads are less affected by the wind than solids.

Comment

Thanks Rick. Those grizzles look really good. What's the advantage of single bevel (if any) over double bevel blades?

Comment

If your bow/arrow setup is tuned well, pretty much any of them will work well, vented or not!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                If your bow/arrow setup is tuned well, pretty much any of them will work well, vented or not!

Bisch
                Good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                  Thanks Rick. Those grizzles look really good. What's the advantage of single bevel (if any) over double bevel blades?
                  My understanding, based on reading Dr. Ed Ashby's reports, is that the single bevel edges will twist on impact with bone, thus making it easier to break that bone and continue on with better penetration. (He also says that total arrow weight needs to be 650 grains or more to reliably breach bone, BTW. His information is based on something like 3,000 shots into real animals over about 30 years. Many question need for heavy arrows on lighter game, such as whitetail, versus, say Cape Buffalo.)

Comment

Like swamprabbit said, you can get the zwickeys shaving sharp pretty easily using a file. Just mark the blade edge with a sharpie and file from the back to the tip evenly on all sides until the sharpie is gone. Repeat as necessary until it is shaving sharp. 3 rivers has a good video that shows how to sharpen 2 blade heads.
                    Last edited by chackworth3; 11-27-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chackworth3 View Post
                      You can get the zwickeys shaving sharp pretty easily using a file. Just mark the blade edge with a sharpie and file from the back to the tip evenly on all sides until the sharpie is gone. Respect as necessary. 3 rivers has a good video that shows how to sharpen 2 blade heads.
                      Yep. I follow up by stropping on the edge of my wooden deck and can shave hair when done right.

Comment

Working...
                      X