arrow question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

arrow question

Yes, I'm a nubie with Trad so this may be a stupid question and I know there will be a truck load of different answers but I'm going to ask anyway...

For a hunting arrow - what total weight is a good ballpark? How much of that would be suggested on the business end (tip and insert)?

Are there any "rule of thumb" or guideline ranges that are commonly accepted?

Context would be longbow 48# @ 28" and my DL is real close to that maybe 0.25" over.

Thanks!

The right arrow weight depends largely on your draw weight. 10 grains per pound of draw weight is the most commonly recommended minimum for hunting, so an arrow of at least 480 grains would be a good place to start for your set up

Comment

Also, opinions vary but a lot of trad shooters prefer a high FOC, (forward of center) meaning the arrow is considerably weight forward. For example my arrows weigh 540 grains and 250 of that is in the tip. (100 grain insert and 150 grain point) The FOC calculation for those arrows is around 20%

Comment

I'm with Jerp on this, I love good FOC. makes them fly like darts and hit hard.

Comment

Great answers so far! I'm pulling right at 49/50lbs. with my set up. Arrow total weight is 510grs. with 200grains of that as point weight.If I'm not mistaken a littleheavier weight up front also helps in penetration.

Comment

I like 10grs/lb and 125 up front... I think a perfectly tuned arrow will do all that is needed for anything in Texas, I've blown through enough to be confident in it

Comment

That being said I shoot a slower setup then most and with the speed of my quarry and their thin hides... I feel like this setup helps my odds of hitting them where I intend to

Comment

I've been carrying the heavier arrow philosophy I learned shooting trad to my compound shooting too. I am currently shooting about 60 lbs with my wheelie bow and have my arrows right at 630 grains. They hit the targets with a solid thump!.

Comment

Working...
                X