Sharpening help: Single Bevel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharpening help: Single Bevel

I'm gonna try out some Werewolf 150gr single-bevel heads this year. I've got a couple that I've been shooting into a target that I need to resharpen. Also hope to ventilate some hogs starting this weekend.

I've never had single-bevel heads so looking for some basic tips. What do y'all use?

I have a file.
    I have a worksharp electric sharpener.
    I have a few arkansas stones.

What's the best method you've found? Thanks.

I am partial to the file on all of my broadheads. Then finish off with the leather strop. This is how I sharpen my GK Silver Flames. they are scary sharp.

Glenn

Comment

I use a file and strop as well for my tuskers. Alaska bowhunting supply has a single bevel sharpener that works pretty well too

Comment

Any tips for technique with the file? Just a single stroke, pick it up, move it over, do it again? Or stroke down the length of the blade from rear to tip or vice versa?

Comment

Keep the same angle, sounds easy right. Start from back to front and get a burr on the unbeveled side. Lightly hit the unbeveled side to remove burr and strop with leather or heavy cardboard. Come shoot with me this week and we'll get them sharp.

Comment

I use single stroke and pick it up, move over. That is how I do it. I also run a marker on the edge so I can see what is being taken off.

Glenn

Comment

[quote=caughtandhobble;7459341]Keep the same angle, sounds easy right. Start from back to front and get a burr on the unbeveled side. Lightly hit the unbeveled side to remove burr and strop with leather or heavy cardboard. Come shoot with me this week and we'll get them sharp.[/quote

PM Sent

Comment

Bobby,

Are you referring to the whitetails??? If so - I used a diamond stone made by Smith - one side coarse and 1 side fine. It is a hand held unit. I lay the bevel against the stone first then slowly and lightly push it along the length of the stone (away form myself) Don't try to remove a lot of material at one time... Slow and steady will get them razor sharp!
                After I get them shaving sharp or close this way, I take and old cardboard box and cut a piece out of it maybe 6" wide x 10-12 inches long. I then drag the broadhead toward myself over this (keeping it at the same angle as I did for the stone.)

Comment

Doug, it's the ones I bought from you. I'll keep my eyes out for a smith stone.

Comment

Wally World or Lowes have em.

Comment

Working...
                    X