Arrow help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow help

I plan on shooting a deer this year, and I need arrow help. First of all, I shoot 50 lbs at 26 inch draw length. With the arrows I shoot now (Easton axis 400 spine, I believe they are 9 gpi) I'm only getting about 230 fps. Do i need different arrows? Do i need lighter or heavier arrows? What grain broadhead do I need to be using? I have heard that a good cut-on-contact broadhead are the best for lower draw weight.

I'm setup at 27" DL and at 58lbs and I shoot the Easton Axis 500's. I'm at about 283fps with a 332gr arrow. My arrows are cut at 25-1/2" and I shoot a 75gr Muzzy broadhead. The 400's are a little heavy imo. I wouldn't use a mechanical broadhead either since your only drawing 50#. But I've always been afraid the mechanicals wouldnt open regardless of the draw weight. My muzzy will never fail to open!

Comment

Good shoot placement will kill were speed can make you miss faster. Cut on contact would be a good way to go with the lower poundage.

My wife shot a cow elk (meat hunt) with 43#'s at 30 yards and had a complete pass thru. She used Beman Speed 500 arrows and 85gr Buzzcuts.

Do not if this will help. Just my $.02

Comment

Originally posted by rossivey View Post
        I'm setup at 27" DL and at 58lbs and I shoot the Easton Axis 500's. I'm at about 283fps with a 332gr arrow. My arrows are cut at 25-1/2" and I shoot a 75gr Muzzy broadhead. The 400's are a little heavy imo. I wouldn't use a mechanical broadhead either since your only drawing 50#. But I've always been afraid the mechanicals wouldnt open regardless of the draw weight. My muzzy will never fail to open!
        x2 love the muzzy 75gr. Im shooting right at 60lbs and shoot Gold Tip XT hunter 5575 arrows cut to 28.5 inches and DL is 29". Im getting about 255 to 257fps and have no doubt about getting a pass through with my MUZZY. Remember shot placement, shot placement, shot placement...

Comment

Your kinetic energy is fine. I would agree with cut on contact head. You could go with 100 gr and have a great FOC with the head leading the charge. This would also even up any spine issues you may have with your 400 arrows. The 75 gr heads would also do as well. You might try the head weight with your field points first and see which shoots the best and then you have eliminated on step in the process inexpensively. The next would be to see if you can borrow some old heads from our family of the weight you have found and try them out. Then broadhead tune them...they don't all "fly like a field point", before you purchase them.
          Roy

Comment

I shoot GoldTip Expedition Hunter that are 8.6 gpi (28.25") with a 125 Thunderhead at about 265 fps out of a Diamond Black Ice (single cam bow) set at 60lbs and almost all of my shots are pass throughs. Fact is I have not lost a single deer to date and a 30 yard shot is my longest shot on a whitetail.

Comment

100 gn tip if you need to run to walmart to get you out of a pinch cause you forgot your broadheads, even then you will find them. arrow spine is important I like carbon express and beaman. when I worked at a bow shop I would sell beaman alot they fly great and are tuff

Comment

Working...
              X