what would you buy and from where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what would you buy and from where

I really want to get a nice camera, my bil has a d-60 that i used for my daughters prom/graduation/graduation party and the pictures were just amazing.

He's a d-60 with flash and a few lenses.

If I was gonna start fresh what would you get and why?

then from where?

First question:

What is your spending limit.

Comment

Lets call it 1500 but I'd prefer lower!!!!

Comment

What lenses/gear dos your bil have, and how accessible is he? What about other friends? All else being equal, I always think it's a good idea to go with a similar setup as your friends/family, in terms of camera brand. That way, you can exchange lenses and other gear, provided they're agreeable. For example, he may have a good zoom lens that he only uses sporadically, and you may decide to purchase a good macro for your arsenal. As long as you both didn't need the same lens at the same time, you could swap lenses to expand both of your options. I'd think something along the lines of the D60 would be a good starting point to begin your search (not knowing anything about that camera or models above or below it).

Michael
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          What lenses/gear dos your bil have, and how accessible is he? What about other friends? All else being equal, I always think it's a good idea to go with a similar setup as your friends/family, in terms of camera brand. That way, you can exchange lenses and other gear, provided they're agreeable. For example, he may have a good zoom lens that he only uses sporadically, and you may decide to purchase a good macro for your arsenal. As long as you both didn't need the same lens at the same time, you could swap lenses to expand both of your options. I'd think something along the lines of the D60 would be a good starting point to begin your search (not knowing anything about that camera or models above or below it).

Michael
          Great points, Michael.

From the looks of it, you are heading in the Nikon direction.
          If you are looking to spend around 1500, check out the D90, that is what I shoot and I love it. Also, Nikon just came out with a new model DX camera, the D5000. I don't know much about it, but it looks like it is a sweet little thing, similar to the D90.

The D60 and the D40 are great cameras, they have problems with Auto-focus on some of the older AF lenses. the D90 doesn't have that problem. It isn't that big of a deal, but why buy an AF lens that you have to manually focus?

I bought my D90 kit along with a 70-300mm lens (and lots of other stuff) in a package deal on ebay, and I was (and am) completely happy with it. I have bought 2 lenses through B&H photography and have been completely satisfied with them and I am about to go back to them to buy more stuff.

If I could change one thing, I wouldn't buy the kit with my D90, I would have just bought the body and a good semi-pro lens, like the 18-200mm(give you a decent telephoto shot, not so great indoors or in low light); or even better the sexy 17-55 DX lens, which would last you forever, and is seriously, one sexy lens, but it doesn't have huge telephoto zoom..... I hardly ever use my kit lens anymore, and I just bought my camera in February.

Hope that helps. Ask more questions if you have them!!

Comment

I have been very pleased buying from B&H Photo. Usually free shipping and no sales tax. With your budget, I would buy a D90.

Comment

These would be a great choice for starters. Right at your budget. You can add a flash later.

D90 body and the 18-200 lens.

Comment

If I could change one thing, I wouldn't buy the kit with my D90, I would have just bought the body and a good semi-pro lens, like the 18-200mm(give you a decent telephoto shot, not so great indoors or in low light); or even better the sexy 17-55 DX lens, which would last you forever, and is seriously, one sexy lens, but it doesn't have huge telephoto zoom..... I hardly ever use my kit lens anymore, and I just bought my camera in February.
                Another good point, which also illustrates mine, and brings me to another...

If your budget is limited for glass, you might check around to see if anybody you know (bil, or Hillary, for example) might have a kit lens that you can get for a reasonable cost, until you can upgrade to a better quality lens. I purchased my Canon 20D with the kit lens, and shortly afterwards, my daughter dropped the camera and broke the lens. Casey had a kit lens that he was no longer using, so he let me borrow his for several months until I purchased a higher quality repacement. I believe he has since loaned that lens out to another fellow TBH'er to use.

Of course, my dropped/broken lens brings me to another point, and that is to immediately insure your gear, and if you're going to borrow/exchange equipment, make sure that their gear is insured, as well! Fortunately, the kit lens I broke was a sub-$100 replacement, but it could have just as easily been a $1500-plus lens on the end of the camera when it was dropped (like the 70-200/2.8 IS of Casey's that I rolled off the back seat of my Mule onto the rocks below!)

Oh, and from where? If you can't find it locally at a reasonable price, I'd stick with B&H. Don't go for the absolute cheapest from the NYC camera stores. Stick with reputable (and save the headache), and it doesn't get any more reputable than B&H.

Michael
                My Flickr Photos

Comment

Another great point.
                  Insurance!! I am in the works with that as we speak!

Also, I will open up my kit lens to you at any time. As far as my other glass, if you are in my area for a day or 2, (I see that you hunt in victoria) let me know and I will let you check them out. I don't mind meeting up with people to take some pictures. That is how I found the lenses that I bought.

Comment

I agree on the insurance, too! I have about $8K of equipment insured. It costs me about $75.00 a year. I still can't leave the D300 in the truck all the time though. That's what the old D70s is for.

Comment

I would ditto everyone's comments above. I have heard a lot of great things about the D90 and for the price you are wanting to spend it is right in the ball park.

I just upgraded to the D700 and after the end of July I might be selling what is now my backup, a D200 with the MB10 vertical grip and 18-200 VR lens. I can't sell if before then because I want it as a backup for this wedding I am shooting.

If I decide to sell it I will post it here first.

Comment

he lives in Dequincy LA and he does media for companies as a living = the only reason i got the camera is he flaked in doing the photography himself.

That means I won't get any of his stuff to use.

So basic gameplan

find someone with a lense kit for me to learn from
                        buy a nice body the d90 seems to be the one recommended
                        upgrade lenses as I learn more

B&H is the best place to go . . . .

that the plan?

Comment

I would get the D90 body and the 18-200mm lens.

That, seriously, is your best bet. Great tool to learn on, and close to your price range. That lens will last you a long time, and it covers the area that a kit lens would shoot.

B&H, def the place to go.

But if Wyobull sets up a good deal with you in the D200, I would take it.

Comment

Working...
                          X