Pathetic Display of Parenting!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
    That’s quite the assessment after one screen shot into this guy’s life. Maybe he is a terrible dad, maybe he’s not. Maybe there is something at play that none of us are aware of. I’m a dad of two and I’m sure there have been dozens of “screen shot” moments in my parenting career where someone could have made the claim “that fool doesn’t deserve the title of dad”.

Thankfully, most of us aren’t judged by moments but more by patterns and habits. I don’t fault the OP for saying something but I’m not going to jump on the bandwagon and question another man’s performance as a dad by one perceived misstep.

A wise man once said, those without sin cast the first stone...
    You’re probably right.

You also could be wrong but see post 32.

I’m was no saint as a parent and don’t claim to be. It was just a fleeting moment.

Comment

Good for you sir!

Comment

Originally posted by Buckley99 View Post
        That’s quite the assessment after one screen shot into this guy’s life. Maybe he is a terrible dad, maybe he’s not. Maybe there is something at play that none of us are aware of. I’m a dad of two and I’m sure there have been dozens of “screen shot” moments in my parenting career where someone could have made the claim “that fool doesn’t deserve the title of dad”.

Thankfully, most of us aren’t judged by moments but more by patterns and habits. I don’t fault the OP for saying something but I’m not going to jump on the bandwagon and question another man’s performance as a dad by one perceived misstep.

A wise man once said, those without sin cast the first stone...
        Agree. I think many of us are rushing to judgement. For example, my wife’s grandmother has had a rough go the last few days. She had a bunch of mini strokes and has been in a hospital in another state. There’s been several times where I have had the kids without my wife and been on the phone for 5-10 minutes. Sure I had to tell my kids hang on. Who knows what’s going on in peoples’ lives. Once I’m home from work for the day we put phones and tablets up just to make sure we are having family communication and conversations. Not saying the guy was right or wrong, because chances are the OP was right. But I think we need to pull the reins back and not tar and feather him just yet

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
          You’re probably right.

You also could be wrong but see post 32.

I’m was no saint as a parent and don’t claim to be. It was just a fleeting moment.
          To clarify, I don’t fault you for what you did. A tactful nudge benefits everyone but I think that’s where it stops. We are all imperfect dads and I’m not ready to grab my pitchfork.
          Last edited by Buckley99; 07-28-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

We haven’t met but I still think and pray for you and your wife often. Daughter about the same age and all that. To heck with those that think you’re harsh. If it helps just one parent not have to ever feel your pain then “good job!”
            -to the moon and back.

Comment

Nice work.

Comment

Sounds like it probably impacted him. Had I been in his position, I would have preferred a more sincere and direct word of advice. I dont respond as well to the passive aggressive method. It sounds like you have a powerful story to tell - it might have had a longer lasting impact if you shared your testimony with him.

I dont know you personally so take my 2 cents for what they are. It isn't easy to open up our own wounds sometimes.

Comment

Thank you for pointing it out to him. Wether the fella just had a bad moment or wether he is a bad dad is irrelevant IMHO. Kiddos crave attention and it's a parents duty to provide it. IMHO it is this lack of attention that is the major factor leading to the deterioration of our society.

Awesome job Señor Jeff.

Comment

I love it man.. good job!

Comment

Nice job jeff

Comment

I think many who say good job would disagree Had it happened to you personally. I think most agree because the OP is a well respected member. OP is a good dude from what I have seen on TBH but honestly I put myself in the “bad dads” shoes and with what we have had going on lately I probably would have blown my top had someone said that.

Comment

Read a few days ago that Mattel's profits went down the last 4 quarters in a row. Too many kids aren't playing with toys any more; they stare at screens.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruark View Post
                            Read a few days ago that Mattel's profits went down the last 4 quarters in a row. Too many kids aren't playing with toys any more; they stare at screens.
                            It's what they're learning from their parents!lol

It doesn't take but 2 seconds to acknowledge your young uns when they're doing stuff like that so I don't buy the whole "don't know what's going on in his life" bs. Heck, fake it if you have to before you sit there and embarrass yourself cuz your ignoring your kid so bad. Not even talking to someone on the phone, just tappin' the screen.......gimme a break.

Comment

Seemed like a pretty diplomatic hint to me. Good job. Dad had the opportunity to do the right thing and did.

Secondarily, posting this thread actually has its own positive effects in raising awareness for all seeing it to improve ourselves in our modern, distracted lives. None of us is perfect, and all can use reminders of priorities.
                              Last edited by tradtiger; 07-28-2018, 08:45 PM. Reason: grammar: none is; not none are :)

Comment

Originally posted by FIRETX12 View Post
                                We haven’t met but I still think and pray for you and your wife often. Daughter about the same age and all that. To heck with those that think you’re harsh. If it helps just one parent not have to ever feel your pain then “good job!”
                                -to the moon and back.
                                This!

Comment

Working...
                                X