No announcement yet.

Let the journey begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, it is all about baby steps. I've never utilized my backstop until I started shooting trad! I missed targets alot at first. Keeping them within a foot and a half is pretty good at the beginning.

Comment

Thanks SwampRabbit.

I havehad a few recommendations to purchase the dvd "Masters of the Barebow: Volume III", or try to go to a Rod Jenkins clinic. I'll say the latter is more then likely out of the question. Would the video be a good place to start? For what it's worth, I never plan on shooting competitions... I'm in it strictly for the fun and hunting aspect of it.

Also, my hand eye coordination has always been what I like to think as pretty good and I plan on shooting "instinctive."

Comment

I'm with you! best of luck!

Comment

You say you don't plan on shooting in competitions, but don't rule out going to trad 3d shoots at some point . Not only are they a lot of fun it is generally a very relaxed and fun atmosphere. It is also the best practice I know off or hunting. Having to make one shot count under a little pressure has helped me quite a bit.
          Last edited by jerp; 12-10-2015, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSportsman View Post
            Thanks SwampRabbit.

I havehad a few recommendations to purchase the dvd "Masters of the Barebow: Volume III", or try to go to a Rod Jenkins clinic. I'll say the latter is more then likely out of the question. Would the video be a good place to start? For what it's worth, I never plan on shooting competitions... I'm in it strictly for the fun and hunting aspect of it.

Also, my hand eye coordination has always been what I like to think as pretty good and I plan on shooting "instinctive."
            I don't really feel qualified to give advise, but I'll give you my perspective having started out about 1.5 years ago.

When I started, I just watched some online videos before hand. I spent a lot of time focusing on finding a repeatable, comfortable anchor and working on my release. In hindsight, a single DVD might have been helpful. That being said, the single best piece of advice I got was that not everybody shoots the same. While there are some bad habits, there are a lot of different good habits. The goal is to be comfortable and consistent. If you are hurting too much or not comfortable, then it might be helpful to try something different. I think a lot of people focus too quickly on being accurate rather than trying to shoot comfortably.

For instance, I cannot shoot instinctively because of a lack of depth perception. I cannot however cannot get a comfortable anchor with the arrow really close under my eye. So I shoot what turns out to be what I call gap-instinctive for a lack of a better term. I shoot 3 fingers under with an anchor with an index finger in the corner of my mouth. The arrow is in my field of view below my eye and it helps me align horizontally. For vertical, I have to use a mental decision of what the sight picture should look like with my arrow, riser, etc for my guesstimated distance. I don't look at the point of my arrow inside 20 yards. Beyond that, I can look at the point of my arrow. But I don't take hunting shots past 20... so most of my shots are just based on feel and how I know my arrows fly within 20 yards.

I shoot with my bow straight up and down... but will practice canting from time to time for those hunting shots that just require it (limb clearance, or crouched down, etc.)

It really boils down to shooting a lot and mixing it up so that your brain can get used to how that arrow will fly. I will say, that keeping hunting distances within 15 yards reduces that amount of variations that your brain has to keep track of.

So... watch some videos, find a comfortable, consistent form/anchor... work on a smooth release, and shoot often so you can predict how that arrow is going to fly and hit.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              You say you don't plan on shooting in competitions, but don't rule out going to trad 3d shoots at some point . Not only are they a lot of fun it is generally a very relaxed and fun atmosphere. It is also the best practice I know off or hunting. Having to make one shot count under a little pressure has helped me quite a bit.
              Exactly... 3D shoots are only competitions if you make them a competition. I don't go to 3D shoots to win, I go to hang out and have fun shooting my bow with others who shoot trad. The guy who wins at 3D is the guy that had the most fun.

Where I get frustrated is when I am taking shots at 3D targets inside 15 yards and I don't hit the vitals... it is only because I am a bowhunter first, so that is when the pressure starts to build for me. But then you go shoot a set of Lions set at 25 yards or a Trex hidden behind an oak and it all becomes fun again

Comment

Check Youtube, has some interesting clips

Comment

TxSportsman, you are in for quite a ride! Sometimes you will want to quit/give up, then everything will start clickin again, and you'll wonder why you ever shot anything else! Bout the only thing I can put in is in line with SwampRabbit, find YOUR WAY of shooting CONSISTENTLY, and with REPEATABLE ACCURACY. Proper form, smooth draw, and solid consistent anchor, will produce accurate shooting. It may not come automatically, but with time, strengthening of those "shooting muscles", and quality shooting it is an absolute blast! Concentrate on your shots, take your time, and enjoy the ride...cuz I can promise you everyone on here will agree that a few well executed shots will trump shooting dozens of arrows just to be "shootin"! Ive been doin it a long time, and still the most arrows i shoot before goin to pull them from the target is 2, and no it aint necessarily cuz im worried bout breakin too many arrows Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                    TxSportsman, you are in for quite a ride! Sometimes you will want to quit/give up, then everything will start clickin again, and you'll wonder why you ever shot anything else! Bout the only thing I can put in is in line with SwampRabbit, find YOUR WAY of shooting CONSISTENTLY, and with REPEATABLE ACCURACY. Proper form, smooth draw, and solid consistent anchor, will produce accurate shooting. It may not come automatically, but with time, strengthening of those "shooting muscles", and quality shooting it is an absolute blast! Concentrate on your shots, take your time, and enjoy the ride...cuz I can promise you everyone on here will agree that a few well executed shots will trump shooting dozens of arrows just to be "shootin"! Ive been doin it a long time, and still the most arrows i shoot before goin to pull them from the target is 2, and no it aint necessarily cuz im worried bout breakin too many arrows Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Thanks Rusty!

I have a lot of goodies sitting at the Post Office right now so I can start to properly shoot.

Comment

Get a judo point and a tennis ball, throw the ball, shoot at it and repeat. Not only does this help focus but it also helps with distance judging, no 2 shots will ever be exactly the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X