How to make a traditional ham out of wild hog: Wet Brine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to make a traditional ham out of wild hog: Wet Brine

I have had several members PM me asking for this recipe so I will post it here for now and future use. This is a wet brine method using pink salt, or insta cure #1, that you should be able to pick up at a your local butcher or meat market. This will turn your traditional rear quarter into a rosy pink delicious ham, hope yall enjoy

Ingredients:
    4 Quarts/ 1 Gallon of water
    1 1/2 Cups kosher salt
    2 Cups brown sugar
    8 Teaspoons pink salt or insta cure #1
    1 Fresh wild hog quarter

1. Weight the quarter to find out total weight. This brine will cure at a rate of 2 lbs per day, so knowing your total weight is important.
    2. Heat the water and stir in all ingredients until dissolved (you can add other ingredients if you like, such as lemon, sage, molasses etc, but not necessary unless desired)
    3. Place the quarter in a bowl large enough to completely submerged, but small enough to store in your fridge. At this point if you have an injector you can inject some brine around the bone. This is optional, if no injector don't worry, you will be fine.
    4. Pour brine over quarter, should be enough to completely submerge the quarter and it should try to float on you. Just use a heavy plate or bowl and place on top to hold it under.
    5. Cover and store in fridge, brine will cure at a rate of 2 lbs per day.
    6. When the time has come, remove from the brine, pat dry, and season to your liking. Cook to an internal temp if 155 degrees, and will now have a delicious rosy pink ham instead of a traditional roast. Don't forget to glaze it.

Tip: If going to smoke it, pull from brine the night before and let it rest in fridge the night before. This will help the smoke stick better and provide a good smoke ring, flavor, etc

Thanks! Going to give this a try!

Comment

Always wanted to try this. Thanks. Do you think it would work for making bacon from the belly if you got a really fat one?

Comment

Good info thanks

Comment

Sounds good

Comment

Thanks for sharing.

Comment

In for For reference.

Comment

Well guess I need a pig for this.

Comment

How salty does it get ?

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      How salty does it get ?
                      I haven't had anyone say too salty, but could always adjust the Kosher salt to your liking if you find traditional hams on the salty side

Comment

Originally posted by woodsbound View Post
                        I haven't had anyone say too salty, but could always adjust the Kosher salt to your liking if you find traditional hams on the salty side
                        Thanks.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

I brine most everything, hog, turkey and some deer these day's. You wont notice the salty at all.

Comment

Will try. Thanks for posting.

Comment

Working...
                              X