Brown Patch - How to prevent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brown Patch - How to prevent?

My yard struggles with Brown Patch every year.

Does anyone put out a preventative that keeps it from even starting?

I have searched and read some, basically keeping Nitrogen at a low level, (i.e. don't over fertilize) and not overwatering are two ways to help reduce the odds.

Looking for some real world experience before I start spending money on snake oil.

Thanks.

Nitro-phos has is a very good fungicide at ACE hardware. I use it yearly as soon as I see it, but never used as a prevention tool.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Top dressing the lawn with compost should help.

Comment

In my family, I am known as Nature’s mortician. In fact, I’ve even had a silk plant wither and die. So to say I’m no expert in lawn care and maintenance is putting it mildly. However, I do love to dabble in the natural sciences and it is this realm that I began to wonder whether your brown patches were caused by a pathogen (rather than, say, an infestation) and, if so, what kind. And based on your comment about nitrogen, I wondered what, if any, the role of pH might play in its cause and mitigation. As it turns out, I may have been onto something.

I think the article contained at the link below does a far better job at explaining your brown patch problem—its symptoms, its causes, and its treatments—than I ever could (remember the dead silk plant), so please check it out.

Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 04-02-2021, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
          Nitro-phos has is a very good fungicide at ACE hardware. I use it yearly as soon as I see it, but never used as a prevention tool.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
          Thanks for this, I am finding most of these fungicides require treatments every 2 to 4 weeks.

I guess there is really no preventative, just a treatment once it's started. I just need to stay ahead of it before i come home to a half dead yard again.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
            In my family, I am known as Nature’s mortician. In fact, I’ve even had a silk plant wither and die. So to say I’m no expert in lawn care and maintenance is putting it mildly. However, I do love to dabble in the natural sciences and it is this realm that I began to wonder whether your brown patches were caused by a pathogen (rather than, say, an infestation) and, if so, what kind. And based on your comment about nitrogen, I wondered what, if any, the role of pH might play in its cause and mitigation. As it turns out, I may have been onto something.

I think the article contained at the link below does a far better job at explaining your brown patch problem—its symptoms, its causes, and its treatments—than I ever could (remember the dead silk plant), so please check it out.

https://www.thespruce.com/brown-patc...isease-2153086
            Good article, based on that I will never stop it! Heat and high humidity...that's all we have in Ft. Bend County in the Summer!

I think one of my main problem sis my wife overwatering the lawn...not sure I have found a fix for that yet...

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
              Good article, based on that I will never stop it! Heat and high humidity...that's all we have in Ft. Bend County in the Summer!

I think one of my main problem sis my wife overwatering the lawn...not sure I have found a fix for that yet...

Perhaps showing her the article might help provide some perspective. That, and following the “rule” that if there’s dew on the grass in the morning, there’s no watering that day AT ALL. Maybe having concrete parameters like this will take the guess work out of wondering “should I or shouldn’t I” water the grass today.

All of the above and a good fungicide, too.

Comment

Perhaps showing her the article might help provide some perspective. That, and following the “rule” that if there’s dew on the grass in the morning, there’s no watering that day AT ALL. Maybe having concrete parameters like this will take the guess work out of wondering “should I or shouldn’t I” water the grass today.

All of the above and a good fungicide, too.
                No, the grass gets the same treatment as the pets and the deer and the chickens...they all get treats because they looked so hungry. Apparently grass has sad eyes too.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                  No, the grass gets the same treatment as the pets and the deer and the chickens...they all get treats because they looked so hungry. Apparently grass has sad eyes too.

Hah! She’s so sweet she’s going to love them all to death!

On the lighter side, you know that, if nothing else, you’ll always come home to a soft, loving woman. There are worse things.

Comment

Hah! She’s so sweet she’s going to love them all to death!

On the lighter side, you know that, if nothing else, you’ll always come home to a soft, loving woman. There are worse things.
                    Exactly, wouldn’t want any other, she’s the best.

Comment

The only time I water the lawn on a schedule is in late July to beginning of September. Other than that only water when it starts to look dry, and then to a real long deep soaking water. You don’t really ever need to water the grass in spring and rarely in early summer. This will grow deep roots and the lawn will require less watering overall.

Also in the late summer when we start to get longer cooler nights I start bagging the clippings rather mulching to help keep from creating a fungal breeding ground.

Comment

Sounds like your yard is like you.........high maintenance.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          Sounds like your yard is like you.........high maintenance.
                          You’re just scratching the surface...

Comment

Is it brown patch or do u have grub worms?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Do u have this?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X