Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PEX Freeze and Burst - Odd Plumbing or Standard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PEX Freeze and Burst - Odd Plumbing or Standard?

We had one pipe freeze and burst, it was in an uninsulated garage wall down to a water hose spigot.

I was thinking this was all CPVC as that was what was in the attic. Until I opened up the wall and found this:

You can see where it burst in the PEX.

Can any plumbers on here tell me if this is standard with or if this is just half assed?

I'm not sure about standard(what is standard anymore lol), but nothing wrong with it imo.
    Most likely it was the quickest & easiest way to make the connection with what the plumber had, or maybe that is standard for him.
    I know pex can bust, bust that's a first for me.

Comment

Just curious, did the wall have insulation, or the pipe have any type of insulation wrapped around it?

Comment

I had alot of pex outside fully exposed that didn't burst, all froze solid but no ruptures

Comment

What brand or type is that?
          I'm used to seeing the newer style and that is red/blue

Comment

I think that most new home construction in the Houston area uses Pex.

Comment

supposedly, pex will freeze and expand up to twice normal size without bursting.... my guess is that a piece as short as that had no room to expand

Comment

There are different manufacturing processes for pex and some are more flexible than others. Perhaps this was a "less flexible" version. I had some pex outside that froze solid (sprinker and animal watering systems) and zero damage.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
                  What brand or type is that?
                  I'm used to seeing the newer style and that is red/blue
                  My hose bibbs were all run in White Pex since they were tapped off before the water softener. My guess is the plumber only had pex elbows with the ears on his truck. Now would be a good opportunity to install a frost free hose bibb and heat trace the drop so it does not freeze in the future.

Comment

That doesn't appear to be PEX.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                      Just curious, did the wall have insulation, or the pipe have any type of insulation wrapped around it?
                      As stated in the OP, the wall was uninsulated, the pipe had the black foam pipe insulation.

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                        There are different manufacturing processes for pex and some are more flexible than others. Perhaps this was a "less flexible" version. I had some pex outside that froze solid (sprinker and animal watering systems) and zero damage.
                        I was told today the white PEX is less durable against freezing than the red and blue.

Comment

Originally posted by rudedog47 View Post
                          supposedly, pex will freeze and expand up to twice normal size without bursting.... my guess is that a piece as short as that had no room to expand
                          Agree with this guess, that’s what I was thinking as well.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                            I was told today the white PEX is less durable against freezing than the red and blue.
                            Color is just for identification:

PEX tubing normally falls into two main categories: PEX with an oxygen barrier and PEX without an oxygen barrier. PEX with an oxygen barrier is designed for closed-loop space heating systems, and will normally be either red or white. It is usually not approved for use with potable water. PEX without an oxygen barrier is designed primarily for use in potable water plumbing systems. It is available in red, blue, and white to make classification of water lines easier (red for hot, blue for cold, white for supply lines or single-color systems). The color of PEX does not change any of the tubing’s ratings.

PEX tubing normally falls into two main categories: PEX with an oxygen barrier and PEX without an oxygen barrier. PEX with an oxygen barrier is designed for closed-loop space heating systems, and w…

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                              That doesn't appear to be PEX.
                              SCHD 20 to pex fittings, with pex compression rings ?
                              😂😂😂😂🤦*♂️ if so.

Comment

Working...
                              X