7.3L turbo pedestal oil leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.3L turbo pedestal oil leak

Anyone ever change the pedestal o-ring on one. I'm 250 mile from home and my old truck started spitting oil out like crazy. I lost a gallon of oil in the last 75 miles. My boat is covered in it.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Yes it’s a easy job, probably can do in less than a hour.

They usually start as a slow leak and get worse with time, got to get it fixed before totally blows out.
    Last edited by RMW; 03-13-2021, 09:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
      Yes it’s a easy job, probably can do in less than a hour.

They usually start as a slow leak and get worse with time, got to get it fixed before totally blows out.
      I'd say It has totally blown.

Comment

I drove into Burnet this morning to buy oil. Truck leaked about 1/2 qt in the 28 miles I drove. At that rate I should be able to make it home on 2 gallons of oil.

Comment

You sure its the turbo pedestal and not the HPOP o-rings? It all ends up in the same place out the weep hole down the back of the motor?

Either way...I have done both. The turbo pedestal was a nutkick for a fat boy trying to lean over the motor on a 4x4. Other than that its not horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            You sure its the turbo pedestal and not the HPOP o-rings? It all ends up in the same place out the weep hole down the back of the motor?

Either way...I have done both. The turbo pedestal was a nutkick for a fat boy trying to lean over the motor on a 4x4. Other than that its not horrible.
            Hpop looks dryish but turbo is super wet. Im not looking forward to the stooping over the motor either.

I am going to build me a belly rest stool before I start this project.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210314-195502_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24646012

Last edited by Hoggslayer; 03-14-2021, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Them belly rests look like a great tool for us larger than life bellys on other jobs!

Comment

Just did this not to long ago on my 7.3. Honestly most likely your going to need a new turbo pedestal not just the rings. Either way your taking the pedestal off so if you have the money just go ahead and replace it. I’m a YouTube mechanic not an expert or anything but it took me an entire day. The hardest part are those dang band clamps around the turbo they are awful to get on and off. That and lining them back up when your putting it back together. I bet that part alone took me the longest time. But with how much the quote I got to have a mechanic to do it I would do it again.

Here’s the videos that helped me.

Also ordered all my parts through Riffraff diesel. It was $350 for everything I could possibly need but I got all the o rings, turbo pedestal and a plenum reinforcing insert. Honestly would recommend all of that. Those boots don’t fit right a second time.

Good luck and if you got the money a topside creeper would be cool or your belly’s gonna hurt ha

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                  Hpop looks dryish but turbo is super wet. Im not looking forward to the stooping over the motor either.

I am going to build me a belly rest stool before I start this project.[ATTACH]1043656[/ATTACH]

Those weren't wide load enough for me at the time but I certainly would have bought one if I could have

Comment

Those weren't wide load enough for me at the time but I certainly would have bought one if I could have
                    Why I said I was going to build one. I can build it way cheaper and it will be heavy-duty.

Comment

Why I said I was going to build one. I can build it way cheaper and it will be heavy-duty.

I might have to hire you out to build another if you get a good wide heavy duty one built..[emoji12][emoji23]

Comment

I might have to hire you out to build another if you get a good wide heavy duty one built..[emoji12][emoji23]
                        Maybe have him build a few. One for me. Except I want a couch model so I can turn sideways and take a nap too. Turn-n a wrench can get tire-n.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

I am going to build me a belly rest stool before I start this project.[ATTACH]1043656[/ATTACH]

Man thats 2 cool

Comment

Drove home this evening keeping it under 2k on the tachometer. 275 miles and leaked 1 quart of oil.

I don't get it, boat and underside of truck was covered in oil, like it was done for.

Then drive home and she hardly leaks at all compared to what it did.

Comment

Been using this. Legs can extend a little bit more. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210316_183854.jpg
Size:	118.8 KB
ID:	24646109Click image for larger version

Name:	20210316_183911.jpg
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	24646110

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                              X