Off-Grid Metal Building Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Been contemplating a metal building build out back to use for both storing the quads and trailers as well as having a living/kitchen area for get-together’s and family overflow.
    Smaller footprint but tall enough to have a loft for bunk beds above the kitchen area. The “living/kitchen/loft area would be self contained within the building itself and the shop area would not be temp controlled, but heavily insulated. Never seen this done, but would a 500 gallon water tank elevated in one corner of the building suffice for water storage and pressure to “make it” for a few days to a week? Would have a generator wired into the building to run the lights, window unit for cool or heat, frig, and coffee pot, plus few electronics. Wood stove in the living area/kitchen as well as a larger one in the shop to keep everything warm. Gas range for summer hurricanes/storms. I figure the water tank could be filled ahead of a big cold storm or hurricane.

What good and bad do you see with this? What would you do if this was your project?

Hard foam insulation sprayed in the whole building THICK (how thick would you go?)

Is the indoor water-tank a good idea?

Generator, plus wood stoves, plus propane range a good combo?

Any “must-haves” to make it liveable for a week of heat or a week of cold?

GO!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wood stove and a heater in the bathroom. I may have left a patch of skin on the toilet seat Tuesday,!

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
      Wood stove and a heater in the bathroom. I may have left a patch of skin on the toilet seat Tuesday,!

Do you think the elevated water tank would be a good idea?

Comment

Without seeing a proposed layout my first concern would be the elevated water tank. 500 gallons of water will weigh approximately 4200#. What will you use to support this? Also if elevated it is subject to freeze quicker in extreme conditions. I would place it on the ground and use a simple RV pump on a battery with a small battery tender or solar panel instead of using gravity.

As to insulation, I would definitely go with closed cell foam on the metal building and still insulate the frames areas inside with bath insulation. I also recommend 2” thick if you can afford it. My shop is currently sprayed with 1” of foam and it has stayed about 10-15° above ambient with no heat source. However my well house is insulated with 2” of foam and it has maintained above freezing inside with no heat source (I will be remedying that soon) even when the temps have been below zero for 2 nights this past week.

If you desire to be able to sleep in the loft area at minimum I would build some type of wood burning stove inside the shop area. It doesn’t take much to heat these buildings when they are well insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          Without seeing a proposed layout my first concern would be the elevated water tank. 500 gallons of water will weigh approximately 4200#. What will you use to support this? Also if elevated it is subject to freeze quicker in extreme conditions. I would place it on the ground and use a simple RV pump on a battery with a small battery tender or solar panel instead of using gravity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Of course this is all preliminary, but I was thinking I beam frame and legs 100% welded and tied into building columns so I can frame out below it for storage.

Comment

If you ever watch the off the ranch YouTube videos on YouTube they do an off the grid metal building similar to what your describing. Has a solar system for power, and mini split ac. Seems like a neat idea.

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
              Do you think the elevated water tank would be a good idea?

Absolutely....I'd also insulate the tank. Until Monday, I never would have made that recommendation but now I see it could potentially be necessary. Just remember, you gain .433 of PSI for every foot of elevation so unless the building is 60 feet tall you should plan on a pump unless you want just a trickle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Jon B; 02-18-2021, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                Absolutely....I'd also insulate the tank. Until Monday, I never would have made that recommendation but now I see it could potentially be necessary. Just remember, you gain .433 of PSI for every foot of elevation so unless the building is 60 feet tall you should plan on a pump unless you want just a trickle.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

The elevation was more for space conservation over pressure, but worst case scenario would supply both in the case of a pump going out. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by guru27 View Post
                  If you ever watch the off the ranch YouTube videos on YouTube they do an off the grid metal building similar to what your describing. Has a solar system for power, and mini split ac. Seems like a neat idea.
                  Link????

Comment

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LP3VnYHq7lQ&t=604s"]Demolition Ranch Headquarters Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

I'll second the Demolition Ranch vids. Texas Barndominiums on YouTube.

Comment

1000 gallon tank on the ground with a demand pump. The pump can be a/c or d/c whichever you decide to go with. You will use more water in a week than you think. You can find tankless water heater that uses propane and D cell batteries for igniters. They work very good.

Comment

I don’t have a water tank, but my family has been living in similar to what the OP is describing for nearly 3 years. It’s definitely doable.

Comment

Working...
                          X