Coon for tablefare?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coon for tablefare?

I posted this on the coon carnage thread, but thought I would share here as well.

I have a friend who is a sous vide cooking expert. He has been on me to bring him a coon to cook using sous vide. I was VERY skeptical, but finally gave in and brought him one a few weeks ago.

I'll try just about anything once, but did not have high expectations. I was very surprised how good it was. I'm not going to be saving many, but will be keeping him in all the coons he can take.
    Last edited by 220swift; 12-29-2020, 12:51 PM.

pic

pic
    Attached Files

Comment

BBQ is a good way to cook coon also

Comment

I’ll pass.

Comment

I heard a MeatEater podcast where they talked about eating it. I'll typically try anything once, and i've tried a lot of weird food from foreign countries, but i don't know if i'm actually willing to try cooked trash panda.

Comment

There are too many good things in the world to eat for me to want to try that. That said, I sold a couple hundred coon carcasses back in the day for $5 each cleaned and prepped. Was a nice add on to the fur trapping profits.

Comment

If you have to try it...Parboil the quarters. Smoke over mesquite wood, brushed with sauce of your liking. Coon is very greasy meat. The fat will drip away leaving a fairly edible hunk of meat. I’ve ate it once! :-)

Comment

Not quite as good as house-cat, but better than 'possum.

Comment

I think he cooked this one at 145 degrees for 40 hours and then seared it with a blow torch.

Comment

Had it once deep fried. Wasn’t bad, but wasn’t good enough for me to clean the next one I killed. Glad I tried it, but not something I’m going to save a shelf in the freezer for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have to remember this thread during EMP times.

When I'm starving.

Comment

Tastes like owl...

Comment

Tried it once,to greasy for me

Comment

Coon is in the bear family, if you’ve had bear you'll like coons too, nice fatty meat. Perfect for grilling.

Comment

eeeuuuwww!

Comment

Working...
                              X