No announcement yet.

A year in the life of a farm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, I've been at the ranch most of the time since Thanksgiving. Going back in the morning till the end of January.I'll give a more detailed report once the season ends but here are a couple of high lights.

Hunting the farm was tough this year. Oct. is usually the best month and it was rain, hot, mosquitos, acorns. Food plots were worthless to hunt and woods were life threatening from mosquitos. We didn't take any of the top end bucks and consider this a rebuilding year. Did take a 165" 8 pt that was nice. I'll get finally tally on harvest and report later.

The ice storm with 20' temps killed all the radishes. Smelly mess. Turnips are Ok as well as small grains. All in all food plots are awesome and should provide solid late season recovery.

Above average year at the ranch. I attribute it to a wet winter last year and a lot of top end bucks in the 7-9 yr range. Good news is we are having another wet winter. If conditions hold thru spring next yr could be epic. We are letting most of the biggest bucks go this year.

That said my buddy took this 195 4/8" 8 yr old 18 pt with his bow. Videod the whole thing of course. from a mgt. perspective interesting to note that this buck was in the 160's as a 6 yr old. Age is your friend.
    Attached Files

Comment

What a stud!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great Buck El Gato!!!

Comment

Great buck!

Comment

Awesome buck

Comment

Great buck

Comment

Nice buck.

Comment

Awesome deer. I look forward to reading more about your season.

Comment

Took 3 days on and off to read through this thread. Thanks for all the input. Almost felt like I was hunting and working right along with you.

Comment

Great deer Rusty! Next year will be epic across east tx and West La also. the acorn crop saved the lives of tons off mature bucks across the DCNF as well. We made the decision to pass several whoppers that were young and just didnt get it done on several more. cant wait to see how they turn out next year. My does are so fat they look like they were aired up with an airhose.

Comment

On your buddy's buck, is the right side G4 broken or did it just grow that much shorter than the other side? Tremendous buck and he got it with his bow to boot!

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                          On your buddy's buck, is the right side G4 broken or did it just grow that much shorter than the other side? Tremendous buck and he got it with his bow to boot!
                          Nothing broken...an advantage of taking him early season. I think the 4 on rt followed the main beam and is hard to see. He was fairly balanced to have as many points. I'll see if I have more of a side photo that shows different angle.

The video he took from his blind capturing shot and all is amazing . TV quality stuff.

Comment

Good grief

Comment

Great buck....congrats.

Comment

Wow. Really nice buck!

Comment

Working...
                                X