Down hill or photo trickery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Down hill or photo trickery?

Pretty sure he's the same deer. Is the black background making him look much bigger last year, or did he lose a lot? I know he doesn't score much, but was thinking he would be more impressive this year.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

I think it’s the same deer. Does look pretty old so may have lost
    Some

Comment

Hard to really tell, but that dude is definitely getting free coffee at McDonalds……whack him if ya get the chance.

Comment

Looks like the same deer to me and hes lost a bit. That happened the to buck i killed last year. He went 143 7/8 at 6.5 and probably was over 150 at 5.5.

Comment

Roman nose tells it all

Comment

Roman nose and bottom neck line going to middle of Brisket area I believe he is post mature. I could be wrong but I dont think so. Teeth are probably worn down.

Comment

I know he's old, but was thinking 6-7, hoped I had another year of growth in him.

Comment

Just let him roll another year or two and see if he bounces back. That happens a LOT. Everyone gets so concerned about a deer getting smaller, or on the “decline” and they shoot him. Why not just give them the chance to come back? A lot of the time they will come back better than ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                  Just let him roll another year or two and see if he bounces back. That happens a LOT. Everyone gets so concerned about a deer getting smaller, or on the “decline” and they shoot him. Why not just give them the chance to come back? A lot of the time they will come back better than ever.
                  I would have let the deer i shot go another year if i didnt hunt on 20 acres with hunters around me.

Comment

Same deer. Too much corn or mast and not enough protein can do that. If they get the protein they need the horns can bounce back. He is mature but not past his prime. He could explode next year if nothing kills him.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                      Same deer. Too much corn or mast and not enough protein can do that. If they get the protein they need the horns can bounce back. He is mature but not past his prime. He could explode next year if nothing kills him.

This is my opinion too... Down South, we had a nice wet summer, but the rains came late... We poured the protein and cottonseed to our deer as much as they'd eat, yet almost all of our prime deer, our "we'll shoot 'em next year" deer either did not change or only improved 3-5 inches over last year... I really think the freeze combined with a dry early spring set our deer back some. A bunch of our bucks that I'd have thought would be ready will get a pass this year... Our deer can peak as early as 6 but many will come back strong at 7 or 8 consistently.

Comment

Comment

Most of the deer I was able to follow for several years on my last LF place that was 9K acres grew their best or 2nd best rack around 8-9.

Comment

The deer is safe, no one hunting for a couple of miles that I'm aware of. Was just hoping for him to wow me this year. He'll probably die of old age, hopefully later than sooner.

He's not been fed any protein and probably less than 5 lbs of corn in his entire life. Just a fatty on natural browse.

Comment

That is an old deer.

Comment

Working...
                              X