Antler Restriction Candidate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antler Restriction Candidate

Man, this is one of those times I wish I could buy a "4.5+ y/o buck" tag regardless of width. I think he's 5ish + and right on 13". Headed up tonight and may run into him this weekend. So I'll ask, is he wide enough?
    Attached Files

Yep

Comment

Darn close...

Comment

He is.

Comment

I’m with the yes crowd

Comment

I think so.

Comment

Not going to say without seeing a straight on picture.
              I've got one here that looks almost identical to yours at that angle.
              2 frames later on the same night and same camera with him looking straight on, his ear tips would have curled around his antlers at the widest point.

He looks 'close' there, but I would hope for a better look before pulling the trigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
                Not going to say without seeing a straight on picture.
                I've got one here that looks almost identical to yours at that angle.
                2 frames later on the same night and same camera with him looking straight on, his ear tips would have curled around his antlers at the widest point.

He looks 'close' there, but I would hope for a better look before pulling the trigger.
                Ya I will have to get a good look at him before making the call. He's a mature deer though and doesn't come around much. Chasing a different big deer this weekend, but wouldn't mind taking one for the team (one buck county) and getting this guy out of the gene pool. Plus I have a soft spot for old six pointers

Comment

I think that he squeezes in. But I have talked to several of our local wardens and as long as the deer is fully mature they are flexible. Keep in mind the ARs were written to allow the deer to mature not grow bigger antlers which is a bi-product of maturity. In this case the AR has served its purpose.

Comment

That is one of those if you have doubts it is probably for a good reson. That looks tooooo close to let it fly to me.

Comment

I think he is good

Comment

Nope. 12"

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                          I think that he squeezes in. But I have talked to several of our local wardens and as long as the deer is fully mature they are flexible. Keep in mind the ARs were written to allow the deer to mature not grow bigger antlers which is a bi-product of maturity. In this case the AR has served its purpose.
                          That is the way it SHOULD be but most GW's are going to go by the letter of the law and not the INTENT of the law.

I think he is wide enough, barely. Mature buck will have slightly longer ears than younger ones

Comment

Yes a 12” ruler easily fits between the beams.

Comment

That deer will make it and I’d shoot him every day of the week, and twice on Sundays.

Comment

Working...
                              X