Identity theft and hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Identity theft and hack

Probably connected to me selling a house. First, got a letter from WF with my credit score and reference to a credit card I did not apply for. It was mailing to the home which was being sold but I had all mail forwarded to my new place so was able to intercept and get that closed.
    Yesterday we closed on the sale and I deposited the check with a real, live teller in the bank and asked for a printed receipt with balance. Checked online last night and there was a $1 debit a few days ago using my wife's name. Bank could not trace it and all we could do was freeze all accounts. Had to go in to a branch this morning and get everything transferred to new accounts. Wondering if someone was waiting to see when I'd drop that big check in there?

Kill All Thieves

Been there. I had to lock my credit (with passwords) with all 3 credit companies.
    Also registered my cell number to be called when new lines of credit are trying to be opened.

Comment

I keep my credit score so low, nobody could do anything with it.

Comment

Been on Lifelock for going on 10 years I believe. I received a warrant from the AG office in Florida for the arrest of my mom. Some d b had stolen her i d and bought groceries and toys and clothes. I told them how my mom was 85 with dementia. So I had to file a case with Katy P D and send em the case number. After that got her on Lifelock as well. The savy ones steal your info, use it for three days and ditch it.

Comment

Someone filed a false tax return in my name about 8-10 years ago. It took about 9 months to get my refund. The IRS now mails me a pin number to use when I file my taxes. I have locked my credit with all 3 credit reporting companies ever since then. I also found a new credit card opened in my name with BOA when I logged into my account a few years ago. Then I found 2 charges in the SE Dallas are the day after using my debit card at a Cheddar's several years ago. That was the first time I used my debit card in months, so there is no doubt that someone at the restaurant sold the number and used it within 5-10 miles of there.

I have ID theft insurance through Zander Insurance, recommended by Dave Ramsey. I have realized that ID theft is inevitable in today's world. I no longer use my debit card, I do not want anyone else stealing my money out of my account. I'd rather they get Visa or Mastercard's money instead of mine.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
            I keep my credit score so low, nobody could do anything with it.
            You serious, Clark?

Comment

New bank accounts and all my money is there ( thank you Lord[emoji120]).
              New rules for my household and new protection all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't know how they do it but I had a debit card hacked before I even received the new card in the mail. 4 debit card hacks in less than a year. I am now locked everywhere and don't use a debit card anywhere except at my bank to get cash. Sometimes not even then, I go inside an write a check for cash.
                I have also had a CC hacked but caught it in time. The hacker ordered a pool filter and pump online and had it delivered to a home address. I had called the place where the charge was made and inquired about where the order was and what address they sent it to. Person on the phone gave me the delivery address and I pulled it up on Google Earth. Low and behold that was the only house on that street with a swimming pool in the backyard. I turned all that info over to my bank official and disputed the charges so I was not out any $$$.
                I often wonder if anything was ever done to these lowlifes and how they even got my CC info.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny44 View Post
                  i keep my credit score so low, nobody could do anything with it.
                  hahaha!!!

Comment

Happened again today. $3000 transfer from my savings caught in the pending stage and got it stopped. Bank confirmed my wife’s login used again.
                    She only uses the bank app on her iPhone

I had her delete every app downloaded in the last 6 months and anything non-essential. Ran iOS update and went through all her privacy settings. Using a new email account as well. What else can I do?

Comment

Dealing with it now, it's a *****.

Comment

So sorry you are going thru this.
                        As if we don’t support lowlifes enough with our taxes from our hard earned paychecks.

BP

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                          Happened again today. $3000 transfer from my savings caught in the pending stage and got it stopped. Bank confirmed my wife’s login used again.
                          She only uses the bank app on her iPhone

I had her delete every app downloaded in the last 6 months and anything non-essential. Ran iOS update and went through all her privacy settings. Using a new email account as well. What else can I do?

Sounds like someone may have her apple id info. There's some scary stuff that can go on with these phones now days, especially if someone gets your apple id. I would go to the apple store and reset her password there or start with a new phone and new apple id.

Comment

It has never happened to me but has happened to the wife a couple of times. It always traces back to buying stuff online.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                              Sounds like someone may have her apple id info. There's some scary stuff that can go on with these phones now days, especially if someone gets your apple id. I would go to the apple store and reset her password there or start with a new phone and new apple id.
                              This is my big concern. Just got her pword changed there too.

Strange part in all this is that there is way, way more money there than they tried to get. Perhaps hoping we would not notice?
                              Last edited by TexaRican; 07-21-2021, 07:19 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X