No announcement yet.

6.5 creed vs. 6.5 prc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d prolly commit a low level crime to find some 6.5 PRC Lapua brass right now 6.5 Creed stuff is a dime a dozen, brass at least.

Comment

Pulled out Ballistic AE data. They are using box printed velocities.
      260FPS is the difference. Reasonable but not worth it. 375-400 FPS (distance of a football field) would be worth getting into a new caliber. If you hand load hot you can get close. But that has its issues. Biggest problem with PRC is availability of boxed ammo. But that’s 2021.

Comment

Lots of energy coming out of the prc.

Comment

I've done a lot of research lately on the 6.5 Creedmoor and the 6.5 PRC. What it boils down to for me is wanting a light recoiling round with more punch than a .243 Win. I am looking for a new rifle for the wife, daughter-in-law, and grandson to use. I already have a .270 Win, so the 6.5 PRC does not really do much for me that the .270 doesn't already do, especially at the available hunting ranges I have available to me. All shots are 300 yards or less, so the 6.5 Creedmor for the wife is all I need, and the .270 Win is my primary go to for the same available shots/ranges. Available game for us is Whitetail and hogs, so the 6.5 Creedmoor is great for the available game. On top of that I don't handload, so factory ammo availability and ammo price is definitely something I have also taken into consideration. For me the 6.5 Creedmoor checks all of the boxes.

Comment

For 9,999/10,000 hunters, the 6.5 Creedmoor will be just as effective as a 6.5 PRC in hunting situations at a significantly less recoil AND with a tremendously larger availability of ammo.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
              For 9,999/10,000 hunters, the 6.5 Creedmoor will be just as effective as a 6.5 PRC in hunting situations at a significantly less recoil AND with a tremendously larger availability of ammo.
              I agree with the first part of your statement, but I ammo shop almost daily all over west Texas. PRC has been considerably easier to find lately, and before this craze started last year it was just as easy to find as Creedmoor. It is however more expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                I agree with the first part of your statement, but I ammo shop almost daily all over west Texas. PRC has been considerably easier to find lately, and before this craze started last year it was just as easy to find as Creedmoor. It is however more expensive.
                That's interesting. Here in the Houston area (and in other major metropolitan areas I'm sure) at stores such as Bass Pro, Academy, Wal mart, Etc..., there has been quite a few different selections of 6.5 CM, but not much or any at all of 6.5 PRC.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  6.5x55 ole son!
                  Yes sir ! over 100 years old and going strong.

Comment

The PRC shines for me based on that I hand load for it. First, you gain 300fps over the CM and even in my 8lb rifle (with brake) the recoil is super soft and fun to shoot. Second, I load for a lot of larger magnum rifles and therefore my powders are mostly slow burning magnum powders. Which fits the bill for the PRC loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Would say PRC

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                        That's interesting. Here in the Houston area (and in other major metropolitan areas I'm sure) at stores such as Bass Pro, Academy, Wal mart, Etc..., there has been quite a few different selections of 6.5 CM, but not much or any at all of 6.5 PRC.
                        There’s not as many choices by any means, but it’s been on the shelf dang near every time I’ve stopped lately. There for about a year I could rarely find it, but I couldn’t find 6.5 CM on the shelf at that time either. CM definitely has a lot more loads available for it.

Comment

Agreed with this, reloading for prc is where it really shines and pushes the heavies.

Originally posted by canny View Post
                          The PRC shines for me based on that I hand load for it. First, you gain 300fps over the CM and even in my 8lb rifle (with brake) the recoil is super soft and fun to shoot. Second, I load for a lot of larger magnum rifles and therefore my powders are mostly slow burning magnum powders. Which fits the bill for the PRC loads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am also considering a PRC but the ammo situation is not well. I would get plenty of ammo first. I have a 6.5 Creed with plenty of ammo, and for Texas hunting I'm fine

On these topics,

ammo, does anybody shoot this ? -
                            SELLIER AND BELLOT CENTERFIRE RIFLE BRASS 6.5 CREEDMOOR 156-GRAIN 20-ROUNDS SP
                            I typically shoot the 6.5 hornady 143 ELDX but curious if anyone shoots Sellier.
                            Its a soft point, maybe lead, probably not good on the barrell but 156 grain, heavy for a 6.5.

I was back and forth on the 6.5 PRC or 300 winmag. For deer it doesn't matter but elk and Nilgai are on my bucket list. Is the PRC ok for the Nilgai?

Comment

I have the CM and PRC and love them both but I’m looking hard at the 26 Nosler. I just can’t find one unless I want to get the CA Ridgeline.

Comment

Working...
                              X