handgun hunting, Model 29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

handgun hunting, Model 29

So the handgun hunting thread got me thinking about my S&W model 29 in 44 mag. I have always wanted to use it on pigs, but have never gotten enough confidence in it with open sights.

So, if I want to mount a red dot on it, is anyone familiar with how I would mount it? From what I can tell online, it is a N-frame. I am thinking a red dot would work well and I would still like to be able to put it in a holster. I believe the type of red dot is called a reflex?

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078G7N6QQ...aa_scomp_srsr2

Originally posted by wickll View Post
    So the handgun hunting thread got me thinking about my S&W model 29 in 44 mag. I have always wanted to use it on pigs, but have never gotten enough confidence in it with open sights.

So, if I want to mount a red dot on it, is anyone familiar with how I would mount it? From what I can tell online, it is a N-frame. I am thinking a red dot would work well and I would still like to be able to put it in a holster. I believe the type of red dot is called a reflex?

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078G7N6QQ...aa_scomp_srsr2
    does make them a lot harder to find a holster for,, might take a look at crimson trace laser grips,,,

Comment

Diamond D Outdoors will make you a bandolier type holster worth the money that will fit. You’ll just have to send them a picture with some measurements. I have one for my Ruger Blackhawk in .41 mag that fits perfectly.
      Attached Files

Comment

How old is your N frame? If it's a newer model it will be drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Just remove the rear sight and there should be three threaded holes. But the mount and you are good to go. If it's and older model you would be better off selling it and get a newer one that's d&t.

Comment

Get yourself some confidence and shoot that ***** with open sights! It’s very satisfying!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
            How old is your N frame? If it's a newer model it will be drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Just remove the rear sight and there should be three threaded holes. But the mount and you are good to go. If it's and older model you would be better off selling it and get a newer one that's d&t.
            This guy has one or two!

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Weigand-Smith...g-goods&sr=1-3
              I don't know exactly how old, but I have had it over 20 years. I traded an old gunsmith for it. It was actually one of his personal guns so it has some sentimental value. Although I wish I still had the Kleingunther which I trade for it, this gun is one I won't sell . He actually killed a couple of mule deer with it.

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                Get yourself some confidence and shoot that ***** with open sights! It’s very satisfying!
                Good point. The previous owner shot a couple of deer with it. As far as I know, he only used it open sight. Unfortunately, my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Comment

Thanks, for the replies.

Comment

I can help you with a holster as well. PM me if you are interested. Located in New Braunfels btw.

Comment

Working...
                    X