Identity theft and hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
    It has never happened to me but has happened to the wife a couple of times. It always traces back to buying stuff online.

-john
    Stupid "free" games on the phone/ipad, clicking on FB videos, web sites, IG, Vine, Tiktok. I've been fighting her and my kid on that mess for years. Always leads to trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
      This is my big concern. Just got her pword changed there too.

Strange part in all this is that there is way, way more money there than they tried to get. Perhaps hoping we would not notice?
      I'll give you the short version of what happened to me/my business. Someone hacked into my VP's info/email. Used his email/office account to set up apple business manager. That's an MDM solution that allows you to do whatever you want with apple devices in your organization. They had full access to everything on my business. They deleted Quickbooks. It was a disaster trying to manage stuff. We are just now almost done rebuilding qbooks from 2018 and 2019 to see exactly what was stolen. I know it isn't pretty. I had to freeze everything and go take my vendors cash to pay invoices to make sure they were legit invoices. I had to keep a paper ledger in a book I took with me everywhere. I went to my local sheriff office and they were like, huh? Whats cyber crime???? So I went to the FBI and they said they wouldn't help me unless I had lost over a million dollars. I guess that's their policy to make it worth their time. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. Longest 2 years I've ever had and I'm still dealing with paying stuff off!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
        Someone filed a false tax return in my name about 8-10 years ago. It took about 9 months to get my refund. The IRS now mails me a pin number to use when I file my taxes. I have locked my credit with all 3 credit reporting companies ever since then. I also found a new credit card opened in my name with BOA when I logged into my account a few years ago. Then I found 2 charges in the SE Dallas are the day after using my debit card at a Cheddar's several years ago. That was the first time I used my debit card in months, so there is no doubt that someone at the restaurant sold the number and used it within 5-10 miles of there.

I have ID theft insurance through Zander Insurance, recommended by Dave Ramsey. I have realized that ID theft is inevitable in today's world. I no longer use my debit card, I do not want anyone else stealing my money out of my account. I'd rather they get Visa or Mastercard's money instead of mine.
        This. OP do this. Get a good CC, don't use debit card, and freeze all accounts. Been there, done that. Chase has been good about getting me paid back, but I'd rather Visa have to Chase down their money, than ask Chase to find my money for me.

If you are hesitate to spend money on a CC, then take out cash.

Comment

My wife gets all kinds of spam emails her cards/debit have been compromised etc. knock on wood it’s never been anything in my name always hers. Can’t explain why or how

Comment

Wow, just wow. This has been a total attack on my family. So wife’s login got used again and they tried to take $2500 and change by ACH to a check cashing place from my checking. Back to chase this morning and new accounts again.
            This time I wiped wife’s phone, set up new Apple ID, pword and deleted all non-critical apps when re-setting up the phone. Zero bank access via phone now and dual factor with all new info on web browser.
            Opened new accts at a different bank and am mobing cash over. No online access.
            Meanwhile I get credit alert today and somebody is applying for credit union loans using my info in GA and VA. I have done the credit freeze with all 3 agencies. All this while trying to refi my new home bridge loan. Stress level RED right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

First as other said above, never carry the debit card. Wife had hers stolen and we had to mop up.

I'm paranoid and I'd probably take the phone down to the shop and see if they install a new sim and just restore contacts, crush the old one. Change all account pw to strenuous pws from a known clean device. Could be a pc with a trojan too.

I have the same wife / facebook problem, I might tell my wife the hackers have her facebook account and every time she logs in again they'll have the credentials again just to see if you could keep her off fk book for life.

Comment

Working...
              X