Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-11-2021, 11:33 AM   #1
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lease less
Default Kidney stones

Man! Forget being worried about Covid! Iím dealing with my first ever kidney stone. This is is miserable, I wouldnít wish it on my worst enemy.
WildMatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
RMW
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Down South

Sorry to hear, my dad use to get them every couple years when he was in his 40s. I’m mid 40s now and haven’t got one yet thank god. How old are you?
RMW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 11:51 AM   #3
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

I feel for you. I’ve given birth to at least ten. The first one scared me to death because I had no idea what was going on. Thought I was dying. You get used to them after that, though.

Try to drink plenty of water to flush that thing on through. My doctor has also recommended taking Azo which has an OTC medication that soothes the lining of the lower urinary tract. It is helpful in reducing the (irritatingly) constant sensation of needing to urinate. Also helps if you have pain during urination.

If the pain in your lower back (where the kidneys are) continues to get worse throughout the day, don’t wait until right before you go to bed to get relief. Pain that can sometimes be ignored by the distractions of your daily activities seems to come roaring to life when it’s time to go to bed. Get thee to an ER long before then to get some medication relief.

Good luck.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:00 PM   #4
Mbbriggs05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

I have battled those evil monsters for just over a decade.........point blank, they suck! I have learned a few tricks to ease the discomfort and help pass them.

1. Fill up a bath tub and soak in it. I don't know what it does but it provides a tremendous amount of pain relief.

2. Get a perscription for some type of dilation medicine such as Flomax

3. If the pain is unbearable go to your PCP and get a shot of Toridal...it works almost instantly but doesn't loop you out of your mind like narcotics will.

4. Beer....grab a six pack of your favorite flavor and drink them. It curbs the pain a little but more importantly it makes your kidneys get to work and flushes them out in turn moving the monsters on along.

Good luck and if you can catch them in a strainer there are tests the can run on them to determine what they are caused from. Some of the causes are treatable with medication or even diet change.
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
Gunnyart
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Gouldbusk, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
I have battled those evil monsters for just over a decade.........point blank, they suck! I have learned a few tricks to ease the discomfort and help pass them.

1. Fill up a bath tub and soak in it. I don't know what it does but it provides a tremendous amount of pain relief.

3. If the pain is unbearable go to your PCP and get a shot of Toridal...it works almost instantly but doesn't loop you out of your mind like narcotics will.

4. Beer....grab a six pack of your favorite flavor and drink them. It curbs the pain a little but more importantly it makes your kidneys get to work and flushes them out in turn moving the monsters on along.

Good luck and if you can catch them in a strainer there are tests the can run on them to determine what they are caused from. Some of the causes are treatable with medication or even diet change.
I'll pass these tips along to my 89 year old dad who is battling his first one... 9mm Says he'd rather die.
Gunnyart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:07 PM   #6
Shake N' Bake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Where ever im invited

I'm 41 and ive been getting one about every 5 years since I was 20.
Most of them result in an ER visit and a few doses of morphine.

Get your urologist to prescribe you flowmax, it might help.
Shake N' Bake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:10 PM   #7
CEO
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX, MO, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
The first one scared me to death because I had no idea what was going on. Thought I was dying.
This was me. Had no idea what was happening, but knew it wasn't good. ER lady knew exactly what it was when I got there.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:15 PM   #8
hog_down
Ten Point

Drink a lot of cranberry juice, and good luck. I've had them before, and they are the most painful things I have had to go through.

My urologist said that he has talked with tons of women who have had kidney stones and given birth naturally, and they said the kidney stones were more painful.

I had a big one that was too big to pass naturally, and had to be broken up with sound waves, and I had to pass the broken up pieces. Also, some stones are shaped like sticker burrs, so they don't want to go with the flow...

I'm sorry that you have to go through all this.

Last edited by hog_down; 10-11-2021 at 12:18 PM.
hog_down is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #9
RedBear78
Eight Point

Hunt In: Warren,Sourlake,Angelina forest

Yes the beer works wonders.I started getting stones about once a year in my mid 20s until I got my gall bladders removed.I don’t know what one had to do with the other but that was my experience.I have 2 stones in a kidney at present but they don’t seem to be affecting anything.First one I had hit me fast I thought I was going to give birth right through my back rib cage I hit the floor and couldn’t move or hardly breathe.My dad and grandpa got them so even though it was scary I was pretty sure what it was.
RedBear78 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:16 PM   #10
WilliamL
Six Point

Hunt In: Tx and Kansas

I had a few myself. Get in the shower and let the hot water hit you in the area of the pain. This helped me a lot. Along with some good pain meds. Had to go under twice to have them removed…. Sucked… I second Toradol as well. Really helps

Last edited by WilliamL; 10-11-2021 at 12:20 PM.
WilliamL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post

So the first time I think it decided to tell me it was here was about 3 weeks ago. I was at work and dying for like an Hr. Popped some ibuprofen and chugged some water and everything was fine. Well night before last it came back with a vengeance. 4.5 hrs in the ER later I got a CT to confirm a 5mm stone, 1 liter of fluid, a urine analyze and a script for flomax and Toradol. Yesterday was an absolute nightmare but today is better. Didnít grab any beer but Iíve been chugging cranberry juice like no oneís business. Hopefully this dang thing decides to up and vacate soon. Oh also Iím not a big bath guy but you are right Iíve managed about 12 of them in the past 2 days and they definitely take the edge off
Old 10-11-2021, 12:22 PM   #12
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

I know there is nothing funny about having a kidney stone but Foxworthy's bit on them is the best.

Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:31 PM   #13
Mbbriggs05
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildMatt84 View Post
So the first time I think it decided to tell me it was here was about 3 weeks ago. I was at work and dying for like an Hr. Popped some ibuprofen and chugged some water and everything was fine. Well night before last it came back with a vengeance. 4.5 hrs in the ER later I got a CT to confirm a 5mm stone, 1 liter of fluid, a urine analyze and a script for flomax and Toradol. Yesterday was an absolute nightmare but today is better. Didnít grab any beer but Iíve been chugging cranberry juice like no oneís business. Hopefully this dang thing decides to up and vacate soon. Oh also Iím not a big bath guy but you are right Iíve managed about 12 of them in the past 2 days and they definitely take the edge off
Good deal! I say a couple prayers for you, those things are the worst!
Old 10-11-2021, 12:35 PM   #14
kyle1974
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hebbronville

I had one in college that required a lithotripsy to be removed. approx 7mmx5mm

It knocked me on my ***. thankfully I've never had one like that since. It was absolute misery.
kyle1974 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:40 PM   #15
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

I've never had one, but my wife has several a year. She prefers phenergan over pain pills. Good luck. I wish them on nobody.
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #16
Killer
Ten Point

Hunt In: God's green earth

Foxworthy is some kind of funny.
Killer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 01:08 PM   #17
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Had 2. One on each side. All i can say is God bless the man who invented dilaudid.
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 01:10 PM   #18
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

I had one 4-5 yrs ago and yeah, women describe it as giving birth to a child.
The pain in my back started out as low/mild but kept increasing in pain level to where you couldn't sit still, and eventually so bad that I was sick to my stomach while my wife and son drove me to the ER. Took them forever to get me a morphine IV but by then, the doctor said I'd already passed it. Yes, FloMax is your best friend afterward and lots of water. The following week, I kept passing a speck or two here and there, the Dr. said that was normal and was coming from where the stone had passed.
Cranberry juice doesn't hurt either but since then I've really increased my intake of water, tea, and juices. Pickle juice helps too if you can't stomach vinegar by itself. And I've real backed off of the sodas as well. Haven't had another episode since nor any more UTIs.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 01:14 PM   #19
WyoBull
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming

I have battled them off an on since about 1993. I truly feel your pain.
If it is small enough to pass, drink lots of fluids to get the flushing of your urinary tract going.
If the pain continues to get stronger it may be too big to pass an will require a ureteroscopy or lithotripsy.
Good luck to you.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
WyoBull is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 04:59 PM   #20
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpitdog View Post
Had 2. One on each side. All i can say is God bless the man who invented dilaudid.
I canít imagine having 2 at once
Old 10-11-2021, 05:16 PM   #21
fishycatfish
Ten Point

Hunt In: McCulloch & Mason Counties

Had 2 a few years ago stuck between kidney and bladder with a mild infection, started around 9 at night and stayed up till 5am to call into work and drive myself to the ER. I thought for sure I was dying, tried showers, laying in the bathtub, sitting on the toilet lol and walking around. Still felt like someone was twisting a knife in me. Good luck man, they suck.
fishycatfish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 05:23 PM   #22
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Picarosas North and South, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

Yup...Quite painful. I have had them 2x requiring a hospital stay and lithotripsy. I have kept myself well hydrated since and have not had an attack(knock wood) in 13 years. Stents in and out were quite the experience. Yahoo!
The ONLY humor I can find in it all is, a lot of strangers get to play with your hammer and insurance pays for it
Hang in there. You will get through it. You will learn the hard way, like we all did about hydration and things we should not consume without expecting issues.
Good luck.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #23
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County
Default Kidney stones

Man I hate those **** things. Hope yours come out soon!!

Mine were directly related to taking too much D3 in a supplement. Evidently it promotes calcium buildup in the kidneys. Concerns me since that is something that is suggested in large amounts should I catch the Covid Ö

Both of these passed. The first one was brutal two night befores it came through. Took close to 6 weeks to pass. It was just a little irritating to go to the bathroom. Never was much pain until the two days before. .. Nurse Deb said she couldnít believe that passed. Looks like I made my own mini flint TBH broadhead.

Second one 6 months later. Only took two weeks to pass.

Last edited by Smart; 10-11-2021 at 06:37 PM.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 05:51 PM   #24
Gringolevi
Four Point

Hunt In: Amistad, Colorado, Lake Whitney Fair chase public lands

I feel for you, I have been getting them since I was 15. I have about 10 per year and have to get a lithotripsy every 4/5 years to break up some monsters. It's a pain you can't ever get use to
Gringolevi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 06:13 PM   #25
WildMatt84
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringolevi View Post
I feel for you, I have been getting them since I was 15. I have about 10 per year and have to get a lithotripsy every 4/5 years to break up some monsters. It's a pain you can't ever get use to
That sounds absolutely horrible
Old 10-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #26
bbbuck
Six Point

Hunt In: Public Land

Been there done that. Who knew something that small could hurt so much.
bbbuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 06:28 PM   #27
twistedmidnite
Ten Point

Hunt In: texas

I feel for ya brother. I take potassium citrate and allopurinol daily to fight them. Had to have two percutaneous nephrolithotomys in the last 3 years. Like has been said, hot hot shower/bath is your friend. Iv stayed in there for 5 hours straight before.
twistedmidnite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #28
speck1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas,Idaho and Utah

10 days ago we were headed to Utah for an elk hunt. Kidney stone pain hit me while we were driving. Went into the ER in Steamboat Springs to get a scan and see how big it was. I have had the surgical removal twice before and passed several on my own. Scan comes back at 8mm and itís blocking my ureter. Thank goodness they had a urologist that didnít want me to miss my elk hunt. They did the surgery on Sunday morning and we were back on the road that afternoon. Having to hunt the mountains with a stent in place was terrible but not as bad as missing the trip. Like others said, hot water helps. Push lots of fluid and get checked if it gets too bad.
speck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 07:23 PM   #29
deerwatcher51
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Richland Springs & Washington on the Brazos

I have had them before, they are no fun. I hope you get better soon.
deerwatcher51 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 07:50 PM   #30
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

https://youtu.be/7C75vsuwnUs
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 08:04 PM   #31
Mbbriggs05
Eight Point

I’ll put it you like this. I packed Toradol and flowmax in my pack for my elk hunt in Sept.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:10 PM   #32
Mertzon Man
Pope & Young

I’ve past 10 or so over the years, have a pain prescription on hand and drink lots of water till it passes. Worst pain I’ve ever experienced!
Mertzon Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #33
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

7mm stone passed naturally it broke into 3 pieces one was like a grain of salt and one was a little bigger but this was the biggest of all. Hurt like a mofo to passÖ
Attached Images

STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 08:28 PM   #34
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
10 days ago we were headed to Utah for an elk hunt. Kidney stone pain hit me while we were driving. Went into the ER in Steamboat Springs to get a scan and see how big it was. I have had the surgical removal twice before and passed several on my own. Scan comes back at 8mm and itís blocking my ureter. Thank goodness they had a urologist that didnít want me to miss my elk hunt. They did the surgery on Sunday morning and we were back on the road that afternoon. Having to hunt the mountains with a stent in place was terrible but not as bad as missing the trip. Like others said, hot water helps. Push lots of fluid and get checked if it gets too bad.

No way?!! You went hunting with a stent??

I donít know how long those things are but, Iím certain that when I had mine, I could feel it poking my lungs! The only position that was comfortable was ďramrod straightĒ! Anything else, bending, twisting, he**, even sitting was very uncomfortable.
Old 10-11-2021, 08:43 PM   #35
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
No way?!! You went hunting with a stent??

I donít know how long those things are but, Iím certain that when I had mine, I could feel it poking my lungs! The only position that was comfortable was ďramrod straightĒ! Anything else, bending, twisting, he**, even sitting was very uncomfortable.
It was the hunt of a lifetime for me so I just had to deal with it. Killed a huge bull. Will always have that story to tell. Pulled the stent out on our way home in the first hot shower I could find. Feels like 12 inches of barbed wire coming out😳
Old 10-11-2021, 08:54 PM   #36
txpitdog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Fairfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildMatt84 View Post
I canít imagine having 2 at once

I didnít have them at the same time, but they hurt just the same. One was 9 and the other 11

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
txpitdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 08:56 PM   #37
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

I’d rather have Covid every day for the rest of the year instead of one kidney stone.
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-11-2021, 11:41 PM   #38
JANKEII
Four Point

Hunt In: Gatesville

My dad has them all the time. His Dr said one of the culprits to making them is drinking tea.
JANKEII is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 07:09 AM   #39
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Lmaoed
Old 10-12-2021, 08:07 AM   #40
scotth89
Ten Point

Hunt In: Splendora, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Iíd rather have Covid every day for the rest of the year instead of one kidney stone.

I agree with this. I had covid about a month ago. 3 days after I tested positive I was in the ER with my first stones. Took 4 days to pass them (2). Not one symptom of covid while my body was trying to deal with the stones. Iíll take covid every day as well.
scotth89 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 08:23 AM   #41
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I've also had two, about 7 years apart. The first took 14 days to pass. The second, they went in and got it at day 5. Worst pain I've ever felt. Second worst pain was the stent he left in the ureter between the kidney and bladder after pulling the second one out...with the ability to pull it out myself after a week. I'll leave that to your imaginations.

No frickin' fun...

Wish you all the best, Wildmatt...
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 08:57 AM   #42
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by speck1 View Post
It was the hunt of a lifetime for me so I just had to deal with it. Killed a huge bull. Will always have that story to tell. Pulled the stent out on our way home in the first hot shower I could find. Feels like 12 inches of barbed wire coming out😳
You sir win the tough guy award!!! Funny story when I had mine back in the early 90s. That floss string they leave hanging out.....well the doctor or one of his assistants didnt leave enough slack in it if you will when they taped it to my abdomen. About five in the morning I woke up to a pain l hadnt felt before. That floss was trying to cut my member in half length wise! I said a few choice words and ripped that tape off for instant relief!
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 09:04 AM   #43
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBV77 View Post
Iíd rather have Covid every day for the rest of the year instead of one kidney stone.
When I had mine it was way too large to pass so I had to have the lithotripsy(sp). My procedure was scheduled for 1 week later because they only had one machine in the entire Dallas area. During that week I had another attacked and they admitted me to have a stent put in. My nurse during that ordeal told me she had 3 kids and had 2 kidney stones. She told me the kidney stone pain was worse than birthing babies. So I guess men do have an idea of how much childbirth hurts.
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 09:06 AM   #44
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

doesn't a lithotripsy (shock wave breakdown of kidney stones) do some damage to surrounding organs as well? I would think there would be some risks there.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 09:08 AM   #45
dgilbert
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coke Co

Had them for 30 years and still have some but I've only been hospitalized 1 time. I'm knocking on wood .
dgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #46
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Thank god for flowmax and uloric , my 30+ years of working in the sun either on a boat or ranch those stones were a huge problem
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 09:58 AM   #47
speck1
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
doesn't a lithotripsy (shock wave breakdown of kidney stones) do some damage to surrounding organs as well? I would think there would be some risks there.
Lithotripsy doesnít always work. Some stones wonít break up. This guy in Steamboat was awesome. He used a laser first and then shockwave. Yes you will pee blood for 4-5 days after. He said after the laser he used 30k shockwaves to pulverize it. Had lithotripsy in SA twice and it failed both times. I may go back to Steamboat Springs next time😁. The entire staff were elk hunters. Still canít believe the guy came in on a Sunday morning just so I could make the hunt.
Dr. Clay Pendleton is the man!
Old 10-12-2021, 10:02 AM   #48
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
I donít know, but I do know I threw up every time I had to take a leak after Iíve had a lithotripsy
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-12-2021, 11:54 AM   #49
MBV77
Ten Point

Hunt In: Clay County

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtp View Post
When I had mine it was way too large to pass so I had to have the lithotripsy(sp). My procedure was scheduled for 1 week later because they only had one machine in the entire Dallas area. During that week I had another attacked and they admitted me to have a stent put in. My nurse during that ordeal told me she had 3 kids and had 2 kidney stones. She told me the kidney stone pain was worse than birthing babies. So I guess men do have an idea of how much childbirth hurts.
I had the same procedure and a stent put in. ****** all over the toilet for a week.
MBV77 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top