Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 05-26-2021, 04:57 PM   #1
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list
Default Colorado Elk Archery

BOOM! I'm in! Who else!? I know of one other TBHer that's in and he's an elk killer!

This will be my first rodeo and I'm jacked up about it! Already knocked out my first weighted backpack stairmaster climb after a work out. I'm nowhere near in elk shape, but I will be come September!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Mr. Public is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 10:36 PM   #2
Planopurist
Four Point

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Planopurist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-26-2021, 10:40 PM   #3
MadHatter
Pope & Young

Bunch of us
Multiple threads going atm.
Archery & 2nd rifle, can't wait.
MadHatter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-27-2021, 02:22 PM   #4
jnd1959
Ten Point

Just bought another point this year. Going to Wyoming, Arizona and Montana so Co will wait until next year. Good luck!
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-30-2021, 12:07 PM   #5
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Congrats fellas. I have no clue where to begin. My thoughts are everywhere about it. Ultra light gear, packs, necessities, camping equipment, calls, fitness etc. I've been on a stair stepper everyday with a weighted pack 25/35lbs and it's been an eye opener!

Old 05-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #6
Tomkat70
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason ,Brady,Menard

Congratulations!!!!!
Tomkat70 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2021, 10:41 PM   #7
Trumpkin
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sore Finger!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBludau View Post
Congrats fellas. I have no clue where to begin. My thoughts are everywhere about it. Ultra light gear, packs, necessities, camping equipment, calls, fitness etc. I've been on a stair stepper everyday with a weighted pack 25/35lbs and it's been an eye opener!

Wait till you step it up to 50
Trumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-02-2021, 07:02 AM   #8
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpkin View Post
Wait till you step it up to 50
50 And a 25lb weighted vest! I'm all about it!

Old 06-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #9
wytex
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wyoming , Texas, Colorado, Nebraska

Better work those hip flexors and abductors and adductors. Blowdown will tax them way more than that stair stepper.

Good luck !
wytex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-14-2021, 11:38 AM   #10
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytex View Post
Better work those hip flexors and abductors and adductors. Blowdown will tax them way more than that stair stepper.

Good luck !

Great advice, I did not even think of that. Thanks! Anything in particular you do to train for that?
Old 06-14-2021, 05:58 PM   #11
wytex
Ten Point

I did a ton of low cable work for both back in my heavy lifting days. Side leg raises, Cossack squats , wide leg squats, step overs etc.
Stepping up and over logs with branches is not just a straight forward step, you'll be sweeping your leg over not always up in front and over.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:59 PM   #12
wytex
Ten Point

I did a ton of low cable work for both back in my heavy lifting days. Side leg raises, Cossack squats , wide leg squats, step overs etc.
Stepping up and over logs with branches is not just a straight forward step, you'll be sweeping your leg over not always up in front and over.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #13
TOTW
Spike

Wishing you the best of luck!!
TOTW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 12:33 AM   #14
deerslayer94
Ten Point

Hunt In: madison,grimes,montgomery

I just moved here in January and ill be out there for 8 days in september! Be cool if I ran into some fellow TBHers
deerslayer94 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-18-2021, 12:11 PM   #15
F1addict
Six Point

Hunt In: Hays Co

Already making plans for next September (2022). Will be my first Elk hunt.

Following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
F1addict is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-20-2021, 03:16 PM   #16
Burner
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: East Texas

Make sure you invest in some good boots. A bad pair of boots will quickly end an awesome hunt, hike, etc. Schnee's and Kenetrek come highly recommended. They're expensive but well worth the money.
Burner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #17
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:

Good luck with the training, and then with the elk hunt.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 10:06 PM   #18
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Thanks for all encouragement and advice. I am slowly gathering items and steadily training, starting to see some improvements in cardio.

I can keep this thread well alive if there's enough interest. I feel confident in all draw hunts in Texas but my first time to hunt elk, and first time ever setting foot in Colorado besides the airport....well that's a whole other world of woodsman/sportsman/hunt skill for me to adapt, obtain and hopefully achieve.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:08 PM   #19
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1addict View Post
Already making plans for next September (2022). Will be my first Elk hunt.

Following.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Very cool! I just applied and could not believe I got a tag along with my cousin on my card and a solid hunting buddy and his FIL, all in the same unit. Its time to cram!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:09 PM   #20
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOTW View Post
Wishing you the best of luck!!
Thanks man! I LIKE LUCK!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:12 PM   #21
warrenm0624
Four Point

Hunt In: Campbellton

You’ll probably kill one on your first trip. Killers kill.
warrenm0624 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-24-2021, 02:03 PM   #22
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenm0624 View Post
You’ll probably kill one on your first trip. Killers kill.
Ha! I sure would like that!

Although, I do feel very novice and bit lost at the moment. Perhaps, once I get there, I'll have a better sense of things and (hopefully) be able to go full blitz and commit to making it happen.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:29 PM   #23
ABWGTX
Four Point

My neighbor got an Colorado Elk his first trip 7 years ago. Year two scored a bear. Beginners luck. Nada since but he is hooked.
ABWGTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-02-2021, 09:47 PM   #24
Johnwayn34
Six Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

I lived up there for 3 years and was use to the altitude after the first year. Work out got ready. It never helps. Make sure to take a whole bunch of water and oxygen.
Johnwayn34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #25
jnd1959
Ten Point

In addition to the stair stepper, I've always trained by hiking uneven ground with weight. By uneven, I mean rocky, rooty and hilly. This builds your core up. You will spend more energy balancing than you will walking. I've climbed, hiked and hunted in western and southwester Co. Mostly in the Weminuche.

It takes me about 3 or 4 days anymore to acclimate. Last time I climbed a 14er was a 20 mile in and out. I took diamox with me to hasten the acclimation. Altitude sickness isn't a function of shape or health level. It is your bodies ability to process oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. Many people in good shape suffer the effects. Some in not so good shape don't seem to be affected at all. But being in shape can help overcome the effects.

Hunt high, sleep low.

PM me the unit if you want and I will see if I know anything about it.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:26 PM   #26
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwayn34 View Post
I lived up there for 3 years and was use to the altitude after the first year. Work out got ready. It never helps. Make sure to take a whole bunch of water and oxygen.
I anticipate struggling with the altitude, probably nothing I can do for that. I am just focused on getting cardio and strength training. Still need to put together some time of water filtration and pump system together. Flatlander on youtube has a pretty cool set up that I may try to rig up.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:30 PM   #27
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post
In addition to the stair stepper, I've always trained by hiking uneven ground with weight. By uneven, I mean rocky, rooty and hilly. This builds your core up. You will spend more energy balancing than you will walking. I've climbed, hiked and hunted in western and southwester Co. Mostly in the Weminuche.

It takes me about 3 or 4 days anymore to acclimate. Last time I climbed a 14er was a 20 mile in and out. I took diamox with me to hasten the acclimation. Altitude sickness isn't a function of shape or health level. It is your bodies ability to process oxygen and expel carbon dioxide. Many people in good shape suffer the effects. Some in not so good shape don't seem to be affected at all. But being in shape can help overcome the effects.

Hunt high, sleep low.

PM me the unit if you want and I will see if I know anything about it.
Thanks for that intel. I have never heard of diamox and will look into it.

As of now, a friend that is hunting the same unit got us hooked up with "primitive" cabins in the middle of the unit. Bunks, electric, an out house but no running water. I'm assuming that'll be a base for the first few nights until I get the ball rolling.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:33 PM   #28
Mr. Public
Ten Point

IF anyone has any back country gear for sale, let me know. I am not opposed to buying used gear, I prefer to buy gear from other hunters instead of big box stores or online sometimes. Helps others out, learn from their experience and make my own judgement on it and figure out what I dislike and prefer before buying new lifetime gear.

Currently looking for back country frame packs, sleep systems, water systems etc. Following Flatlanders channel on youtube has been very educational and informative.
Old 07-06-2021, 10:52 PM   #29
Eat’em Up
Spike

Climbing is definitely tough but the biggest surprise for me was descending. If you haven’t been doing squats ahead of time your knees will kill you going down. I just do air squats and haven’t had a problem since my first year.
Eat’em Up is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-07-2021, 01:51 AM   #30
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat’em Up View Post
Climbing is definitely tough but the biggest surprise for me was descending. If you haven’t been doing squats ahead of time your knees will kill you going down. I just do air squats and haven’t had a problem since my first year.
That's something I've heard of just recently. I think I'm going to get an old regular tire to weight down with weights, rop and and a Fall harness, start walking backwards pulling As an imitation to something of that nature.

Good point, and thanks for sharing.

Old 07-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #31
Mbbriggs05
Eight Point

Hunt In: Orange, Newton, Sabine, CO

We have a 3 man group headed to CO on Sept 5th for a 7 day hunt. Should be interesting as it will be the first time for all of us. Good Luck
Mbbriggs05 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-14-2021, 03:58 PM   #32
Arrowslinger1
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rotan tx, Coleman ok

Warm Fuzzys just got me excited thinking about this year! Good luck to you and everyone else going after them this year!
Arrowslinger1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-15-2021, 11:45 AM   #33
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
We have a 3 man group headed to CO on Sept 5th for a 7 day hunt. Should be interesting as it will be the first time for all of us. Good Luck
Congrats! I will be up there those dates as well. Best of luck to your group! Post some pics!

Old 07-17-2021, 05:24 PM   #34
Lamar_TTU12
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: Texas

Did first OTC Colorado Archery hunt last year had a blast. Going back this year same area. Going Sept 10-18 this year. If you got any questions ask away.
Lamar_TTU12 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-27-2021, 03:50 PM   #35
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

You can do all the squats and heavy weight packs you want but if you're not mentally strong that wont matter for sh#t. Learn to go outside of our comfort zone. We did our first Colorado OTC archery hunt last year and logged over 50 miles hiking up and down mountains.

Spend the money on a quality pack, you will not regret it. And pack light, some guys packed 80 pounds of BS they didnt need and were gassed half way in. Get gear that is able to dump heat but also keep you warm, remember youre working out most of the day but temps can drop fast.

Last edited by piercebronkite; 07-27-2021 at 03:53 PM.
piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #36
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercebronkite View Post
You can do all the squats and heavy weight packs you want but if you're not mentally strong that wont matter for sh#t. Learn to go outside of our comfort zone. We did our first Colorado OTC archery hunt last year and logged over 50 miles hiking up and down mountains.

Spend the money on a quality pack, you will not regret it. And pack light, some guys packed 80 pounds of BS they didnt need and were gassed half way in. Get gear that is able to dump heat but also keep you warm, remember youre working out most of the day but temps can drop fast.
Mentally Strong: Yup!
Still have to be physically capable to push to that point.

What came of those 50 miles?

I got some quality gear. Picked up a Badlands Vario Pack 5500 that I am pleased with thus far. Progressively training with it on daily, has held 70lbs on incline threadmill and stair master. Have made alot of progress since drawing the tag.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:39 PM   #37
jnd1959
Ten Point

Good luck and keep at it. I'm getting in shape for a less taxing hunt as well. Keep posting updates. It provides motivation.
Old 08-02-2021, 04:58 PM   #38
piercebronkite
Four Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado

Quote:
Mentally Strong: Yup!
Still have to be physically capable to push to that point.

What came of those 50 miles?

I got some quality gear. Picked up a Badlands Vario Pack 5500 that I am pleased with thus far. Progressively training with it on daily, has held 70lbs on incline threadmill and stair master. Have made alot of progress since drawing the tag.

One guy in our group shot a cow elk. I did not draw back on anything other than shooting grouse which was a ton of fun and cooking over a fire at 10,000 feet was a very enjoyable meal. I would bring some small game tips and extra arrows for grouse, they are fun to hunt.

What came out of those miles was an unbelievable experience, way too many to share on here even if I didn't come home with an elk. One of my favorite hunts so far.

Lastly, a guy in our group stumbled upon this elk that was shot a week before by a stranger he never met. The story goes that the guy shot it and couldn't ever find it. Oddly enough my buddy ran in to this guy on the mountain heard about this bull and hours later found it. He tried to back track on the mountain and let him him know but couldnt locate him, he did inform Colorado Fish and Game. Beautiful bull too.
Attached Images

piercebronkite is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 04:49 PM   #39
GoBears870
Four Point

Hunt In: Anywhere free

I'm sitting out this year due to work constraints, but I went on my first elk hunt (CO 1st rifle) last year. You've received good advice on this thread but I wanted to throw in my $0.02 on things you don't hear a lot of folks say.

-It helps to sleep one or two nights at higher altitude on your way to the trailhead. Break up your drive so you stay overnight somewhere in northern NM or southern CO. Or drive nonstop and sleep at the trailhead before setting out the next morning. The extra passive hours in the thinner air will help your body adapt better than jumping into the deep end.

-You're pretty deep into training at this point, but make sure you focus your conditioning on your hunt style. I think a lot of training plans out there are geared toward backpack hunters. I don't know if that's how you're hunting, but if you're day hunting, it's better in my opinion to focus on your cardio endurance, core/leg/trunk strength, and joint resilience. Throwing on 50lbs several times a week in your training is going to do more harm than good. Again, just my opinion, and everyone's different.

-Quality base layers are the most cost-effective clothing items out there. By that I mean they will do more to keep you warm, dry, cool, and comfortable than anything else. And a good piece will last multiple uses without stinking up [that] much. Good rain gear is a great thing to have, but I wouldn't suggest throwing $500 at a set unless you just want to.

-Reach out to the state wildlife biologist for your hunt unit. Most are happy to talk shop and give you pointers.

-Buy an OTC bear tag if it's offered in your GMU.

-Get your head right for the possibility you won't see anything your first day. Or the second. Or the last. Elk hunting is T-O-U-G-H. It's not like what you see on YouTube or Outdoor Channel. It is an absolute grind. Just live in the moment and realize what a special place you're in. If you're feel like you're hitting a wall, take a break. Bring a rod and go catch a trout. Sleep in one morning. Go into town for a burger, beer, and maybe even a shower. Those few hours of recharge will go a very long way and allow you to hunt harder the rest of the time.
GoBears870 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 05:00 PM   #40
Ætheling
Pope & Young

Quote:

Wait till the oxygen is gone.
Ætheling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 05:33 PM   #41
Leef
Eight Point

I will be there Sept 7-13 as well. Have an outfitter taking us into a drop camp. That way my day pack will only be 35 lbs…Ha. Have spent many a day with 68-73 lbs on my back up there and it’s interesting. What you have to remember at altitude is “slow and steady” wins the race. Recovering your O2 is much more difficult so you don’t want to be running sprints up there or trying to sustain max effort for very long. Best of luck to everyone! I will be in units 24&25. Where is everyone else going to be?
Leef is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 06:46 PM   #42
IkemanTX
Ten Point

I’m headed back from a 5-day backpacking trip with the family right now. My pack ended up at 51lbs including 3 liters of water, my wife’s ended up at about 40lbs, and my 13 year old’s ended up at 29lbs. We topped out at 12,200 feet, with little to no training in advance. Keeping the pack weights low, and running a moderate but consistent pace is the ticket.

Usually I run my pace way too high, but hiking with them forced me to run a lot slower than normal… and we made just as good of time as when I hike hard and need more frequent breaks. I highly suggest pacing slightly slower than you think you can handle.

Also, I didn’t read all the way through, but if you are hitting high altitude acclimating is an ABSOLUTE must!

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #43
IkemanTX
Ten Point

Oh, I forgot a few gear pointers…

1) Zero cotton clothing.. it is hydrophilic and will make you miserable if it ever gets wet.

2) double socks… good wool hiking socks with a silk or synthetic liner underneath. Both fabrics wick water away from your foot well, the wool is still insulating when wet, and the liner under the main sock will almost guarantee no blisters (assuming your boots fit and are broken in)

3) If filtering water in the field, I highly recommend the platypus gravity-works water filter. We used the 4 liter system, and probably ran 40-50 liters through the system between drinking, cooking, and washing up water.

4) pack light.

IkemanTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top