Women's concealed carry holster?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women's concealed carry holster?

I bought my daughter a concealed carry pistol finally. She is moving out of sate for a job, two week ago, she came home and said she wanted a gun before she moved. So I got her a gun and working on the ammo. But then got to thinking she might want or use a concealed carry holster at times. I know often she does not carry her purse or hand bag. And I know that guns are not something she has spent any time reading up on or learning about, what is available.

I got her a Walter PK380, like I got for her mother. Since I am not petite by any means and not female, I have no idea, what she or other females might actually use to carry a small pistol. Yea, I have found adds, but those are adds created by companies wanting to sell holsters. But really, what would a young 20s petite female really use to carry a pistol concealed? I saw multiple adds for concealed carry holsters, but all of them, look like she would find them uncomfortable, or bulky. I know if she does not like the holster for any reason, she won't use it and won't carry the gun, unless she has her purse. Which, I may have to work on getting her to do at all times. But I know telling her to carry a purse at all times, will probably be a waist of time.

I don't want her going 1000 miles away, having a gun and plenty of ammo, then it stays hidden away in a closet or somewhere else, while she is going to where ever she goes throughout her days. She will be working at a hospital and most likely working at night, at least for a while.

She is supposed to be home, later this month, I want to have the gun, ammo, and holster or anything else ready when she comes home. Then work on teaching her to use it. Walter makes a 22, that looks virtually identical to the PK380, I am likely going to buy two of those. One for my wife and one for our daughter. So they can both practice a lot more, without having trouble coming up with 380 ammo.

Teaching her to use the pistol, I don't think will be that difficult, she has shot guns in the past and did very well. At least with rifles and shotguns, I don't remember if she ever shooting any handguns. Teaching her how important it is to always have it where she can get it quickly, I think will be the harder part. So I really want suggestions from females or anyone who knows a female that actually carries a concealed pistol and what works for them.

I really wished I could have gotten the pistol sooner, but it took about a week and a half for it to show up. It got here the day after she left to go back to school and work. She has been working as a bar tender, while going to college, which I was not fond of at all. But I think that job and then working in hospitals, doing clinicals, she is going to be a nurse, has opened her eyes to the potential of dangerous situations. I heard her boss was not the nicest person, but after she went back to school and work, I heard a story about her boss. I am now pretty sure he has a drug habit, and sounds like he gets violent at times. Then other times, passes out in his car, in the parking lot, with the door open. I am wondering, if her boss, may be the reason, she wanted a gun so quickly. She kept asking when the gun was going to get here, while she was still here. I know something has happened, most likely related to work. But I know I can not tell her to quit her job, she will not listen to that idea at all.

If my wife, did not work for a bunch of liberals, and I could get her to carry her pistol all the time. That would make it much easier to get our daughter to carry her gun all the time. My wife and daughter are the same height and very close to the same weight. So what would work for one, should work for the other. I have been working on getting my wife to change jobs, so I can get her to carry her pistol. Had I gotten this accomplished years ago, we could have already found something that works for her and then it would be easy to get our daughter to use the same holster. But that's not how things have been. I am hoping my wife, will have a better job, working for some company that is not run by such extreme liberals, some time in the next couple of years. But, if I can find a holster for the daughter, that works well, and she uses it regularly. I can probably get my wife to carry her gun, when not at work, which would be a start.

Thanks for any info.

I'm an instructor and this is always a big topic for women. It can be difficult to find a holster to fit a woman depending on their body type. I have worked with some women that wear inside the waste band holsters or belt holsters fine but they aren't concerned with wearing the latest fashions. Fashionable clothing for women is often more form fitting than men's clothing so it can make it quite difficult to hide a firearm.

Most women I work with tend to carry in their purse. They either use a pocket holster and insert the gun and holster in an inside pocket or they use an insert made for the purpose. Crossbreed holsters makes some handy inserts that can be used for purses or laptop bags or other bags.

A few have used concealed carry purses that have a special pocket accessible outside the purse but most women I have worked with prefer the purses they already have so the inserts or pocket holsters are more workable.

I have had a few use belly bands. Crossbreed and a few others make these. The main complaint I hear about these is they can be hot to wear all day but they do seem to conceal the gun very well.

Comment

I’m no help as to what she can or can’t carry, but I’ve got an unused box of 380 she’s more than welcome to. I’m not sure on shipping, so an express might be needed.

Comment

So what would work for one, should work for the other.
        When it comes to conceal carry methods, what is comfortable and practical varies wildly among women.
        We all have personal preferences when it comes to the type of undergarments and clothing we wear, body shapes, etc. What works for one may not work for another. My main complaint with practically every women specific concealed carry product (tank tops, leggings and bras with holsters sewn in or clips that attach to your bra) is that they do not conceal well, as mentioned above. With jeans or leggings I prefer an iwb holster or a sticky holster. The sticky holster can sometimes move around - just depends what I'm wearing. I like purse carry in a crossbody style purse. There are lots of designers creating bags specifically for concealed carry with extra pockets sewn on the outside of the purse. I actually have a fossil hobo crossbody bag that has a zippered pocket on the side.

Comment

Lefty92, Sika, y'all basically said what I have been thinking and why I did not just go buy her something. Some of the clothes she wears, I think would be impossible to hide a gun, but then when she is wearing scrubs, those would be plenty baggy, and it would be possible to hide a gun, but I don't think a waist band holster would work with the pants they were.

I guess, all I can do, is show her web sites and tell her to pick something out, if she sees something that looks like, one of them might work for her. I looked a many different style holsters and kept thinking, well that one might work when she is wearing this style clothes or that one might work when she is wearing a different style clothing. I did not see anything that looked like something she could wear, with multiple of the different style clothes that she wears in a weeks time.

I guess all I can do, is just inform her of what is out there and let her decided if she likes any of them.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
            I’m no help as to what she can or can’t carry, but I’ve got an unused box of 380 she’s more than welcome to. I’m not sure on shipping, so an express might be needed.
            What do you want for them? You can either ship them and I can pay for the ammo and shipping, or we might stop by and pick them up, when we are up there, next month. She is graduating from Tech next month.

Comment

As a female, I have found it difficult to find a single holster that works for every situation. Even jeans all fit differently. I have a small bag that holds many holsters, most of which I don't use anymore, which is what you are trying to avoid.
              Sika is right, it comes down to personal preference and what is comfortable for her to use. I now know I really don't like IWB, so I carry on my belt OWB or use a pocket holster. Being in my 50s, I am less concerned with fashion and snug fitting clothing.

Ironically, I carried a Walther 380 for many years, IWB and OWB. If you like, PM you address to me and I can ship those holsters to you and she can try them. Return whatever she doesn't like, even if it's all of them. I sold the gun years ago and I know I have at least 2 up to 4 different holsters for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                What do you want for them? You can either ship them and I can pay for the ammo and shipping, or we might stop by and pick them up, when we are up there, next month. She is graduating from Tech next month.
                Not a penny. If you can tell me how to go about shipping them I’ll do just that. I was under the impression shipping ORMD was no longer an option.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                  Not a penny. If you can tell me how to go about shipping them I’ll do just that. I was under the impression shipping ORMD was no longer an option.
                  You can ship ORMD, but the label has changed. You cannot ship via USPS - only ground UPS or ground FedEx. The new label is a diamond with a black bar top and bottom.
                  UPS instructions: https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-cente...mmunition.page

Comment

Perfect. Thank you. PM an address and I’ll try to get them out tomorrow.

Comment

My wife carries this. She sometimes carries on her person or the same holster in her purse.

Comment

My wife carries in a purse made for concealed carry and loves it. I'll try to get more info bit it came from academy I think and not expensive at all

Comment

Working...
                        X