Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 09-05-2021, 10:22 PM   #1
gatt40
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Patricio, Mountain Home & wherever
Default Total Knee Replacement

Havenít been on forum disincentive Monday evening due to right knee replacement Wednesday. Guess all went well because I woke up in recovery not feeling much of any. Stayed overnight and home Thursday. It really has been kinda rough. Pain off & on unless I take meds. Using a walker to get around. As soon as the block wore off I started doing some of the exercises. Having a difficult time bending or lifting my leg. Very stiff & sore. Physical therapy starts at home tomorrow. Need a few prayers if you donít mind. Thanks
gatt40 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 10:28 PM   #2
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

You got this Mike. It is going to hurt, but like everyone has said, do the therapy and give yourself a chance to heal.

You are in our prayers though amigo!
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 10:57 PM   #3
caughtandhobble
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Ice is your friend... Just keep using your knee and work through the pain.
caughtandhobble is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 11:00 PM   #4
JerryC
Ten Point

Hunt In: Ft Bend County

Yes do your physical therapy. You need to regain flexibility. It gets better in a few weeks. I’ve had three replacements.
JerryC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 11:03 PM   #5
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Praying, Lord please heal up this knee completely, and provide relief from the pain. My BIL and a good friend at church both went through this, and they both said that working on the physical therapy was not easy but it really helped. Good luck.
3ChordTruth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #6
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

If your doc didn't give you a cryo-cuff for your knee, ask for one!! It's a life-saver! My wife was 3 weeks post-op for her total knee... No overnight in the hospital... Home same day. Ditched the walker and cane only since last Thursday... Therapy is the key!!

Lord we ask You to comfort our friend as he recovers from his surgery. Give him strength to endure the pain of recovery, but help him Lord to recover fully and hold his pain down Lord, Build his strength and keep his spirit high and attitude of recovery strong Lord, in Jesus name, Amen!
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 11:32 PM   #7
Rustled Again
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hext

They make an ice bath pump that wraps around the knee. Really helped me get through the initial pain.
Rustled Again is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-05-2021, 11:35 PM   #8
StanS806
Four Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

I had mine done 4 months ago. Just stay with your PT and you'll be fine
StanS806 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 01:14 AM   #9
mossman500
Ten Point

Hunt In: Montgomery co

I get my right knee done next Monday….reading this helps!
mossman500 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 06:16 AM   #10
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by caughtandhobble View Post
Ice is your friend... Just keep using your knee and work through the pain.
Thats so true..and elevate...Therapy will help lots...and do your home exercises..Myself my stationary bike helped lots too..I
Had both replaced in 18.....10 weeks apart..Best thing I ever did...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 07:28 AM   #11
coker737
Ten Point

Hunt In: My KB Ranch. Rocksprings, TX

Knee Replacement = Amazon Prime

Oh Boy.....On a Serious Note....PT is Your Friend. Hurts like heck but will pay off is you do it. Trust This.
coker737 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 09:00 AM   #12
Yelladog
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustled Again View Post
They make an ice bath pump that wraps around the knee. Really helped me get through the initial pain.

This machine really helps. Also Amazon sells ice pads that are big and cover a good bit. My wife had partial replacement in June and is having the other knee done next week. We have 2 of the ice pads we rotate out so 1 is always in the freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 09:43 AM   #13
coker737
Ten Point

Quote:
If it's the one like an Igloo Cooler Pump.....It will hold 4 beers.....Heard from a Friend.....
Old 09-06-2021, 09:45 AM   #14
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

2 yrs out on my replacements. My advice, Stay off the opioids as much as possible. They hinder healing! All the above + Keep up with the exercises even after PT. You will see a difference later on.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 10:03 AM   #15
Buzzsaw
Eight Point

Hunt In: Frio County

I'm scheduled Sept. 20 for my left knee, hunt in December, right knee replaced in January

God bless you Gatt40 !!
Buzzsaw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #16
coker737
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo View Post
2 yrs out on my replacements. My advice, Stay off the opioids as much as possible. They hinder healing! All the above + Keep up with the exercises even after PT. You will see a difference later on.
Good Advice. Doctors are all about Pain Management. Pain meds mess with my Gut if ya know what I mean. Not a problem if ya like countering with high doses of Laxatives but not me.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #17
friscopaint
Ten Point

Definitely not looking forward to this......in my future
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2021, 04:44 PM   #18
gatt40
Pope & Young

Ok physical therapist just left. She tried to make a pretzel out of me. I did say a few words & she said let it out if needed. She got me to 60 degrees, but I saw stars & stripes. I will do this every 2 hrs while awake. I do have the ice pump thing. Thanks
Old 09-06-2021, 05:40 PM   #19
locolobo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Somewhere in TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by coker737 View Post
Good Advice. Doctors are all about Pain Management. Pain meds mess with my Gut if ya know what I mean. Not a problem if ya like countering with high doses of Laxatives but not me.
My surgeon would not prescribe heavy duty opioids. Tylenol/codein was all he would prescribe. Said "you will thank me later". 2 days later I was walking with a cane. Went back to work in 6 weeks. Wanted to go back in 5 but our medical dept said wait.
locolobo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-22-2021, 10:00 PM   #20
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Had my right knee done yesterday. Nerve block on knee didn't work so some pretty intense pain after the spinal wore off until they gave me a shot of something. Came home today. I've had 6 scopes (3 on each knee) so I know the value of PT. I want to get past this one so I can get my left knee done before the end of the year.
Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2021, 12:29 AM   #21
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My wife is 9 weeks post op today therapist cut her loose last week. She’s MUCH better now than pre-op. Pretty much back to normal. Little swelling n soreness some evenings if she over does it during the day.
Good luck Ed‼️
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-23-2021, 08:53 AM   #22
gatt40
Pope & Young

Doing better. Knee is still swollen. Walking with a cane. My range of motion is near 120 degrees. Doctor wants 128 by next Friday. If I don’t get there is is talking about a forced manipulation while under anesthesia. Not wanting to go this route.
Old 10-23-2021, 09:01 AM   #23
91cavgt
Ten Point

There is a machine that they can strap your leg into that will straighten and bend your knee for you. BE VERY CAREFUL if you get put on one of these. Make sure you are wearing boxer briefs to keep your boys corralled, NOT boxers and NOT tighty whities. The pain of having one of your boys end up laying on the track for this machine for outweigh the pain from the surgery!!!
91cavgt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 10:54 AM   #24
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatt40 View Post
Doing better. Knee is still swollen. Walking with a cane. My range of motion is near 120 degrees. Doctor wants 128 by next Friday. If I donít get there is is talking about a forced manipulation while under anesthesia. Not wanting to go this route.

Howís that range of motion coming? PT forced mine around 3 degrees yesterday by pushing down on it but Iím not as far along in the process as you are.
Old 11-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #25
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

getting it to straighten out is actually pretty simple as soon as the incision heals up. fill the bath tub up with pretty hot water and soak it for a while. Put something under your heal not so tall it pushes you knee out of the water and slowly start to push down on the knee. this worked pretty well for me and it was much less painful than the foam block the therapist uses
dphillips62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 11:38 AM   #26
UncleBubba
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Dickens, Hunt, and Red River Co.

Glad all went well. Ice and PT, emphasis on PT! Prayers up for recovery brother.
UncleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #27
airehead
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coryell County

Do the PT it’s important
I have had both knees done!!!

Ron
airehead is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #28
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryC View Post
Yes do your physical therapy. You need to regain flexibility. It gets better in a few weeks. Iíve had three replacements.
Three ?
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 12:35 PM   #29
ThisLadyHunts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

Quote:
I used one of these pumps recovering from surgery for a torn meniscus. Youíre right, it was definitely a lifesaver. You fill an ice-chest-like hopper with ice and water and it lasts for 24 hours before the ice needs to be replaced. And when youíve had knee surgery, the last thing you want to have to do is get up and down every hour to replace your ice.

While Iíve never had a knee replaced, I hear the first six weeks afterward are h**l and that strict adherence to physical therapy is important. That said, every single person Iíve talked to whoís had a knee (or two) replaced has been glad theyíve done it. More often than not, many say they wished theyíd done it sooner.

Best of luck to you on your convalescence and recovery, sir.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 12:46 PM   #30
BULL21
Eight Point

Hunt In: Robert Lee

Quote:
Doing better. Knee is still swollen. Walking with a cane. My range of motion is near 120 degrees. Doctor wants 128 by next Friday. If I donít get there is is talking about a forced manipulation while under anesthesia. Not wanting to go this route.
I would definitely not do manipulation under anesthesia if you are at 120 degrees. Iíve never seen this happen unless a patient was severely limited with range of motion. 120 degrees is total sufficient to have a normal functional knee.
BULL21 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 02:18 PM   #31
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by dphillips62 View Post
getting it to straighten out is actually pretty simple as soon as the incision heals up. fill the bath tub up with pretty hot water and soak it for a while. Put something under your heal not so tall it pushes you knee out of the water and slowly start to push down on the knee. this worked pretty well for me and it was much less painful than the foam block the therapist uses

Yesterday my PT used the little foam block and the PTA to get around 3 degrees. PT canít weigh 110 pounds but her assistant was able to add quite a bit more pressure after the PT massaged my kneecap for a few minutes. Not fun. Iím less than 2 weeks in so still a lot of inflammation.
Old 11-02-2021, 03:56 PM   #32
Russ79
Ten Point

Hunt In: Nacogdoches county, San Augustine county, Beaufort county NC

Thursday week I go in for MAKOplasty robotic arm partial knee resurfacing. They go in and actually resurface the arthritic parts of my knee and put in implants. Leads to a quicker recovery and preserves healthy tissue and bone. Doesn't mean that complete knee replacement isn't in my future but my ortho doctor says I am good candidate for this. Start rehab the following Monday. Hoping this will get me back into a deer stand before season is over.
Russ79 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 09:48 PM   #33
TX_Kevin
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
I used one of these pumps recovering from surgery for a torn meniscus. Youíre right, it was definitely a lifesaver. You fill an ice-chest-like hopper with ice and water and it lasts for 24 hours before the ice needs to be replaced. And when youíve had knee surgery, the last thing you want to have to do is get up and down every hour to replace your ice.
Mike I have one of these in the attic somewhere if you need it. We can figure out how to get it there.
TX_Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-02-2021, 10:14 PM   #34
Lip
Ten Point

Glad to see the ice pump will run for 24 hours between replacing ice. I finally broke down and ordered one off of Amazon and it will be here tomorrow. Pain has been a challenge. I don't think the pain pills are doing that much so hoping to use more ice and only medication before PT with professionals. Wife is willing to get up every couple of hours but that doesn't make it easy for her and I really don't like waking her up any more than the dogs already do.
Old 11-03-2021, 08:16 AM   #35
gatt40
Pope & Young

Thanks Kevin but I bought one. Good news, reached 130 ROM without assistance. Doctors goal was 128. No forced manipulation in future. I have been working hard on my PT and it’s paying off. Doctor released me to get out of the house and back to driving. Headed to the ranch Friday. I can sit in blind just as good as at home. Swelling is still present but able to to walk around using a cane. I can put more weight on it this week and even walking short distances without cane. Wife is already on me about “ honey do’s, so I’m kinda of milking it. Thanks to all for prayers, advice and thoughts.
Old 11-05-2021, 12:00 PM   #36
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks Kevin but I bought one. Good news, reached 130 ROM without assistance. Doctors goal was 128. No forced manipulation in future. I have been working hard on my PT and itís paying off. Doctor released me to get out of the house and back to driving. Headed to the ranch Friday. I can sit in blind just as good as at home. Swelling is still present but able to to walk around using a cane. I can put more weight on it this week and even walking short distances without cane. Wife is already on me about ď honey doís, so Iím kinda of milking it. Thanks to all for prayers, advice and thoughts.

Awesome that you reached goal without any forced manipulation and can start doing things. ďForced manipulationĒ didnít sound like any fun.