Solar system???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Solar system???

Would like input form those that have installed a system. Looking for info on brands and types of batteries used. And any advice on what you would change.
    I’m building a cabin on my property and would like to be 100% off grid eventually. Will need to power a water well in addition to a 1200sqft cabin.
    Thanks
    Bert

In

Comment

In

Comment

In ;0

Comment

Look up Backwoods Solar or Wholesale Solar. They are very knowledgeable and can put you in the right direction. I’ve been very happy with the items I bought from both companies.

Comment

Just curious, are you thinking of doing heating with electric or are you considering having propane for that?? I was helping with small off grid telecom systems and a big thing is calculating how much power you plan on using.

Currently not working due to injury so I have a lot of time on my hands. Post or PM me any questions and I will try to answer.

Comment

Whatever you do, DO NOT put them on the roof. This cost me over 20k a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In, we are talking about the same.

I know your question was specifically about solar, butttt.

For reference:

The 1100 sq ft cabin we built, with A/C and at peak heat during February has never broke 1000 kWh in a month.

We set a propane tank (250 gallons) but have only used ~10% in the last year.

Electric fridge, electric heat, central A/C. Propane stove, and propane on demand hot water heater.
                Will be adding a propane freezer to the system and a wood stove for heat this winter.

We had no insulation under the floor last year, but are having the floor spray foamed in a few weeks. So we will see what kind of efficiency that brings this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post

For reference:

The 1100 sq ft cabin we built, with A/C and at peak heat during February has never broke 1000 kWh in a month.

Electric fridge, electric heat, central A/C. Propane stove, and propane on demand hot water heater.
                  Will be adding a propane freezer to the system and a wood stove for heat this winter.

We had no insulation under the floor last year, but are having the floor spray foamed in a few weeks. So we will see what kind of efficiency that brings this fall.

Curious, are you wanting to go solar and eliminate your connection to the power grid?? The reason I ask is due to the cost of solar versus being hooked up to the grid. If I had a place out in the sticks that was going to take $20 K to run grid power to than and only than would I go solar. personally, I am not sure that with current battery technology that straight solar is the way to go due to expense.

Given your example and calling it the average of 1000KW hours/month you would be looking at a daily average of approximately 33.3KW. Given that an 8 KW solar panel system would give you on "average" approximately 48 KW daily. There are maps available that show average solar hours of exposure for all the country which is where I get the 6 to multiply the 8 KW to arrive 48 KW per day...

Given the cost of the solar array, batteries and all of the equipment required to make it work you would be looking at a big price tag. Take my thoughts for what they are worth as I am no expert on solar systems. I just got some recent experience building off grid telecom systems.
                  Last edited by Pedernal; 09-28-2021, 04:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by savin yours View Post
                    Whatever you do, DO NOT put them on the roof. This cost me over 20k a few weeks ago.

I agree, sooner or later you will have problems with leaks with solar panels on the roof!

Comment

Running a/c off grid would be difficult because the amount of batteries you would need. The battery bank would need to be able to store 3 days worth of power in case of over cast days. Heating could be done by propane and/or wood stove.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        Just curious, are you thinking of doing heating with electric or are you considering having propane for that?? I was helping with small off grid telecom systems and a big thing is calculating how much power you plan on using.

Currently not working due to injury so I have a lot of time on my hands. Post or PM me any questions and I will try to answer.
                        I will have a 500 gal propane tank for heat to back up the wood stove, hot water and cooking. I was looking at small room ac units, to limit the size of ac needed, plus I make sense to only cool the room u in. The property is in the Hugo Oklahoma area, not sure what the sun factor is.
                        Thanks for your input

Comment

I have identified the electric pole number on the edge of the property, and waiting on an estimate. I need them to drop a pole about 80 yards away from the existing pole. I have no idea what it will cost to drop a pole in, so if it is within $3000 of solar, I would rather solar

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post

For reference:

Thanks, I didn’t think of propane appliances.

Comment

My place is 650sqft with 7.1kw solar array 20 (355 Watt Mission Panels) and 52kw battery bank (16 Rolls Surrette 550c) Outback Inverters VFX3648 (2) 3600 watts continuous, (2) Flexmax 80 MPPT charge controllers, FW-X240 transformer, MATE 3s. Walls are Roxul R19 insulation, ceiling is Roxul R25. It can maintain 76 degree indoor temps while running a 19 sqft. Fridge/Freezer and 5sqft chest freezer. Also have 1000 watt microwave coffee maker and full size washer/dryer. All heating appliances are propane. You would need double the array and battery bank for your place! I have about $25K in equipment not including my time for installation. Be prepared to spend $50+k
                              Last edited by LWolken; 09-29-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X