No announcement yet.

School me on diesel trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trucks, especially diesels, are sky high right now.

Comment

Traded my 2014 F350 in at 147k miles. Only issues were emissions system and DEF heater, right before I traded. Took 3 weeks for dealer to get problem solved on the last issues. Besides that it was a good truck.

Comment

If you buy, another expense CAN be diesel fuel additive to add cetane to the fuel to Hopefully keep your fuel pump from cratering.

I use Power Services Diesel Kleen or Hot Shot products, every tank.
        Mostly for a feel good measure, but also considered cheap insurance.

If your HPFP goes- you are in it for 8-12k for repairs depending on how you do it.

Comment

I'm in almost the very same situation as the OP...great timing and info on this thread guys, most appreciated.

Knowing the used market for these trucks is sky high right now, anyone have a way of knowing what the market was pre covid truck pandemic? I am close to a 2014 lariat 4x4 also but want to know what kind of spread I am looking at between used sale prices 6 months ago vs. now. Any ideas how to get this data would be most appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
            If you buy, another expense CAN be diesel fuel additive to add cetane to the fuel to Hopefully keep your fuel pump from cratering.

If your HPFP goes- you are in it for 8-12k for repairs depending on how you do it.
            I doubt we have a two week freeze again this year , but adding these will definitely keep you on the road when the weather is below 20* for a few days, we had lots of folks sitting in the driveway waiting for warmer weather because fuel gel

Comment

I owned a 2011, fully deleted and tuned with 35's and leveled. The 18 mpg he's claiming for a non-deleted truck seems pretty optimistic.

All info presented so far is spot on, i also experienced a small fitting from my turbo coolant line to start leaking and it was a pain to change but a cheap part. I bought mine with about 116k on the clock and immediately had to do shocks and wheel bearings and stearing stabilizer to tighten everything back up. Again pretty normal for heavy diesel trucks running bigger tires.

If youre not afraid to get dirty and bust some knuckles, these trucks are fun to own and serve their purpose.

I now own a 2012 Ram 2500 fully tuned and deleted to pull my 5th wheel. I do all my own maintenance and plan on this truck easily making it to 300k.

Comment

Originally posted by 68rustbucket View Post
                Traded my 2014 F350 in at 147k miles. Only issues were emissions system and DEF heater, right before I traded. Took 3 weeks for dealer to get problem solved on the last issues. Besides that it was a good truck.
                Mind if I ask how much they have you?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

That's a scary thought! Why is a fuel pump so expensive?

Comment

School me on diesel trucks

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                    That's a scary thought! Why is a fuel pump so expensive?

It’s not the pump so much, as the labor involved with pulling and flushing all equipment and lines to and from the tank including injectors.

Here's some fun reading-
                    Information relating to the TxLED program, approved alternative diesel fuel formulations, producer/importer registration forms, quarterly reporting forms, alternative emission reduction plan (AERP) forms, and regulatory guidance. The TxLED Program is implemented to reduce emissions of nitrogen oxides from diesel-powered motor vehicles and non-road equipment.

In a nutshell, the East side of our great state must have a 48 cetane rating or higher, the west side, not so much- Federal minim is 40. Cetane helps with combustion = better fuel mileage.

I went to the rabbit hole of fuel requirements and lubricity and had to back out.
                    Lets just say I'm still gonna be adding some slippery stuff each tank to try and keep a busted fuel pump at bay.

Here's more fun reading on this boogey man subject.
                    Last edited by DaveC; 07-30-2021, 11:07 AM.

Comment

That should be a good truck. I drive a 14 not deleted and get about 14 average or less when I tow my 5th wheel. My def heater did go out but I opted to fix it as it has never given me any trouble and is easy on def. They make a fuel bypass kit to prevent the fuel pump issues you hear about. I had it done to my truck as insurance.

What are they asking?

Comment

Originally posted by Nova View Post
                        That should be a good truck. I drive a 14 not deleted and get about 14 average or less when I tow my 5th wheel. My def heater did go out but I opted to fix it as it has never given me any trouble and is easy on def. They make a fuel bypass kit to prevent the fuel pump issues you hear about. I had it done to my truck as insurance.

What are they asking?
                        I hope to buy it around $26, 000, sound reasonable? He's owned it about 3 years and put around 20,000 miles on it.

Comment

I did a search on the high pressure fuel pump and it said they typically last about 100k miles. Is that right?? That is crazy to expect a $8,000 to $12,000 repair every 5 years!

Comment

I’ve been looking at these pretty hard the last month or so. The ones I have seen similar to that are 35-40. 26k sounds like a bargain.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith View Post
                              I did a search on the high pressure fuel pump and it said they typically last about 100k miles. Is that right?? That is crazy to expect a $8,000 to $12,000 repair every 5 years!

Sounds about right!
                              My f350 @101,000 “ out of warranty “ had a/c problem I about had a heart attack when they told me they needed to basically remove the cabin to fix the problem, and I should replace A-X
                              While the cabin was off , spent $397.78 to recharge it and drove it
                              To the dealership for a $24000 trade in , $9000 ac repair and death wobble will have me thinking twice about a Ford and a diesel again

Comment

I think it sounds like a good deal if the truck is solid. As I said above, the fuel pumps can be a problem but the 10k repair comes when your fuel pump trashes your fuel rails and injectors. They make a fuel rerouting kit that prevents that from happening and I think it is good insurance.

For that price i'll bet you could buy it and flip it.

Comment

Working...
                                X