Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > D-I-Y Projects

Old 06-11-2021, 03:41 PM   #51
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

The french door installation video is live!

Check it out here:
https://youtu.be/xblqA9iC5Ds

Thanks!
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 12:25 AM   #52
peterp63
Ten Point

Great work and write ups. Following here and subíd to your channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
peterp63 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-13-2021, 10:30 AM   #53
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterp63 View Post
Great work and write ups. Following here and subíd to your channel.
Thank you! Much appreciated!
Old 06-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #54
TxHamJello
Four Point

Hunt In: Cass and Gillespie Counties

It is really coming along great!
TxHamJello is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2021, 03:42 PM   #55
TOTW
Spike

Very nice job!
TOTW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #56
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I've been working on posting the links to the videos correctly. The thumbnails weren't showing up, so I'm reposting them here, in case the wonky YouTube links I used before made you nervous.

I'm not sure that's any better, but I will be posting these correctly in the future. Enjoy!
Old 06-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #57
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I'm a little late in updating. I've been working on the siding, and I'll admit - this is NOT my favorite part of the build. The panels are heavy, the dust when cutting sticks to everything, and installing by myself, I'm not able to get the accuracy I was hoping for. That said, it's coming along, and I just have the upper gable ends left to install before I start working on the soffits.

I ended up using boards stacked at the base to "hold" the panels in place while I attached them. I used window shims to level them, and deliberately left a gap between panels, which I'll seal with caulk, to replicate the expansion seams on our house that has actual stucco.

I've been using the Kreg Rip-Cut for long cuts for a while, and it does pretty good on these panels, especially with the Diablo Hardie blade I bought for my circular saw. Unfortunately, the plastic lock mechanism on the Rip-Cut came apart. Fortunately enough, it gave me an excuse to buy a new track saw!

Did I mention this stuff is dusty?! I was using a N95 face mask, but probably would have been safer with a respirator on.

At the end of it all, I'm pretty pleased with the results. It's not perfect, but I can hide imperfections with caulk, paint, and trim.

Next step is to finish out the upper gable ends, then get the materials to do the soffits. I'm looking forward to the exterior being sealed off. The next video will go live later today, and I will post that when it does!
Old 06-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #58
scott1022
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

Awesome stuff! I have the same desire to build my own workshop. I'll have to keep this thread, and your videos, close by for if I ever decide to do it. I'll definitely have to wait on the price of materials to go back down to reasonable prices.
scott1022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-23-2021, 01:11 PM   #59
goofiefoot
Ten Point

The Hardie siding episode is live. Watch how I work with these large, heavy panels, make some mistakes, yet keep the build moving:

Old 06-23-2021, 01:12 PM   #60
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott1022 View Post
Awesome stuff! I have the same desire to build my own workshop. I'll have to keep this thread, and your videos, close by for if I ever decide to do it. I'll definitely have to wait on the price of materials to go back down to reasonable prices.
I've learned a TON during this process. Feel free to reach out with any questions!
Old 07-05-2021, 03:44 PM   #61
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I haven't got a ton done on the tiny workshop lately. Between almost daily rain, and other house priorities, I have only been able to finish up the siding - which I'm certainly pleased about! I don't like working with the Hardie material, though I'm confident it will pay off in the long run.

I shored up the gable ends, which I was dreading, since I'd be working off the ground, and having to be precise with angle cuts. It ended up being a non-issue, and I was able to knock it out over 2 evenings after work.

I took my time with the measuring and marking out the cut lines

The panels require a 1/4 inch gap between the bottom and the flashing, so I used a couple of 6" drill bits to rest the panels on as I nailed them into place

As humid as it's been here in Rockport, any time I cut Hardie, I'm coated with a significant dusting that sticks to my sweat. It's pretty gross. The Diablo Hardie Blade has been a perfect investment for this project. It cuts through the siding like nothing!

I'm glad to have the siding done. Next step is to figure out the soffit. I've got the supplies, and just need to block out all the attachment points under the gable ends and along the sides.

I'll be posting the video soon. I appreciate all of you who are following along here, and subscribing to the YouTube channel!
Old 07-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #62
goofiefoot
Ten Point

The gable end siding video is live! It's a little shorter than typical, but gives a good overview on the process. Check it out:

Thanks for following along!
Old 07-07-2021, 11:30 PM   #63
Witchgrass
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bandera County

Following
Witchgrass is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 12:12 PM   #64
Ellen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County, Texas

Progress updates??
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-22-2021, 01:50 PM   #65
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
Progress updates??
We've had a TON of rain lately, and we've been out of town, so no updates yet. I have all the supplies to knock out the soffits, then I can focus on getting the electrical in. Stay tuned!
Old 07-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #66
TXHUNT3R
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hempstead & Timpson

Awesome build!!!! Looking great!
TXHUNT3R is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-10-2021, 02:31 PM   #67
goofiefoot
Ten Point

It's been a while but I'm still plugging away on the workshop. I finally have the soffits installed, and the shop is all closed up.

This part required a lot of extra framing and blocking to support the thin Hardie soffit material.

The worst part of the Hardie panels is cutting them. Even with a good quality Hardie blade, there is a lot of dust, which gets all over you when you're sweating the Texas heat and humidity.

The side perforated quarter inch soffit panels came in 12 foot lengths, and these were near impossible to handle by myself without breaking them, so I cut them down to 4-foot lengths to make the install go easier on me.

For the end gables, I ripped down quarter inch 4x8 Hardie sheets to size. My wife helped hold the panels on the front side, and I ended up building a jig to hold them on the back side (this worked much better).

I'm glad to have this part done, and the shop closed in. I still have some trim to install, and of course, I will be caulking and painting, but this gets me to a good point to start working on the inside. First thing - running electrical.

I'll post the video link below for the soffit install. Thanks to all of you for following along!
Old 08-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #68
goofiefoot
Ten Point

The soffit install video is live! This was a more process-heavy install than I was expecting, so the video is a bit longer than typical, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Enjoy!
Old 08-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #69
CharlieM
Spike

Cool!
CharlieM is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-29-2021, 07:19 PM   #70
viesun
Nubbin' Buck

It's very cool to follow how you fulfill your little dream. To build your own workshop is probably the dream of any man. However, not everyone can afford this. I am very glad that in the end everything turned out very cool for you. I hope that after you finish with your workshop, you will not stop producing videos! My friend is just like you a YouTuber. However, my friend has a slightly different type of channel, he is engaged in creating various props from movies and games. In the past, he was mainly engaged in marine engineering. But after many years of working in the army, he decided that it was time to do something else and now runs his own channel. In general, I hope everything will be as good for you as for my friend!
viesun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2021, 04:02 AM   #71
Alieser
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by viesun View Post
It's very cool to follow how you fulfill your little dream. To build your own workshop is probably the dream of any man. However, not everyone can afford this. I am very glad that in the end everything turned out very cool for you. I hope that after you finish with your workshop, you will not stop producing videos! My friend is just like you a YouTuber. However, my friend has a slightly different type of channel, he is engaged in creating various props from movies and games. In the past, he was mainly engaged in marine engineering. But after many years of working in the army, he decided that it was time to do something else and now runs his own channel. In general, I hope everything will be as good for you as for my friend!
In my opinion, you can't just take it and start uploading everything to YouTube. Being a YouTuber is much more difficult than it seems.
Alieser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-31-2021, 02:14 PM   #72
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by viesun View Post
Thank you! I'm certainly keeping up with the videos as I go. I'm currently working on the electrical, and that's going a little slower than I planned, but I will have the video posted not long after I finish that stage.

I've been in the YouTube game for a while now (my other channel, The Goode Life Outdoors, is actually pulling in a bit of income), and hope to continue to build this channel through building and setting up this workshop, then as I work on all the projects I have planned (and that are yet to come). I love doing things myself, so I have high hopes to grow this channel. I'll invite all of y'all to subscribe if this is something of interest - it would certainly help me out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alieser View Post

In my opinion, you can't just take it and start uploading everything to YouTube. Being a YouTuber is much more difficult than it seems.
Absolutely! I have been learning as I go, and it's a beast of a platform to get into and be successful. My outdoor channel took about a year to get any traction, and this one is a bit slower than I was expecting. I'm committed to improving and growing as much as I can. I'd love to make this a full-time gig, but I definitely a ways off on that.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:20 AM   #73
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I've not been idle in the pause in posting. Lately, I've been working on running the electrical in the shop. My dad is a licensed electrician, and as a kid, I often went with him on jobs to help run wire (mostly wriggling into tight spaces), so this kind of work is familiar - though I found I was a bit rusty. Case in point - I bought the wrong 12 gauge wire so I spent a good deal more time stripping out the stiffer ground-burial-rated stuff. Oh well, live and learn.

I installed an 8-breaker sub panel and will have 60 amp service from the house panel.

A neighbor lent me his Hole Hawg to get the outlet holes drilled. This thing is a beast, and a lot of fun to run. It certainly made quick work of the wall holes.

Running wires went quick, as it was what I was most experienced with. I really enjoyed this part.

Filling the sub panel completely made it a bit of a challenge to wire neatly, but I'm pleased with how it all turned out.

As it sits today, all the interior switches, plugs, lights, and the breaker box are wired up and ready for power.

My house panel is an older style CH panel, and I was unable to find the correct breakers locally. My dad was able to get the 60 amp breaker at his local supply house, so I am picking that up this weekend and getting the power on by Sunday!

The video turned out pretty good for this one, and it will be live later today. I'll post here once it's set.
Old 09-10-2021, 12:03 PM   #74
goofiefoot
Ten Point

The electrical video is live! If you enjoy watching someone drill holes and run wires, this video is for you. :LOL:

Enjoy! As always, feel free to send me feedback!
Old 09-10-2021, 03:49 PM   #75
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: ??

That's one of the cleanest electrical installs I've ever seen!
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-11-2021, 10:16 PM   #76
jlcc381
Spike

Hunt In: Decatur, Laredo, Jack Co.

Sweet build!
jlcc381 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-13-2021, 10:31 AM   #77
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
That's one of the cleanest electrical installs I've ever seen!
Wow, thanks so much! It probably took about 5 times longer than a pro, but I'm pleased with how it turned out.
Old 09-14-2021, 08:49 PM   #78
Rubberdown
Ten Point

how are you getting around the electrical permitting? Asking for a friend.
Rubberdown is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #79
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubberdown View Post
how are you getting around the electrical permitting? Asking for a friend.
Per conversation with the city, as long as I was not adding a separate electric service to the building itself, I was good to go. I'm using a licensed electrician (my dad) for the hookup between the 2 structures. The building itself is unpermitted as it's under the 200 sq ft threshold for in-city structures.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #80
goofiefoot
Ten Point

The power is on, and I spent this weekend getting the workshop insulated! Here in south Texas, we are not getting any autumn weather yet, so it was hot, sweaty, itchy work, especially wearing long sleeves and a mask.

I started with the ceiling, so that was a full day working over my head. I am pleased with the results.

There was a lot more to do to finish out the walls, though that work went a lot smoother.

I cut it WAY too close on the amount of material I bought, but I was able to use every scrap to finish out the walls. I do plan to go back with some expanding foam to fill in the corners, and that should cover everything.

It's amazing how much this made a difference in sound! It's so much quieter in here, and that's going to be great for filming my videos. Speaking of which, this episode is live, and I will link to it below.
Old 09-21-2021, 03:22 PM   #81
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Check out the insulation installation video! It's a pretty straightforward process, so I had some fun with timelapse shots.

Thanks for watching!
Old 09-22-2021, 11:21 AM   #82
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

This is coming along great. Am enjoying watching the progress. Good job sir.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2021, 01:46 PM   #83
bfree
Ten Point

Again, Great Work!!!
bfree is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2021, 03:01 PM   #84
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I am pleased to share the next stage in this tiny workshop build. I spent some time installing 3/8" plywood as the wall covering inside the shop, and it turned out great! I still have to trim things out, but it's awesome having a (near) finished look inside.

I originally planned to use 5mm poplar plywood from Lowes, as it was one of the less expensive options, and looked nice. However, about the time I was set to go buy it, it jumped considerably in price - almost a 50% increase! I then opted for the 3/8" which was a few bucks cheaper, and I figured having the extra thickness would work out better in the long run. I needed 27 sheets to complete the shop, which worked out to about 900+ pounds of lumber.

Once I got some final trim pieces in place, and cleared out the shop, I began installing the ceiling panels. I screwed a couple scrap boards together to screw to the top plate of the wall hold the bottom of the plywood, and pre-drilled all my screw holes to help the solo installation go smoother. Other than some on-the-fly readjustments, it went ok - just slow and steady.

I bought the WEN Track Saw a while back, paired with 2 Powertec Tracks, and I used the heck out of it for this stage of the build. It was nice to simply line up my marks and go, and be confident of a straight, accurate cut. I used the stock blade for this, and it worked just fine, though I will definitely be buying a better blade for future projects.

Putting up the wall panels was easier, though still slow-going, since I wanted to ensure all my measurements were dead-on, especially for the outlets and fixtures. There are a few places that I'll notice where things aren't perfect, but I'm pleased for the most part. I did screw up one panel around the door, where I measured an inset and cut from the wrong side, but it was nothing a scrap piece of ply couldn't fill in. I didn't total it up, but I used almost an entire 1,000 piece box of 1.5" screws here.

I probably took more time than necessary on this stage, just being careful in my measuring and cutting. I spent 4 days getting this done, so putting up that last panel felt really, really good. Once I get the trim around the doors, windows, and edges, the interior will basically be done and ready to actually do some shop work!

I put a lot of detail of my progress into the video, so you can see how it all came together. I'll post that below.
Old 10-21-2021, 03:02 PM   #85
goofiefoot
Ten Point

As I said above, this video shows a lot of the progression of the work, as well as some detail in my measuring and cutting. I hope you enjoy!

Old 11-11-2021, 02:58 PM   #86
goofiefoot
Ten Point

And just like that, 7 months later, the build is done! I finished up the interior trim, and painted the outside. I am very pleased with the results, and I can't wait to get in there and start working on projects!

I had the paint matched to our house paint. It's hard to see here, but the match is outstanding, especially with the stucco pattern Hardie on the shop and the real stucco on the house.

I'm loving the plywood interior, and the trim brings everything together well.

I've been moving my tools back into the space, and I'm going to purge some of the stuff before I move it in. Ideally, this needs to stay as clean and organized as I can make it to be usable.

The end of the build is only the beginning, so from here on out, I'll be posted my projects and builds in this thread. Thanks for following along!!!
Old 11-11-2021, 03:04 PM   #87
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I buckled down and got things knocked out in this video. I cut down 8.5 hours of footage into this 12.5 minutes.

Old 11-11-2021, 03:05 PM   #88
sboudreaux
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Looks great!
sboudreaux is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2021, 03:13 PM   #89
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Do you like the lights you ended up with on the interior? I've got a tac room in our new barn that i'm using as my workshop that needs a little more light.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-11-2021, 03:16 PM   #90
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyRo View Post
Do you like the lights you ended up with on the interior? I've got a tac room in our new barn that i'm using as my workshop that needs a little more light.
Yes, I like them a lot! Since I will not only be working on projects, but filming at the same time, I like that I can tilt the "petals" of each unit to shift light around. In this small space, they are super-bright!
Old 11-11-2021, 04:48 PM   #91
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

That turned out fantastic sir. I have enjoyed following along.
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 08:52 AM   #92
kmack
Eight Point

Hunt In: ??

Turned out Goode!

Any specific reason why you hand painted versus using a sprayer? I understand using a brush around the trim, but that was some work with the roller.
kmack is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 10:38 AM   #93
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobc View Post
That turned out fantastic sir. I have enjoyed following along.
Thanks for sticking with this! There's much more to come now that the building is complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmack View Post
Turned out Goode!

Any specific reason why you hand painted versus using a sprayer? I understand using a brush around the trim, but that was some work with the roller.
I considered heavily buying a sprayer, but in the end, having no experience with them and not wanting to spend the time to learn, I opted to do it by hand. The rolling actually went really quick. I used decent quality paint and it covered well. I did use cheap rollers, so I simply learned to switch them out more often to keep it moving. I do plan to buy a sprayer for furniture work.
Old 11-12-2021, 11:01 AM   #94
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall and Ft. Bend County

Nice work, stout build.
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 12:17 PM   #95
tdwinklr
Ten Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

great job! Now the fun begins in using it.

I did notice you have quite a step up to the floor from the ground, at door entry. Are you considering pouring a full or partial ramp across?
My shop has two 10' sliding doors, one on the end and one on a side. We poured concrete ramps for both and they've been a life-saver moving things in and out.
tdwinklr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-12-2021, 02:13 PM   #96
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdwinklr View Post
great job! Now the fun begins in using it.

I did notice you have quite a step up to the floor from the ground, at door entry. Are you considering pouring a full or partial ramp across?
My shop has two 10' sliding doors, one on the end and one on a side. We poured concrete ramps for both and they've been a life-saver moving things in and out.
Thanks! One of my next projects is to build a 10x10 deck off the front, to ease entry, reduce tracking sand into the shop, and to use as an extended work area.
Old 11-17-2021, 08:03 AM   #97
Ellen
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County, Texas

Looks great!! Can't wait to see the inside projects. Thanks for sharing.
Ellen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 11:10 AM   #98
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Yes, I like them a lot! Since I will not only be working on projects, but filming at the same time, I like that I can tilt the "petals" of each unit to shift light around. In this small space, they are super-bright!
I forgot to ask where you got them since i've seen several versions.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-17-2021, 05:41 PM   #99
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreyRo View Post
I forgot to ask where you got them since i've seen several versions.
Here is the link to the exact versions I bought:

2 Pack Led Garage Lights 100W Adjustable 6500K
Old 11-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #100
Mattyd
Nubbin' Buck

Fantastic job
Mattyd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top