RV electrical help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gneimeth View Post
    While in the military, I had a test where the instructor creates a bug in the system (won’t say what/where) anyways, I was on the last system and needed to find the fault in order to pass. I could not find it. Had a 5 hour time limit and a schematic book about twice as thick as a brick. I had about 10 minutes left, sweating, feeling nauseous about to break out into hives or DRT and I stopped, flipped back to PAGE 1 of the schematics and found the fuse holder. The ******* instructor pulled the fuse out. Lesson learned = keep it simple and start at Point A, Always! Lol
    My friends sometimes call me Barta, as in Tred Barta, because I have a tendency to make things harder than they should be. Hahahaha

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
    Those look like the 40amp fuses that are on the converter. I had to change mine last year also...then the whole converter crapped the bed a few weeks ago (prior to the big freeze event). Just got the new one delivered yesterday.
    As long it doesn't crap the bed before Tuesday I'm OK. I can deal with it after that. I cannot, however, deal with an unhappy wife and daughter 5 hours from home.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
      My friends sometimes call me Barta, as in Tred Barta, because I have a tendency to make things harder than they should be. Hahahaha

As long it doesn't crap the bed before Tuesday I'm OK. I can deal with it after that. I cannot, however, deal with an unhappy wife and daughter 5 hours from home.
      If it goes out just get a car battery charger and hook it up to your battery. You can power it from the trailer shore power. Most of your lights and controls are 12 volt.

Comment

Ok so I replaced the fuses today, and some relay thing just because I could, and everything seems to be working except the dvd player. Even the tv that the dvd player is hooked to works, so I’m guessing maybe the freeze killed it.

Comment

Ok so I replaced the fuses today, and some relay thing just because I could, and everything seems to be working except the dvd player. Even the tv that the dvd player is hooked to works, so I’m guessing maybe the freeze killed it.

I never understood why they put TV and CDs in a camper.
          Camping is for peace, quiet and relaxation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
            I never understood why they put TV and CDs in a camper.
            Camping is for peace, quiet and relaxation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Oh you don't know modern camping these days lol. We camp when we hunt, lots of places. This year camping at Amistad most of the campgrounds had 10 or so RVs and trailers in them. We actually thought one guy was dead and told the rangers to do a welfare check. These people never come out of their rigs.

Comment

So another update: before we left today I checked everything again and all was well. When we got to our destination both 40 amp fuses were blown. All we did was travel? Fortunately I had some spares but this is a bit disconcerting.

I’m starting to think maybe theres an issue with the converter after all.

Also, can y’all tell me if I have the battery hooked up wrong? Everywhere I’ve looked it says white is negative and black is positive, but mine are black and red and theres what I’m guessing is a ground wire. I know previously the ground was hooked up like it is now, I’m just not sure if I’ve got these on backwards. Maybe I do and thats where the issue lies?

Click image for larger version

Name:	A64A9872-B4FD-4857-90DE-8024502800F1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	24645977

Comment

So another update: before we left today I checked everything again and all was well. When we got to our destination both 40 amp fuses were blown. All we did was travel? Fortunately I had some spares but this is a bit disconcerting.

I’m starting to think maybe theres an issue with the converter after all.

Also, can y’all tell me if I have the battery hooked up wrong? Everywhere I’ve looked it says white is negative and black is positive, but mine are black and red and theres what I’m guessing is a ground wire. I know previously the ground was hooked up like it is now, I’m just not sure if I’ve got these on backwards. Maybe I do and thats where the issue lies?

[ATTACH]1043535[/ATTACH]
                That battery is hooked up backwards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                  That battery is hooked up backwards.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                  I knew it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Could this be causing the fuses to blow? I had to use the battery power to lower the jack so maybe that’s when the fuses blew?
                  Last edited by Etxbuckman; 03-13-2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Never seen black and red wires coming off of a battery where red was hooked up to the negative battery terminal.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                      Never seen black and red wires coming off of a battery where red was hooked up to the negative battery terminal.
                      So you agree I’ve got it hooked up backwards?

Comment

So you agree I’ve got it hooked up backwards?
                        Yes and hope fully nothing was damaged other than some fuses blown.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          Yes and hope fully nothing was damaged other than some fuses blown.
                          I got it connected properly and everything seems to be OK (with the exception of the dvd player. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty so I may be using that).

Guys thank you again for your help. I truly appreciate it.

Comment

I got it connected properly and everything seems to be OK (with the exception of the dvd player. Fortunately I bought the extended warranty so I may be using that).

Comment

Did you plug the DVD into a known hot outlet to see if it works?

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                                Did you plug the DVD into a known hot outlet to see if it works?
                                It doesn’t plug in in the traditional sense. It’s routed through the little tv up there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA8704DE-B925-480B-872B-60A7E46FBA71.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	24645980

Comment

Working...
                                X