Clunking noise in my 2008 dodge ram megacab when in 4WD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clunking noise in my 2008 dodge ram megacab when in 4WD

A couple weeks ago I noticed a slight vibration on the front right side of my truck going down the highway. I figured it was a wheel out of balance so I rotated the tires. No help, still has the vibration.

When I got to the farm I switched it to 4WD and it engaged fine but makes a clunking noise on every rotation while in 4WD. This happens in 4HI and 4Low. I tried backing up/disengaging several times and it didn't fix it.

I am sure some of you guys have experienced similar issues. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

U-joint on the front drive shaft maybe.

Comment

Most likely a front hub going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
        Most likely a front hub going bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        How can I test it to see if that is what it is?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          U-joint on the front drive shaft maybe.
          My f 250 had that noise and it was U-joint

Comment

Jack up the tire and see if it has play top and bottom or side to side. Look behind the hub and see if the drive line has play.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
              A couple weeks ago I noticed a slight vibration on the front right side of my truck going down the highway. I figured it was a wheel out of balance so I rotated the tires. No help, still has the vibration.

When I got to the farm I switched it to 4WD and it engaged fine but makes a clunking noise on every rotation while in 4WD. This happens in 4HI and 4Low. I tried backing up/disengaging several times and it didn't fix it.

I am sure some of you guys have experienced similar issues. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
              Buy a Ford

Comment

oval hose

Originally posted by deerplanter View Post
                Jack up the tire and see if it has play top and bottom or side to side. Look behind the hub and see if the drive line has play.
                I jacked it up and there is no play in the wheel at all. Everything seems tight. I will have a friend come over and see if he can help me tell where the noise is coming from for sure.

Comment

I jacked it up and there is no play in the wheel at all. Everything seems tight. I will have a friend come over and see if he can help me tell where the noise is coming from for sure.
                  Put on the parking brake, put it in neutral, manually and visual check the drive shaft, maybe scotch up the wheels for safety

Comment

Likely a front hub going bad or front axle joint.

Comment

Get a pry bar and see if the drive axle U-joint moves around. Thats what it sounds like.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                        Buy a Ford
                        You misspelled Toyota

Comment

Sounds like drive line, I'm not familiar with dodge , could be axle and u joint.

Comment

i had a friend come over a confirm it is in the front right. Probable the U joint but i took a prybar and cant find any play in it. Wheel bearing has no play in it either but it only happens in 4wd mostly when going forward.

Thanks for the help guys.

Is that one easy to change or should i take it to a mechanic.?

Comment

i had a friend come over a confirm it is in the front right. Probable the U joint but i took a prybar and cant find any play in it. Wheel bearing has no play in it either but it only happens in 4wd mostly when going forward.

Thanks for the help guys.

Is that one easy to change or should i take it to a mechanic.?
                              Big socket and torque wrench. I think that hub nut is 260ft.lbs

Comment

Working...
                              X