Land Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Survey

My parents had 31 acre farm in Hardin, Texas area and have passed. We have completed probate and I'm buying my sister and brothers part out. My wife, son and I will be building a new home there and moving this year. However, I can't find a survey on file anywhere, only deeds. I need a survey and have obtained two quote, one for $2450 and the other for $3000 plus tax. The land is 90% farm land and already has metal markers from about 70 years ago.

1. What do they cost so much?

2. Any suggestions on a cheaper surveyor?

I was initially told by coworkers that it should be about $1000. Whoever surveys it will be taxied by me on my Kawasaki mule and will be easy to see the markers.

Any help is appreciated.

I am a land surveyor, but this is only my $.02.

1 - $2,450-$3,000 is extremely cheap for 31 acres. Equipment isn't cheap, software, trucks, gas, insurance, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on.

2 - You may be able to find a cheaper surveyor but keep in mind, a cheap survey can cost way more than an expensive survey. Look for a mom and pop shop type of surveyor, they may have less overhead leading to lower costs.

Comment

Make sure they are doing a boundary survey only unless you intend on borrowing money against any improvements and property to build. 5hen I would suggest boundary and improvements survey or you’ll have to get another one once you build. 30 acres fairly simple survey in south Texas runs $2000 plus, or has recently. $1000 seems a bit cheap.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I was just shocked at how much it cost. But I also don't know all the equipment, etc that goes into this. It looks like the $2450 might be a good deal.

Comment

Originally posted by atcfisherman View Post
          Thanks for the information. I was just shocked at how much it cost. But I also don't know all the equipment, etc that goes into this. It looks like the $2450 might be a good deal.
          They have to pull your deed, the adjoiner's deeds, ROW information, sketch everything up, calculate search ties, and more, before even going in to the field. If it's platted, which I am thinking 30+ acres isn't, then that's all on the plat. Once the fieldwork is done, it's back to the office for boundary resolution, writing the metes and bounds, creating the survey, sealing it, and more. If it's a Land Title Survey, they have to go through the title commitment as well and plot all applicable easements. It's more than guys in the field running around with a GPS rover or prism pole.

Convincing land owners our fees are worth it is hard enough, try convincing a Civil Engineer! I kid I kid (not really). Land Surveying is a cool profession. There is a lot more to it than the guys you see on the side of the road.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie182 View Post
            Convincing land owners our fees are worth it is hard enough, try convincing a Civil Engineer! I kid I kid (not really).
            Biting the hand that feeds, eh?
            Kidding— I’m a civil and we value our high quality (and fee) surveyor relationships highly. The guy we work with has saved a lot of headaches by doing things right and catching issues that someone else wouldn’t have seen or let go if they had. Some are cheap and/or will never be convinced, and in this market if you have a reputation for quality work you should have the luxury of being somewhat selective.

Comment

You don’t want a cheap survey, trust me.

Comment

I think I paid about $1500 for a 5 acre site with a home on it and that was a very competitive bid compared to others. Not sure what the 65 acre site I bought a couple of years ago was but I know it was closer to $5K as they split a larger piece into two and staked all new boundaries.

I always freak out a the cost of services but I then back up, figure out how much time, equipment, training, etc., and then assume a profit margin and how many it would take to make a decent living. Usually I realize it's more than fair and pay the rate. We all want a Filet dinner on a McDonalds budget but those types of scenarios always cause indigestion down the road...

Comment

If you’re borrowing money to build, you need to wait until you have a title commitment before you do the survey. And those quotes weren’t bad at all for 31 acres. I think you are vastly simplifying the process in your mind.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie182 View Post
                    I am a land surveyor, but this is only my $.02.

1 - $2,450-$3,000 is extremely cheap for 31 acres. Equipment isn't cheap, software, trucks, gas, insurance, etc. etc. etc. The list goes on.

2 - You may be able to find a cheaper surveyor but keep in mind, a cheap survey can cost way more than an expensive survey. Look for a mom and pop shop type of surveyor, they may have less overhead leading to lower costs.
                    This!

Comment

I am having a survey done as we speak on 25 acres near Beaumont. The cost is $900.

Comment

Originally posted by ecallarman View Post
                        I am having a survey done as we speak on 25 acres near Beaumont. The cost is $900.
                        Is it an update? It's amazing what folks are willing to give their work away for.

Comment

I had one done late year for a refinance. I have 28.5 acres. I cut out about 7 acres that would be free & clear. I have a 8 year old survey with metes and bounds. It cost me about $1600. I shopped 4 places and picked the one most reasonable. Quotes were anywhere from $1500 to $2500. Madison County.

Comment

Originally posted by ecallarman View Post
                            I would be extremely leery of the resulting survey. As Chad mentioned unless it is just the same surveyor from a couple years prior there is 0% chance he is performing all the necessary research to complete a certifiable boundary survey.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad_E View Post
                              I would be extremely leery of the resulting survey. As Chad mentioned unless it is just the same surveyor from a couple years prior there is 0% chance he is performing all the necessary research to complete a certifiable boundary survey.
                              I guess there is extenuating circumstances as you have mentioned, that may make it a bit easier/lower costs to survey. The adjoining property on 2 sides have recently been surveyed so maybe that makes a bit easier to perform. I know that my real estate agent told me back when we were looking at the property to expect somewhere around $900-$1000 for the survey, so I am assuming this is the going price in our area for surveys. IDK but I do know this survey is being performed by one of the most reputable/largest survey firms in our area.
                              Last edited by ecallarman; 01-12-2021, 08:30 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X