Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McClain View Post
    Congrats! Good looking specimen!
    Thank ya, he's a pretty good one. Built like a tank for sure. That son of a gun stopped a bullet that normally comes out of coyotes on a broadside shot. Not sure where it ended up I figured just under the skin on the opposite side but I didn't feel it. He soaked it up enough it rolled him over on his back.

Comment

One of my buddies swears up and down he had one dig under chicken wire and kill two chickens and eat them three nights ago. I've never heard of a badger doing that but I suppose they will if groceries are scarce.

Comment

Awesome little critters and one I'd love to have.

Curious, you say the buyers want the skulls more than the hide. What are they doing with them? Must be a marker for them somewhere?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
          Awesome little critters and one I'd love to have.

Curious, you say the buyers want the skulls more than the hide. What are they doing with them? Must be a marker for them somewhere?

I know the guy I sell fur to does taxidermy too so I think he probably just sells them to whoever wants one. But I've had other fur buyers say the same thing so I assume they have people they're selling them to. There's a company that puts skulls of different animals up for sale so maybe it's something like that they're supplying skulls to but I'm not 100% sure on that either.

It didn't always used to be that way. Badger pelts used to be what they were paying for when they bought them back when I first started predator huntin and stuff. But in recent years they'll tell you they're more interested in the skulls so if you head shoot one it's not worth but maybe $3 to $5 if they take it at all. Which is kinda crazy to me because they're actually pretty animals I think. They have cool lookin fur.
          Last edited by okrattler; 12-05-2020, 01:22 PM.

Comment

Man I've wanted to get a Badger for quite a while, just never seen one in the wild..... You got the jackpot up there

Comment

Agreed, I think they have a great looking fur. Perhaps something about it I feel or look just not as desirable in the fur market.

Comment

Badger

Badger Gumbo tonight.

Comment

Just read thru the entire thread and really enjoyed the pics, do you have pics of any skulls mounted?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                    One of my buddies swears up and down he had one dig under chicken wire and kill two chickens and eat them three nights ago. I've never heard of a badger doing that but I suppose they will if groceries are scarce.

They sure will. Had one do that to some family members who live up in Idaho.

Killed quite a few before they caught it in the act & killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Rudyl View Post
                          Just read thru the entire thread and really enjoyed the pics, do you have pics of any skulls mounted?
                          I don't have any European style mounts with badger skulls but I do have a skull off of the biggest one I've ever shot. I'll get a picture of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                            Agreed, I think they have a great looking fur. Perhaps something about it I feel or look just not as desirable in the fur market.

I don't remember if we talked about it earlier in the thread but for a long time, maybe even still badger fur was used for shaving brushes and things like that. I'm not sure what else they're used for that's really all I've ever heard it's used for. And those brushes like that are high dollar from what I've heard. Or at least used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                              They sure will. Had one do that to some family members who live up in Idaho.

Killed quite a few before they caught it in the act & killed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I was kinda figuring it was raccoons but I believe he's right he explained kinda what it's been doing and what the holes look like. Guess it's been digging around other places too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                                Man I've wanted to get a Badger for quite a while, just never seen one in the wild..... You got the jackpot up there
                                Up around Perryton, Texas and even a little further South and on into the Panhandle of Oklahoma and all over Southwest Kansas they're pretty common. Anywhere there's prairie and farm ground they will be.

I see more sign of them than actually see them but days like today are perfect for them to be seen during the day. We had a pretty good snow a few days ago which seems to keep them holed up. The sun is out,hardly any wind and it's fairly warm. After they've been holed up like that they like to get out in that warm sun and curl up on their mounds to take a nap. That sun feels pretty good to them after a cold spell.

Comment

Working...
                                X