Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tattoos - what advice would you give a young person?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tattoos - what advice would you give a young person?

What advice would you give a young person (let's say college age) if they were considering a tattoo?

Pay extra for quality. Start with somewhere less visible when clothed - don’t get meaningless words in other languages.

Also don’t take tattoo advice from a boomer unless they have extensive tattoo experience
    Last edited by 3rdCoastHunter; 05-10-2022, 09:14 AM.

Comment

[quote=LukeDuke;16212674]What advice would you give a young person (let's say college age) if they were considering a tattoo?

General advice not trying to persuade them, or trying to talk them out of it? You should get plenty of responses on this subject matter haha
      Last edited by tfrye; 05-10-2022, 09:04 AM.

Comment

It's a permanent reminder of a temporary feeling.

Culture has certainly shifted on the perception of tattoo's. They are not as taboo anymore, but I figure still in certain professions it might be good to be able to cover them when needed. Like a lawyer probably shouldn't have a face tattoo.

I love tattoos and am working on a design for a new one. None of mine extend beyond my sleeve line, etc.

Comment

First..... don't do it.

Second, remember that life changes but tats stay. Having SALLY on your butt won't go over well when Sally is gone.

No trashy tats period. If gonna do it regardless, it should have meaning.

Comment

Don't get one would be my advice. I got one at that age and regret it every time I see it. If said person just has to get one tell them to put it on their back or somewhere they can hide it. Do the research on a GOOD artist and spend the extra money. You get what you pay for on a tattoo.

Comment

Don't....

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                What advice would you give a young person (let's say college age) if they were considering a tattoo?

I have several and started when I was 18. My personal rules (not for everyone) are:

1. Good ink ain't cheap. Cheap ink ain't good. Find a quality artist...it's forever
                2. No words/letters/foreign characters/people's faces
                3. Nothing I wouldn't mind showing my boss, coworkers or family
                4. Consider placement vs your day-to-day work. I have a full sleeve on my right arm, wear short sleeved shirts but I work in a relaxed environment an noone cares about tattoos. It was a consideration I made before getting it.
                5. The body is a temple...all good temples have quality art hung on the walls
                6. I usually wait a year or more when I decide I really want a piece. If I still want it after that time, I get it
                Last edited by JonBoy; 05-10-2022, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kmart49 View Post
                  Don't....
                  This.....

So many bad tatoos out there. Man, most of what I see these days is awful.

Comment

Take them around and show them some older folks and what they’ll look like when they get old!

I wouldn’t advise them With anything but don’t do it!

There are a whole lot of employers out there that won’t hear a word they are saying when they walk into the office for an interview sporting ink!
                    Last edited by Bucknaked; 05-10-2022, 09:17 AM.

Comment

They are certainly more acceptable today than ever before. That said, I still think go with less visible ones to start. Everytime I see a neck tattoo or on the hands or face, I just can't help but think why??? No significant other names or chinese writing. No one cares.

Comment

My advice would be don't do it.I have two small ones and I'm almost done laser removing one of them.

Sent from my SM-A135U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post

I probably wouldn't tell them anything. If there college age then they are old enough to know what they are about to do is permanent. I doubt what you say is gonna change there minds if they want one regardless. I for one dont mind them though. I would suggest to them probably to get something respectful and not trashy.

Comment

Be careful what you get.

I had a great uncle who got a naked lady on his forearm when he was in the navy. It was one of those old school green ink ones. He could make her dance when he flexed his forearm. I always thought it was really cool when I was a little kid. He always regretted getting it.

Also know what is acceptable in regards to your career. Although that has changed drastically in the recent past. I am a coach and you would rarely see a teacher/coach with a tat when I started in the early nineties. We have a female teacher with a mohawk and tats all over her head this year. That still seems strange to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                              Take them around and show them some older folks and what they’ll look like when they get old!

I wouldn’t advise them With anything but don’t do it!
                              Yes tweety bird on the boob turns into big bird 30 years later

Comment

Working...
                              X