Houston Raceway Park….

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Houston Raceway Park….

Final event this weekend. Shutting down after 35 years.
    THANK GOD
    I know some folks love….nearly live for… racing and more power to them but that place couldn’t be in a worse place for traffic that nearly shuts down the east side of the city during the Spring nationals and winternationals.
    And the noise. I’m about 2 miles away as the crow flies and it rattles the windows here. I only built here because I knew they were closing. I feel sorry for all the folks that lived RIGHT THERE before it ever built….that’s gotta be miserable

I heard they were closing down but only long enough to expand the track for more HP CARS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post
      I heard they were closing down but only long enough to expand the track for more HP CARS.

I don’t believe this is the case.

There was a release by the owners last year that states it had been sold. The intention of those that bought it was to tear out the track and turn the land into a large storage facility for shipping/receiving purposes, as I recall.

Comment

Sad to see it go. We were there Friday when Brittany force went 333 mph for the all time track record in qualifying.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          Sad to see it go. We were there Friday when Brittany force went 333 mph for the all time track record in qualifying.
          333??

Good lord

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sideways View Post

No, that's not the word that has been going around for the last three years. It has been sold, last year was supposed to be it's last year open. But somehow they got that date moved back.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist View Post
              I don’t believe this is the case.

There was a release by the owners last year that states it had been sold. The intention of those that bought it was to tear out the track and turn the land into a large storage facility for shipping/receiving purposes, as I recall.
              "Industrial park" were the words I remember, or dreamed up.

333mph in a 1/4!! wowzers

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                333??

Good lord

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                Yesir, 3.69 at 333 mph.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

I do seem to remember that Industrial was mentioned in the release. I was remembering it mentioning warehouses as well but again, I could be wrong.

Anyway, the track is slated to go bye-bye.

Comment

That is my favorite track, very sad to know it's going away, but it's been known for at least three years, it was coming. That is one bad *** track.

So that track is going away, the track in Marion is gone, it got bought, and shut down last winter. Then Hennessey bought the track in Sealy, kept it open to the public for a few years, then shut it down to the public. So it's been gone. The HMP is bad news, for many reasons. I don't have any desire to go down that track.

The only tracks I know of that still exist in the southern half of Texas are HMP, then Little River near Temple. Then the track in Edinburg. There are no big or good tracks left in the southern half of the state, after HRP goes. That track was the track to hit, if you wanted to get some good numbers. It and English Town New Jersey have been two of the fastest tracks in the country. In the winter and early spring, Orlando can be pretty fast, but HRP, could usually get you better numbers.

Any home owner who buys a house near a existing track, then complains about the noise, is the problem with this world. Along with the developers who buy land near race tracks for the purpose of building houses. The developers are the bigger problem. I realize there are clueless people, who are clueless to what's around them. Just look at what is in front of them.

We used to live about 7 miles from the track in Marion, if the weather was right and the fast cars were at the track. We could hear them running. At my shop, which is about 2.5 to 3 miles from the track, you can very clearly hear the faster cars, when they are running. I would have to make noise to drown out the sound of the cars, because it makes me want to go to the track.

Comment

I had some good times there, I wonder if another will be built in the general area?

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

Not 1/4.. 1000feet. Even more impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                            That is my favorite track, very sad to know it's going away, but it's been known for at least three years, it was coming. That is one bad *** track.

So that track is going away, the track in Marion is gone, it got bought, and shut down last winter. Then Hennessey bought the track in Sealy, kept it open to the public for a few years, then shut it down to the public. So it's been gone. The HMP is bad news, for many reasons. I don't have any desire to go down that track.

The only tracks I know of that still exist in the southern half of Texas are HMP, then Little River near Temple. Then the track in Edinburg. There are no big or good tracks left in the southern half of the state, after HRP goes. That track was the track to hit, if you wanted to get some good numbers. It and English Town New Jersey have been two of the fastest tracks in the country. In the winter and early spring, Orlando can be pretty fast, but HRP, could usually get you better numbers.

Any home owner who buys a house near a existing track, then complains about the noise, is the problem with this world. Along with the developers who buy land near race tracks for the purpose of building houses. The developers are the bigger problem. I realize there are clueless people, who are clueless to what's around them. Just look at what is in front of them.

We used to live about 7 miles from the track in Marion, if the weather was right and the fast cars were at the track. We could hear them running. At my shop, which is about 2.5 to 3 miles from the track, you can very clearly hear the faster cars, when they are running. I would have to make noise to drown out the sound of the cars, because it makes me want to go to the track.
                            Texas motor plex

Comment

Been going there since high school, had vip tickets for Saturday but couldnt make it. Hate to see it go, but to move close by and then complain about the noise, is just plain retarded.

Comment

Working...
                              X