Considering a used bay boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd love some thoughts on what I'm currently considering, and welcome insight into things I may not have listed below.

We've been here in Rockport for 2 years now, and I'm really getting the itch to have my own bay boat. I love going out in my kayak, but I'd love to be able to take my family or friends along and get a bit farther out, especially when the wind is up. I've gathered some insight, and would like to get more, to help me in my search.

I've always been around boats, and have several buddies that I go out with pretty regularly down here, so I'm familiar with all the pieces and parts - I've just never owned my own boat. I have contacts that own a shop here in town, and based on some conversations with them, here's what I (think I) am considering:

Budget - $20-25k

Length - ±20-22'

Age - less than 10 years, or at least a good hull with a newer motor (I've seen some nice re-powered Pathfinders that seem reasonable)

Preferred features
    • PowerPole or similar
    • T-top or bimini (wife is fair-skinned)
    • trolling motor
    • navigation/GPS system
    • storage
    • somewhat comfortable/dry in chop
    • 12" or less draft (not looking for a super-skinny skiff, but I'd like to drift the flats without dragging)

Things to avoid
    • E-Tec or Optimax engines (apparently hard to get parts for, per the shop)
    • underpowered vessels (I'd like something that can get out of its own way)
    • damaged or fixer-upper situations

Used boat prices have been downright silly the past few years, but I have a feeling they'll start dropping with all the volatility and inflation we're seeing, and I hope this opens up more options within my budget. I will have to pay to store it, as I have no room at my house, so I'll be considering that expense as well.

Anyway, I'd love any thoughts or insights from y'all. I'm not in a hurry, and want to find what will be best for me and my family in the long run. If there are brands I should target, or avoid, please let me know.

Unless something changes with that size, age and options you mentioned that’s virtually a pipe dream.

Not trying to bust your bubble.

There was a pathfinder in the classifieds that was a great deal but not sure if Gary sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You can find them but it’s tough and remember… BOAT… Bust Out Another Thousand…

Comment

A little older than you’re looking for and a little more but this is one badazz bay boat.
        Attached Files

Comment

Can you work on your “ Stuff?”

Comment

All boats are a compromise. Make sure you buy the boat that fits your type of fishing and expectations. Find someone you trust to help you look it over. You'll pay more at a dealer but a reputable place will help your choice. Take it for a test ride no matter what. Take a friend that help keep you on track with what you want. And take your time, the right one is out there you just have to find it. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
              A little older than you’re looking for and a little more but this is one badazz bay boat.
              Right motor,jumps quickly but don't meet "dry in chop" category.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                Unless something changes with that size, age and options you mentioned that’s virtually a pipe dream.

Not trying to bust your bubble.

There was a pathfinder in the classifieds that was a great deal but not sure if Gary sold it.
                No worries, I kinda expected some push back on my wish list. I am certainly open to compromise on most of the specs, as long as I don't have to compromise ALL of them.

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                You can find them but it’s tough and remember… BOAT… Bust Out Another Thousand…
                Yeah, I know what I'm signing up for. I'm prepared to spend the time to find just the right one, and plan to have a bit more cash on hand for "emergencies"

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                I like the look of these, and see them all over around here. I would prefer that engine be a bit newer. Everything else looks pretty good. Wouldn't be too hard to slap some sort of shade device on it, too.

Originally posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
                Can you work on your “ Stuff?”
                Will you elaborate?

Originally posted by kevin nicholls View Post
                All boats are a compromise. Make sure you buy the boat that fits your type of fishing and expectations. Find someone you trust to help you look it over. You'll pay more at a dealer but a reputable place will help your choice. Take it for a test ride no matter what. Take a friend that help keep you on track with what you want. And take your time, the right one is out there you just have to find it. Good luck
                Wise words. Yes, this has been repeated to me several times in my exploring, and I will definitely heed the advice. Thanks!

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Right motor,jumps quickly but don't meet "dry in chop" category.
                Yeah, those low sides don't exactly shout comfy and dry, but man, those low sides...

I appreciate the thoughts. Keep em coming!

Comment

I was in your shoes not long ago and I looked hard and finally found a good fit at a price I could live with.

Remember it’s easy to add accessories or options with time. I needed something good in the bay and lakes because my time is split 50/50 between the two on the water where i gave was on age of boat/motor purchasing a 09 frontier with t-top 200 Yamaha SHO (60hrs at time of purchase) garmin electronics and a power pole and Bluetooth sound system.

I have since added a turbo swing for pulling tubes and a ipilot trolling motor.

One consideration you should make is on where/how you plan to store the boat as t-top will require significantly more door height

Comment

I wouldn't be scared to go a bit older depending on hours and what motor is hanging on the back. I love a 4 stroke yamaha for what it's worth.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                      I wouldn't be scared to go a bit older depending on hours and what motor is hanging on the back. I love a 4 stroke yamaha for what it's worth.
                      4 stroke all the way with fuel prices today.

Comment

There some deals out there you just might have to do a road trip to find it, get on Boat Trader and start searching.

Comment

Also a T top takes up a lot of room in a 20-22” boat when it comes to casting a such. Also catches a bunch of wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My NCOIC grew up in Maimi, and she told me if I wanted a good deal on a boat to head down there at the end of the summer.

Apprentely a lot of well to do folks from the East coast like to head to Miami over the summer and will buy a new boat. And when its time to go back home they sell the boat at the end of the season.

I should stated this was a discussion we had in the early 90s, but I suspect the practice still goes on.

Check this one out - https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bod...485805178.html
                            Last edited by hopedale; 05-20-2022, 07:15 AM.

Comment

Pathfinders are great boats, my current boat and my prior boat were Pathfinders. Both 2007 models with Yamaha 150 four strokes. Pathfinders hold their value and unless you find a smoking deal, you won't find one under 2010 for less than 30k. I bought my 2007 2000v last year for 25,000 then I added a power pole, Lowrance hds 16 and many maintenance items for another 9,000. I can see the prices coming down some if the economy keeps it current pace, but probably not much.

Comment

Working...
                              X