Okay gun guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay gun guys

I haven't bought a gun in twenty years. I'm wanting to buy a 22 revolver that will support a cheap scope, if desired, for my grandkids to try a plink turtles. Not hunting the best, just something good enough to start with. All advice is welcome.

I’m curious why you wouldn’t want to buy them a rifle. I’m just thinking for accuracy and seems much safer to me.

Comment

Contender?

Comment

I've got a rifle with no scope. The revolver will be without a scope and then I might add a cheap scope. Just challenging them to learn to shoot with anything.

Comment

I'm no help on a .22 pistol you can scope but if you can nab a heritage rough rider for $100 I don't think there's a more fun budget pistol out there.

Comment

How old are they ?

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
              I've got a rifle with no scope. The revolver will be without a scope and then I might add a cheap scope. Just challenging them to learn to shoot with anything.
              Gotcha. Good luck Mark. Grand kids are a blast. No pun intended.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                I'm no help on a .22 pistol you can scope but if you can nab a heritage rough rider for $100 I don't think there's a more fun budget pistol out there.
                There’s a new Rough Rider with a rail on top. If you don’t mind the Bonanza meets Darth Vader look.

Comment

Your spoiling those kids.....

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                    How old are they ?
                    Not sure on age but they've been killing deer and turkey for a few years. Two 6th graders and a 5th grader as of now. Just asking a question so it gets a little harder to hit a turtle. Might move back a few yards to give them a challenge. Just curious for a cheap 22 revolver that will take a scope as I move them farther back from the target.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                      Not sure on age but they've been killing deer and turkey for a few years. Two 6th graders and a 5th grader as of now. Just asking a question so it gets a little harder to hit a turtle. Might move back a few yards to give them a challenge. Just curious for a cheap 22 revolver that will take a scope as I move them farther back from the target.
                      See post #8

Comment

Not knowing how old these kids are, my first thought might be to get a Contender, like suggested. That way, you can buy 10", 12" 14", 16", you can get barrels down in the 7" range. I only like the 14" and 16" for the Contender handguns. But you are talking about kids of unknown age. So getting a 10 or 12" barrel, might be easier for them to deal with, being lighter. Also typically the 12" and up are usually bull barrels, unless they are custom. The 10" barrels are typically thin tapered octagon barrels. Which would be noticeably lighter than a 14" bull barrel for a kid.

Then a Contenders are single shots, you could switch barrels out with a 17 HMR, 22 Mag, 22 Hornet or about 1000 other calibers in the future. A 17 Rem, in a Super 14 or Super 16, would be very deadly on turtles, and I would be every one of those 17 caliber bullets would explode into tiny pieces, on impact with the water. So you would not have any bullets skipping off the water and going who knows where. Then you could even set it up as a carbine.

Then you can get very good quality open sights, they have been used for shooting silhouettes for years, with open sights. You can also get peep sights for Contenders, I just saw a brand new Williams peep sight. Then you can put red dots on them, then handgun scopes of any size or power.

If you really want a revolver to put a scope on and shoot turtles, which commonly would be 50 yard shots, potentially farther. I would be looking at something like a S&W 617. I know Colt also made 22 LR versions of their Trooper and I think their Diamond Back, but those are going to be up there in price, and hard to find.

A much cheaper option and easier to install a optical sight on, would be something like a Browning Buck Mark or the S&W equivalent, the Model 22A. I have had one of those, it was very accurate and cheap, and very easy to mount a scope or red dot on.

Whatever you choose, it should be a lot of fun.

Comment

A Ruger Wrangler revolver might be a good choice. Around $215.

Comment

Just checked and the Ruger does not have scope mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by Mahan View Post
                              Just checked and the Ruger does not have scope mounts.
                              Large zip ties!

Comment

Working...
                              X