Houston, for the last time...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to drive to houston for the last time today. Sold the house and close tomorrow. It's been 42 years of way too many people all in one place. I was never born to live in a city like that, but I married a houston gal. Even she hasn't been able take it for a long time. Teaching as a profession afforded me a lifestyle of living in the country and working in the city. When we bought the farm we were both happy in our jobs and old enough to not want to look for a new job. It was always so tough going back Sunday night though.

Wish me luck, I'll frickin' need it. Happiness is houston in my rear view mirror.

I remember that day in 2019. Mixed emotions but at the time I was so fed up with the crowds and crime. I miss certain things about it like Astros games and some of the best dining in the country. Especially miss decent Mexican food cause it all sucks up here but I'll take the tradeoff.
    Congrats

Comment

I k ow what you mean! We moved from the Austin area in 2017. I talked my wife, who was a school principal, into retiring and we over way out in the sticks just out of Sonora. My only regret is that I didn’t do it 25yrs earlier!!!!!!! Oh, and that there isn’t an archery shop to hang out in all day here!!!!

Good luck to you!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Bisch; 05-09-2022, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
        I k ow what you mean! We moved from the Austin area in 2017. I talked my wife, who was a school principal, into retiring and we over way out in the sticks just out of Sonora. My only regret is that I did t do it 25yrs earlier!!!!!!!

Good luck to you!

Bisch

Amen! Get outta the city ASAP

So much more enjoyable. Life is tooooo short

Comment

Good luck too you sir!

Comment

Kongrats on the new lifestyle and probably a more than expected price for your home![emoji106]
            Looks like Houston and the surrounding areas are one of the leading places for new arrivals however. The burbs of Houston have been fantastic for us......but we don't have to geaux to Houston regularly and sit in that traffic....lol.[emoji854]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
              I have to drive to houston for the last time today. Sold the house and close tomorrow. It's been 42 years of way too many people all in one place. I was never born to live in a city like that, but I married a houston gal. Even she hasn't been able take it for a long time. Teaching as a profession afforded me a lifestyle of living in the country and working in the city. When we bought the farm we were both happy in our jobs and old enough to not want to look for a new job. It was always so tough going back Sunday night though.

Wish me luck, I'll frickin' need it. Happiness is houston in my rear view mirror.

I envy you and look forward to the same day. My wife has 5 more years of teaching and she can retire and my son will graduate in 6 so we are counting down
              Also same scenario with the farm, more and more difficult to leave on Sundays to come back to this hell hole called houston
              Good luck and enjoy!

Comment

Good on you guys for movin out!. I moved to the little town of Angleton almost 50 years ago. Today, it's almost a Houston suburb. I'm still outside town but all the farmland around me has been turned into "ranchette". *** is a "ranchette"? Got a freeway through town, straight shot to Houston. Thankfully I'm an Old Timer. Hopin I can hold onto my sanity til the end.

Comment

I made a promise to my self that I was going to move away from hell hole one day. Thinking way out in west Texas.

Comment

I do it every day and glad to do so. I return in the darkness so it sneaks up on me. Like others, Sunday ride home sucks

Congrats on the freedom

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      I do it every day and glad to do so. I return in the darkness so it sneaks up on me. Like others, Sunday ride home sucks

Congrats on the freedom

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
                      Worked and survived in Houston proper for over 35 years. Found a place with acreage in Brazoria County during the 2009 housing crisis, been happy ever since. No idea why I didn't do this years ago. Now retired and thinking about moving again to the Midwest.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Comment

Happy for you man. My wife’s career brought us back down here to Katy. Absolutely hate being around Houston. We moved to Houston in1960. I finally got out of here in 2014. So we e come full circle back into the cess pool.

Comment

Congrats! We’re years away from that but look forward to a new home base on some land.

Comment

Someday this small town Kansas boy is getting the heck out of Houston too. Way too many people around here!

Comment

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post

Where are you going? As others have said only thing I miss about Houston is the food.

Edit: I am guessing Kosse lol based on your screen name.

Comment

Working...
                              X