Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats good job

Comment

Congrats Jim, way to go!! Pulling for your son to get one now too.
      No Nilgai for us today. I did finally see some, unfortunately they all saw me before I saw them. I was trying to do some stalking through the brush and it didn't work. But it was good to at least lay eyes on some. Did see more deer and pigs. Talked to a few hunters on the way out this evening and none of them have had any luck yet either. We plan to hunt until about noon tomorrow before heading home so the morning hunt will be our last attempt. I have really enjoyed the time spent outdoors with my son trying to figure this place out. It is a neat place and several fellow TBHs have volunteered advice and spot info. Appreciate it all.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
        Congrats Jim, way to go!! Pulling for your son to get one now too.
        No Nilgai for us today. I did finally see some, unfortunately they all saw me before I saw them. I was trying to do some stalking through the brush and it didn't work. But it was good to at least lay eyes on some. Did see more deer and pigs. Talked to a few hunters on the way out this evening and none of them have had any luck yet either. We plan to hunt until about noon tomorrow before heading home so the morning hunt will be our last attempt. I have really enjoyed the time spent outdoors with my son trying to figure this place out. It is a neat place and several fellow TBHs have volunteered advice and spot info. Appreciate it all.

Beta of luck in the morning. Y’all will get one!!!

Comment

Well, we gave it out best but couldn't get it done. Thanks to everyone that gave advice and spot info, much appreciated. Had a great time! Hopefully we'll have better weather next time.

Comment

Thanks for taking us along, fellers! I enjoyed it.

Comment

Sorry that you did not get one.

We spent a lot of time out there. Not sure if it was the cold or being the last hunt that we saw no nilgai.

Where did you hunt the last morning? If off of 10. What did John’s friend shoot? Talked to him in parking lot leaving and he had his cart out but did not exactly know what his buddy shot

We hunted till 10 am and headed out. Son had to get bk to wife, son and new baby girl. Saw nothing

We did not see many nilagi for the hours we were there. 3 run across the lake first day,
              Other than that I saw two cows hunting/ cow and cow and calf Walking two different times. No real shot and did not stalk
              Ryan saw the three running and walking two bulls and cow together and no shot.
              Saw ton of deer and turkeys.

We need to do a write up of the property for others next year.
              Take care Jim

Comment

Thanks for the updates. Now y’all know a little more for next trip

Comment

Great time.
                  We need to do write ups on all these federal land hunts.

What are the odds to get drawn for another hunt on the same property on a hunt.

I got to get home and quit typing on my iphone Lol

Talking with the gamewardens they were not seeing the ningai either with the cold weather. Fresh poop disappeared and we did look at a lot of the country were people were not hunting.

Curious how many did dig in with 33 degree weather 10 to17 northwind wind and lite rain about half the time for 3 and half days?

Lets write it up when I can get to a type writer. JimD

Comment

I will add that the only Nilgai I saw were when I was stalking through the brush. I never saw one in the open or crossing a sendero. We sat both sides of the lake bed on 10 all day Saturday and Sunday morning - me on the west side and my son on the east side and didn't see anything other than pigs. All the Nilgai I did see in the brush saw me and spooked before I saw them. I did come across a young bull in the brush on Saturday that if he had stared at me for about a second longer I would have gotten a shot off. I did spot a Nilgai calf yesterday morning. It had the reddest coat I've ever seen on a Nilgai and she had no idea I was there. If it weren't for that red color I probably would not have spotted her. I did find some areas in the brush that had so much sign that you would think there would be a Nilgai around every tree. I also found some really cool spots that don't really show up on Google maps, some big openings, a big elevated berm and some water holes. If we ever get drawn for a deer hunt there I have a really good deer crossing spot. And, I would love to see a turkey hunt there, the population sure seems to be thriving there.

Comment

Sounds like Y'all had an adventure. Thanks for the ride!

Comment

So you were around the lake west of 20?

We found if you walk out the back of the parking lot on 20 The road ran down about 1100 yards west turned left South for 400 yards then turned back west 1200 yards to cr 30. The funny thing was there is a 3 to 4 foot levey/ burm just 30 yards north of this road that parallels the road. This area is thick brush all the way up to the north fence. It is where we found a lot of the poop with the animals staying in this heavy brush while it was so cold.

Comment

I think you mean west off of 20 towards 10, not 30 JimD. You are right, there is a lot of scat in there but is it thick.

Comment

You are right it 30,20,10. from east to west

Comment

Related to this group hunt I put all the notes and things I learned on the post above. Hope it will help you get started if you draw a Nilgai hunt. See Throwing Darts post great info.

The federal hunts are definitely not riding around in a truck looking for animals to stalk like the guided expensive hunts.

It is more being lucky and finding an area that has not been walked thru by 10 people each week of the hunt.

As far as I know we had 3 or 4 cows taken. Late shot by John and his buddies on Sunday may have put another ? down but I do not know we hunted early for Ryan and headed out about 10 and he was in the south parking lot on 10. When ask he said he did not know what they shot but had his cart out.

I had one poacher out with us late on Friday. I head a suppressed or subsonic round several hundred yards south of me between 10 and 20 and close to the middle of the property Son saw a truck pull into the parking lot see my vehicle and move on out about dark after the shot.
                              Last edited by JimD; 03-09-2022, 10:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X