Sprinkler irrigation Controller? Wifi or not

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I'm having a sprinkler system installed early next week, I was asked what controller I wanted, WiFi or not. I dont have any internet service provider at the farmhouse as we use phones or tablets and no need for a dedicated internet provider. With that in mind im leaning to a manual controller with rain monitors (Solar Sync) i believe. Is it worth it to get the wifi one and internet installed or stick with manual? I'm a believer as sometimes simpler is better. Advice and opinions are greatly appreciated. System will be around 11 zones.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Originally posted by g2outfitter View Post
    So I'm having a sprinkler system installed early next week, I was asked what controller I wanted, WiFi or not. I dont have any internet service provider at the farmhouse as we use phones or tablets and no need for a dedicated internet provider. With that in mind im leaning to a manual controller with rain monitors (Solar Sync) i believe. Is it worth it to get the wifi one and internet installed or stick with manual? I'm a believer as sometimes simpler is better. Advice and opinions are greatly appreciated. System will be around 11 zones.

Will you be there everyday or at least every week? Does having remote access give you a benefit if you are not there often enough to turn it off if it’s flooded or increase the the duration if it hasn’t rained in the last three weeks?

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
      Will you be there everyday or at least every week? Does having remote access give you a benefit if you are not there often enough to turn it off if it’s flooded or increase the the duration if it hasn’t rained in the last three weeks?
      Yes, I'm sorry I will be there almost every day

Comment

Originally posted by g2outfitter View Post
        Yes, I'm sorry I will be there almost every day

Manual then, agree with keeping it simple.

Comment

Having to install and pay for internet just for irrigation seems a bit much, but I wouldn’t trade my WiFi connected system at the house for anything. I have 12 zones. Being able to work on the system with remote access rather than running around the house into the garage is priceless. Also, laying in bed or on vacation with the ability the control my system has been one of the best upgrades I’ve done.

I use Rachio.

Comment

Having no ISP at the location means don’t waste the money on a WiFi one... my recommendation would be different if internet service was in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No internet and no need for internet makes it an easy decision.

Comment

well.... I would vote to get one with wifi and such in case you decide you do want to use it later. You can always control a wifi type manually. You can get a pretty cheap solution to get wifi out to the barn. That way if you ever decide you want to set/tweak programs at your computer, you'll have the ability at some point in the future.

Comment

Seems to be an easy choice

Comment

No internet? No need. But if you ever do decide to put internet in, wireless sprinkler systems are the bomb.

Comment

Not if you don’t already have internet. I have Wi-Fi and it is nice. I forgot to reprogram my start time last week before a business trip, so I did it from my phone sitting at the airport. Then again, that’s probably the 1st time in a year I have actually NEEDED that feature.

Comment

Originally posted by Rush2Judge View Post
                        No internet? No need. But if you ever do decide to put internet in, wireless sprinkler systems are the bomb.
                        Thats what I'm thinking, the controllers are fairly reasonable if I ever decide to get internet to the property.

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
                          Not if you don’t already have internet. I have Wi-Fi and it is nice. I forgot to reprogram my start time last week before a business trip, so I did it from my phone sitting at the airport. Then again, that’s probably the 1st time in a year I have actually NEEDED that feature.
                          Perfect thanks

Comment

This thread reminded me I needed to water the herb garden at the lake house. I don't need to start watering everything. It's nice to be able to just do a quick zone run.

Comment

Working...
                            X