Dozer or track loader for ranch work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dozer or track loader for ranch work

I know both have their place. But if your talking similar size what’s the better overall unit for ranch work. Clearing brush and minor dirt work like digging 1/2-1 acre stock tanks. Mainly sandy or clay soil, not much rock. Just trying to see what others experience that have used both. Looking for d3-d5 size on both.

Both are great but for ranch projects, i find myself jumping on the Trackloader more often. I can clear brush, scrub trees and cedars all day with no issues, fix dams, move or load buckets of dirt, dig etc just the same for the most part.

Comment

Track loader with clam shell bucket

Comment

Only major thing I think a track loader can’t do the same is water diversion terraces you would normally use the tilted six way blade for. Other than that not sure what I would miss with a dozer over track loader.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
          Track loader with clam shell bucket
          Absolutely, I had I was gonna look at but it sold before I could get there. Most don’t have that option tho. Had another machine I liked and made a deal on but when I was about to leave to pick it up owner said it would start. Nobody has been able to figure it out since but it had a few questionable issues also so was for the best. I think I found two others I like better one dozer and one track loader. Just trying to decide between the two. Leaning toward track loader even tho the dozer is bigger.

Comment

If I could have only one it would be a track loader. With a dozer you can only push. With a track loader you can push, load your bucket and place types of material where you want. I own both but the track loader is much more versatile. You can get up much higher on trees and they push over easier. A Cat 953 or 963 with the bucket in front and the motor in back of the cab is a very balanced and useful machine.

Comment

I have a few different ones we've picked up over the years, some (a little) newer and most a little older. I've had great luck with the 80's model CATS. They seem to go forever with minimal issues and fairly easy to work on minus all the heavy @$$ metal body panels lol. Guess im saying i wouldn't have any issues buying one a little older if it checked out. I have a CAT 955 that is my go to most times. Great machine.

Comment

Cat 933 is what I’m looking at now

Comment

Track loader all the way.

Comment

Track loader.

Comment

My old man had a 933. He picked up a small blade and had it fabricated/converted to fit. I grubbed many a cedar and mesquite with it.

Comment

Track loader with a brush rake attachment and a 4in1 bucket is all you need. Adapting a blade to one would be neat as well. They are much better at piling brush.

Comment

Working...
                        X