Rick James knife making journey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rick James knife making journey

I’ve always liked knives and I have bought several from sponsors on here. I was always curious to build/make my own. Chops was advertising a beginners knife making class and my wife let me go for Father’s Day. Tim is a great teacher and funny dude but I never thought I would enjoy making them as much as I did. I left his his house and started thinking about making my own knives and what all I would need. I started doing my research and had no idea how big the knife community is and how awesome and helpful they are. Next thing you know I have 5k worth of tools ordered. I took another class from Chops, this time with a couple more members from TBH. So I thought I would post my progress as a “Rookie” knife maker and get y’all’s feedback on what’s cool and what’s not. I will be doing stock removal as I have no interest in forging for now. This will not be a fast thread but a thread I post on as time goes by. Hope y’all enjoy.

If you don't call your first knife the super freak you are doing it wrong.

Comment

My first bug purchase was a 2X72” belt sander/grinder
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
        That is hilarious and you sir just named it and will get something for that. It may take a while but I’m gonna hook you up.

Comment

These are the first 2 that got me hooked. These are the ones I built in Chops class
          Attached Files

Comment

Cannot make a knife without etching your name into it. So here is my first makers mark.
            Attached Files

Comment

Here the first 2 plus the one I built the second class I took.
              Attached Files

Comment

Some handle material I have received over the last couple weeks.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here are three designs I have came up with. I have taken bits and pieces of knives I have bought and created these. You will see some resemblance of chops knives in these.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I just received a shipment of steel and will have some profiled And ready to ship to get heat treated. I’ll post up more as I work on them.

Comment

You weren't kidding, jumped in with both feet. Those look great, good luck to you Sir.

Comment

I also took a class from Chops. In fact his very first one!! Lots of fun and learning!

Comment

Brodbeck makes a solid grinder. If you need anything, I'm no expert like Chops, but have a bunch of stuff and have been tinkering in this hobby for a while. You got my digits...

Comment

Originally posted by kcnatural View Post
                            And if anyone says, "That design looks familiar. Are you Chop?" you have to slap them and yell, "I"m Rick James, *****!"

Those look amazing. Chop makes awesome knives and you obviously got your money's worth. They look great!

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post
                              "I"m Rick James, B****!"
                              RJB Blades. Heck of a name

Comment

Working...
                              X