Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2021, 04:33 PM   #1
CityLimtRedneck
Spike
 
CityLimtRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Georgetown TX
Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF
Default Mansfield Jetty Fishing Advice

Just got invited on a trip to fish Mansfield Jetty, we will be getting there by boat so we don't have to do the drive down the beach. Any advice on what tactics work well there? Soft plastics or live bait, I'm open to anything. Would also like to hear about others experiences there, this will be my first trip to the area. I'm an avid freshwater fisherman, but have only a limited amount of experience in the salt, thanks in advance!
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-09-2021, 10:06 PM   #2
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SE TX, Nederland
Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County
Default Mansfield Jetty Fishing Advice

Itís been a few years since I have been down there but if conditions are good you can catch kings just outside the jetties this time of year. If just fishing the jetties any live bait is good for trout, reds, Spanish mackerel, jacks etc. I have done well with plastics for trout many times.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 10:03 AM   #3
CityLimtRedneck
Spike
 
CityLimtRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Georgetown TX
Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
It’s been a few years since I have been down there but if conditions are good you can catch kings just outside the jetties this time of year. If just fishing the jetties any live bait is good for trout, reds, Spanish mackerel, jacks etc. I have done well with plastics for trout many times.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will probably bring a little bit of everything, and a cast net haha, thanks for the info! It would be crazy if we hooked into a king, I have never caught one before.
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 10:07 AM   #4
RiverRat1
Pope & Young
 
RiverRat1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Leander
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

It's not really crazy. Lots of them close in off the jetties. Float a live bait out if wind is right.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 01:17 PM   #5
TD2000
Ten Point
 
TD2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Dallas
Hunt In: Star TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
It's not really crazy. Lots of them close in off the jetties. Float a live bait out if wind is right.
Know as balloon fishing.

Take a pocket full in case wind is right
TD2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
BangBang
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: TX
Hunt In: Webb Co., Atascosa Co., Aransas Bay
Default

I will be driving down there tomorrow morning. Match the hatch and big blue/chrome rattle traps. Depends on what you are planning on catching. Snook, tarpon, kings, reds, trout and mangroves among the various other fish will be there. If fishing off the rocks, it is best to stay as mobile and versatile as possible. Matching the bait I see off the rocks has produced the best results rather than picking a color.
BangBang is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 02:34 PM   #7
CityLimtRedneck
Spike
 
CityLimtRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Georgetown TX
Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
I will be driving down there tomorrow morning. Match the hatch and big blue/chrome rattle traps. Depends on what you are planning on catching. Snook, tarpon, kings, reds, trout and mangroves among the various other fish will be there. If fishing off the rocks, it is best to stay as mobile and versatile as possible. Matching the bait I see off the rocks has produced the best results rather than picking a color.
Awesome, let me know how it goes for you down there and what species you catch.
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 02:53 PM   #8
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio \ Cheyenne
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Just a daytrip? Staying in the boat or jumping out to walk the jetty?
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 04:56 PM   #9
CityLimtRedneck
Spike
 
CityLimtRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Georgetown TX
Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
Just a daytrip? Staying in the boat or jumping out to walk the jetty?
Don't have the full details yet, but I believe we are leaving on Friday and coming home Sunday. I think the plan is to take the boat to the jetty, then get out and fish/camp on the jetty.
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 05:22 PM   #10
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio \ Cheyenne
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

So for a weekend trip based primarily on the jetty I'd definitely bring some large Kastmaster style spoons, crab flavor fish bites, and your favorite paddle tails. Spoons should get you smacks and jacks so may want some sort of bite proof steel leader just in case, though I'd start without. Paddle tails or DOA shrimp for the trout up close to the rocks, you should be able to find a hole up shallow on the surf side, look for the cylindrical jetty rocks and fish that pool. Fish bites on the bottom will get you whiting and reds and drum, you may want some small spider weights but a pyramid sinker can do great if the current is slow by keeping the bait slowly drifting on the bottom. Whiting heads make primo shark bait if you've got a castable shark rod otherwise you can fillet and fry them up and/or use for cut bait if you want to get messy. We've caught monster bull reds on fish bites so I don't bother with cut bait anymore. Don't forget the baby powder and skeeter spray, also be sure your gear is raccoon-proof and don't forget to get us some pics!

Last edited by justletmein; 07-12-2021 at 05:24 PM.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 05:28 PM   #11
CityLimtRedneck
Spike
 
CityLimtRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Georgetown TX
Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
So for a weekend trip based primarily on the jetty I'd definitely bring some large Kastmaster style spoons, crab flavor fish bites, and your favorite paddle tails. Spoons should get you smacks and jacks so may want some sort of bite proof steel leader just in case, though I'd start without. Paddle tails or DOA shrimp for the trout up close to the rocks, you should be able to find a hole up shallow on the surf side, look for the cylindrical jetty rocks and fish that pool. Fish bites on the bottom will get you whiting and reds and drum, you may want some small spider weights but a pyramid sinker can do great if the current is slow by keeping the bait slowly drifting on the bottom. Whiting heads make primo shark bait if you've got a castable shark rod otherwise you can fillet and fry them up and/or use for cut bait if you want to get messy. We've caught monster bull reds on fish bites so I don't bother with cut bait anymore. Don't forget the baby powder and skeeter spray, also be sure your gear is raccoon-proof and don't forget to get us some pics!
Sounds like you are a veteran for these kind of trips . This is just the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks! I will make sure to upload pics of what we catch, heard there are chances of getting into a tarpon this time of year which would be a neat experience.
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 05:52 PM   #12
eradicator
Pope & Young
 
eradicator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Arlington,TX/Pecos County
Default

I caught many a fish on the Joe Pool docks when it first opened!......Oh, wrong Mansfield True story though
eradicator is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 06:02 PM   #13
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio \ Cheyenne
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLimtRedneck View Post
Sounds like you are a veteran for these kind of trips . This is just the kind of advice I was looking for, thanks! I will make sure to upload pics of what we catch, heard there are chances of getting into a tarpon this time of year which would be a neat experience.
Oh yeah, that was my game for a long time. I used to throw a quart of shrimp in a bucket of sawdust for the wife and drive down and just run the net for her. If the trout are there then they're there, if not then move on to other things. Fish the tides, when it's outgoing we always do best but if you can get a chart and see when the tide really starts moving that's your best shot. Aside from that always fish moonrise down there, can't tell you how much action we've had just before moonrise from hammerheads to gamefish. The cool part about having the boat down there is if it's calm enough and you see tarpon rolling you can chase them or go troll for kings or whatnot. Watch for rattlesnakes under your bbq grill.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 06:25 PM   #14
BangBang
Four Point
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: TX
Hunt In: Webb Co., Atascosa Co., Aransas Bay
Default

Getting the yoda loaded up now. Primary target is poon/snook. Should be hitting it at high tide when I hit the sand in the AM. Will fish our way down, I have heard some promising reports of trout off the beach. It's the time to be down that way for sure. We will get into something.
BangBang is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-12-2021, 08:12 PM   #15
CityLimtRedneck
Spike
 
CityLimtRedneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Georgetown TX
Hunt In: Williamson, Schleicher, DCNF
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBang View Post
Getting the yoda loaded up now. Primary target is poon/snook. Should be hitting it at high tide when I hit the sand in the AM. Will fish our way down, I have heard some promising reports of trout off the beach. It's the time to be down that way for sure. We will get into something.
Good luck man, hope you slay em!
CityLimtRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com