Conroe to Laramie, WY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conroe to Laramie, WY

I've been invited by a veterans group to fly fish Wyoming to try for the Cutthroat Trout Slam. Map quest show the trip is around 17 hours. I don't think I can drive that straight. Does anyone who has made a similar trip to Wyoming have any recommendations for a hotel around the halfway mark? I'm not sure of the exact dates yet, but would like to start looking at viable options. Trip will be sometime in August. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Probably somewhere around Amarillo, or Clayton, NM would be your best bet.

Comment

Good luck Chris. When you going?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Good luck Chris. When you going?
        Thanks. It will be sometime in August.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Funny. We are doing that exact same drive next Thursday. I think we may end up staying with some family in Dallas Wednesday night just to knock a few hours off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

that is a long haul.

Comment

I typically stay at the Best Western in Dalhart.

Comment

Amarillo or Raton, I’ve stayed in both going to CO or WY. Raton used to have a Holiday Inn, stayed there while elk hunting. Amarillo will have multiple places to stay and eat, but I only remember the steakhouse where you can eat the 72 oz. steak and get it free.

Comment

There are some nice cabins in Westcliff Colorado. Not sure of the name but I bet a google would help

Comment

head straight North and hit the best western in York Nebraska and then due West on 80. if you want to take the mountain route then get yourself to Tucumcari, NM and then head North through Las Vegas, NM north from there many routes...can give some great routes if you want to sight see.

Comment

Dumas is usually or half-way stop. Most of the major hotel chains have a presence there. The best thing about Dumas, however, is the 287 Roadhouse. The best dinner rolls you will ever eat and their breakfast is pretty dang good, too. You get into town, go eat dinner, get up the next morning, and go have breakfast.

Comment

Made the trek from Fort Worth. We stopped in Fort Collins if I remember. I’d say from
                        Conroe Amarillo might be the best bet

Comment

I have done the drive from Magnolia to outside Denver a bunch of times. Amarillo has always been a good spot to call it a day

Comment

I make it from Sea World SA to Cheyenne in 13.75 hours if driving alone or 14.5 hours with someone (everyone else has to pee more) but Google always says 16 hours, probably your actual drive time would be less than your map estimate for yourself also.
                            I avoid NM for political reasons and try not to spend money there, but the route through Oklahoma (hang a left in Kit Carson to head for Denver) is a much better drive with fewer cops running radar anyway, and about 10 miles shorter but only costs me 3 extra minutes. I'd think your best bet for a hotel quick stop is stay in Texas in Amarillo.

Comment

Raton, New Mexico or Trinidad, Colorado

Comment

Working...
                              X