Internet speed trouble shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Internet speed trouble shooting

I have about had it with my personal computer. And I don't even think its the computer. The speed of the internet is ridiculously slow for what I am paying for.

With those in the IT world, what is my issue? I am paying for the fastest AT&T offers in my area, 25 mbps. On 4 different devices, the ookla speed test shows the following:
    Work laptop: 21.99 mbps
    Wife's laptop: 18.95 mbps
    Phone: 30 mbps. No joke, I am getting more than I pay for.
    My PC: 5.75, and this is fast compared to the 2 to 4 I have been getting.

My pc just got 32 gb of RAM, a 2nd ssd hdd... the only thing I can think of is that its the unregistered windows 10 OS, or potentially a 5 year old wireless adapter that taps out at 150 mbps... I ordered a new one that has a range of 100 yards (20 max to the router's location) and has 5.8 ghz and can plug into USB3.

^all this is foreign to me. I am frustrated though between slow and nonexistent. My buddy keeps telling me I need to purchase faster internet. To me it makes no sense to break up the bundle and then hope I get faster internet when my evidence points to the PC being the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help.

tell what 802.11 revision your wireless adapter is on. b, g, n, ac, and it is not new enough to be ax. Also what revision is your wireless router. Finally, do you get better speed when you move your laptop into the same room as your wireless fouter.

Comment

Does your PC have an Ethernet plug? If so, try running the speed test while wired to your router.

Comment

I recently had similar issues and had my provider come out to troubleshoot.
        Bottom line was my existing router was outdated and need to be updated.
        Got a new Linksys router system which has three units I placed in different rooms of my home.
        The difference is night and day. How old is your router? That is where I would start.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sounds like it’s not an AT&T issue. Like mentioned, if you’re not already, plug an ethernet cable directly to the modem and see if there is any change. If you still I’ve issues your equipment need to be updated most likely
          Last edited by AntlerCollector; 07-20-2021, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Does your PC have an Ethernet plug? If so, try running the speed test while wired to your router.
            Yep, do this for sure.

You can also install an app on your smartphone, "Nighthawk," and it will tell you what channel is best for your wireless.

And I'd still get ATT to come out and change out the router.

Comment

Appreciate all the advice guys!

Comment

Replace the provided router with a better one.

Comment

I was getting 2 {just 2} in the garage and was still able to stream movies.Chased the high speed train for 4 months and now get 600 in the garage and almost a Gig inside.
                  Had to add a line of sight repeater in the garage..........

Comment

He has already proven his router with the other devices. That leaves coverage or his adapter.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanoDano View Post
                      He has already proven his router with the other devices. That leaves coverage or his adapter.
                      When you say coverage what exactly do you mean? Distance from router? If so, all 4 were on the same desk.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                        When you say coverage what exactly do you mean? Distance from router? If so, all 4 were on the same desk.

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
                        Its your wireless adapter. Get something newer. He is saying you proved that with your other devices getting max bandwidth from your gateway. If one device doesnt get the same speed of the others when all else is equal, then its your device. Wireless adapters are RF and like all RF broadcasting devices, have a finite lifespan. Replace it with a wireless AC adapter. If you plug it in to USB make sure its using USB 3.0 (Blue Ports)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ thanks Samson
                          I have been working with engineers so long that tech ease is more natural than English.

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                            Its your wireless adapter. Get something newer. He is saying you proved that with your other devices getting max bandwidth from your gateway. If one device doesnt get the same speed of the others when all else is equal, then its your device. Wireless adapters are RF and like all RF broadcasting devices, have a finite lifespan. Replace it with a wireless AC adapter. If you plug it in to USB make sure its using USB 3.0 (Blue Ports)

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
                            I agree, its the device. Easiest is get a wireless 802.11ac adapter. If that doesn't work, your Windows install is f'ed.

Comment

Formated the old drive I had and now we're running really good. I had my buddy build this computer in 2015 and he used a bootlegged version of windows 7. I believe this was the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X