No announcement yet.

The Current Real Estate Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My neighbors just sold their house. The first offer they got was $50k over asking price.

Comment

Anybody know where the surplus of cheap houses are? They do not appear to be in the liberal cities on the West Coast. Our local paper reported a shortage of houses are causing the increase of prices. Certainly some CA city has to have a ton of vacant houses? Everywhere I have looked in OR, NV, CA, UT and AZ have hot markets also.

Comment

If your real estate is not on the market and somebody shows an interest. Never ever tell them a price. Tell them to make you an offer you can’t refuse and go from there. He who speaks first always leaves money on the table.

Comment

We closed on a place in January 2020 with the intent to rehab and finish a barndominium that was never finished. Well having a baby in March of 2020 and grand designs by my wife put those plans on pause. Around Mother's Day my wife came up with a more realistic scope of renovation work. So since then I have been spending every waking hour when I am not at my job working there. We ordered cabinets, and unfortunately they will not be here until October.......

But I have plenty to work on til then. And if I finish I can start working on my current house. I figure that this winter and next spring will not be as crazy as this spring/summer. But I hope it holds out long enough for us to sell at these prices

I have seen price per sq ft listings of 175 on the low end to 189 within 1/2 mile of our current house. And am not sure if people paid above the ask.

If it all works out close to plan, it would be a huge blessing on our family

Comment

Originally posted by thegrouse View Post
            Anybody know where the surplus of cheap houses are? They do not appear to be in the liberal cities on the West Coast. Our local paper reported a shortage of houses are causing the increase of prices. Certainly some CA city has to have a ton of vacant houses? Everywhere I have looked in OR, NV, CA, UT and AZ have hot markets also.
            My brother ran into same in Georgia, had a tough time finding a place.

Comment

My wife is a realtor, all I’ll say is she had a buyer put in an offer 140k over asking price and they still didn’t get it.

Comment

Wonder if the San Antonio market is like that also.

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                  San Antonio market is hot right now as well.

I've been buying rental properties around San Antonio for over 10 years now and the one constant is prices continue to rise. They are currently rising at the fastest pace I have ever seen.

For those waiting on the sidelines for the crash to buy, do you think the prices are going to go down when the crash happens? Is that crash 5 years from now when all the liberals have invaded the state and the current prices have risen another 80 percent from the current levels?

I just have a hard time seeing prices falling. I believe the rate of increase will decline. I can even see the prices go flat for a long period of time. But don't see where the majority of houses in Texas will decline in value at least for the next 5 years. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by hgiles View Post
                    My neighbor listed a house at $275 a foot and it sold in two days

Comment

Originally posted by HOOKNBULLET2 View Post
                      I just have a hard time seeing prices falling. I believe the rate of increase will decline. I can even see the prices go flat for a long period of time. But don't see where the majority of houses in Texas will decline in value at least for the next 5 years. Just my humble opinion.
                      I agree with this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Never say Never. 2008 left a whole lot of people with a house worth 1/2 (or less) than what they paid for it. This happened in many of the hottest markets...

Comment

Originally posted by ken800 View Post
                          Never say Never. 2008 left a whole lot of people with a house worth 1/2 (or less) than what they paid for it. This happened in many of the hottest markets...
                          Biggest difference now though is all the people pouring in from other states. Houses in Frisco didn't go down then just held steady or increased just not as quickly. I'm concerned though

Comment

Houses did not fall 50% in 2008. I think worse case was 30% but even people who bought then made out great if they held for more than 7-8 years.

Comment

I bought mine in December of 2007 at foreclosure. Signed and immediately had about 180k in equity.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                Houses did not fall 50% in 2008. I think worse case was 30% but even people who bought then made out great if they held for more than 7-8 years.
                                When the housing bubble burst (it was more than just 2008) the case shiller was down about 34%. Some areas were worse. It brought on a recession with people forced to sell at distressed prices and they couldn't because they were so far upside down. Perhaps 50% is hyperbole but there most certainly some that took that big of a hit while others took very little. Overall, it was a financial disaster, though. If things don't flatten severely and soon, the same will happen again. Fortunately sub prime lending isn't nearly as bad as that era so it will be mitigated.

And the key was "if they held out". A LOT of people lost their jobs and COULDN'T hold out.

Comment

Working...
                                X