No announcement yet.

A/C condensate drain clogged advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Many A/C service companies will use compressed air. You could also try a wet vac & seal around it as good as you can

Comment

Your second post said you didn't see the 3 quarts come out of the outside drain. If your pouring bleach in the standpipes, those are usually on the main drain which will be hard piped to a sewer vent. (You will not see it draining).

Regardless of my confusion, I had an AC guy out recently & he had a small rubber nozzle device that used a CO2 cartridge for a BB gun that he blew lines clear with. Pretty slick idea. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
        Ah, yeah mine only has a cap on the one side then runs across and downstairs. Your clog may not be 100% so that bleach could be dripping out. The shop-vac can be reversed to pressure through as well. Before I finally cut my pipe I used the shop-vac alternating suction and pressure back and forth and got it cleared out. Could be worth a shot assuming you're able to plug the other spots you're not targeting. I think the bleach is more of a preventative.

Alternating the shop vac is what worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
          Almost always where it attaches to the sink below the unit. when thats plugged it will go into the pan and drain out the house. There should never be any water in the pan or out the pipe outside the house. It should drain into a sink p trap 90% of the time. underneath you bathroom cabinet alot of times
          X2. Mine would do this and I’d pull line off and run either a snake or try wet vac.

Comment

compressed air has worked for me

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
              Almost always where it attaches to the sink below the unit. when thats plugged it will go into the pan and drain out the house. There should never be any water in the pan or out the pipe outside the house. It should drain into a sink p trap 90% of the time. underneath you bathroom cabinet alot of times
              Yep mine goes down into my laundry room drain. The one outside of my house is only there if the 1st one clogs up.

Comment

Lots of AC experts here. ��

Comment

A/C condensate drain clogged advice

I cut the drain line where it comes out of the pan and installed a ball valve there, then I installed a T downstream from that with a short piece of pipe sticking up and a cap. When mine clogs up I close that ball valve so air doesn’t go back into the unit, and use compressed air where the cap is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Run the snake backwards from out side in and see if its clogged at the end all kinds of critters can craw up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Deers & Beers View Post
                      I noticed my a/c wasn't cooling like it should be.. Checked and yep, there's some water in the pan and it's dripping out the emergency drain pipe.

I tried the usual. I poured a quart of straight bleach in, no dice. Poured another 2 quarts in of half bleach and half warm water, hoping the weight might push it through, still clogged.

I ran an air hose all the way from my garage into the attic and hit it as hard as I could for a straight minute. Nothing.

I don't have a snake at the moment.

Any other ideas? Is there anything nastier I can pour in there or should I just buy a snake or call someone?
                      Maybe it is not clear to me. Your A/C drain, if built in recent history, will have two exits. One will be the emergency as stated and will go across your attic and exit an eve somewhere. If water is coming out of there the normal drain is clogged.

Your normal drain will be run somewhere under a sink and before a p-trap. In my last two houses, the drain was in the master bath. It would clog from time to time. If you can find that, pull it and it will likely be clogged right at the sink or within a couple of feet.

If you have water in your pan above the bottom of the emergency drain line hole then BOTH are plugged.

It isn't clear which or both are the problem here.

Comment

Check under your sinks and see if it drains to a sink line above the trap. Look for a hose that doesn't make any sense being there. :-).

Ooops. See above.
                        Last edited by RR 314; 06-16-2021, 03:48 PM. Reason: stated

Comment

For the love of god don’t use a gallo gun to “blow” the pipe clear, if it’s a hard blockage you’ll burst the pvc at a coupling and then you’ve got a mess. Cut the trap and suck it out with a good shop vac from the exit first and then from supply side if that doesn’t work. If you’re set on DIY’ing A/C maintenance then buy you some NuCalgon Drain Pan Tablets and stick some in there twice or three times a year to kill and algae.

Sincerely and HVAC Tech

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                            Many A/C service companies will use compressed air. You could also try a wet vac & seal around it as good as you can
                            This.

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
                              For the love of god don’t use a gallo gun to “blow” the pipe clear, if it’s a hard blockage you’ll burst the pvc at a coupling and then you’ve got a mess. Cut the trap and suck it out with a good shop vac from the exit first and then from supply side if that doesn’t work. If you’re set on DIY’ing A/C maintenance then buy you some NuCalgon Drain Pan Tablets and stick some in there twice or three times a year to kill and algae.

Sincerely and HVAC Tech

Thanks texasforever for the advice about the NuCalgon Drain Pan Tablets. Sounds like some routine maintenance with these will help prevent condensate water back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Monark View Post
                                Your second post said you didn't see the 3 quarts come out of the outside drain. If your pouring bleach in the standpipes, those are usually on the main drain which will be hard piped to a sewer vent. (You will not see it draining).

Regardless of my confusion, I had an AC guy out recently & he had a small rubber nozzle device that used a CO2 cartridge for a BB gun that he blew lines clear with. Pretty slick idea. Good luck.
                                Those co2 devices are a life saver had to use it couple times
                                On my unit over the years can get them on Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                                X