Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colorado Hunting Unit w/ Secluded Lake Fishing??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Hunting Unit w/ Secluded Lake Fishing??

I am beginning to plan a scouting/backpacking trip to Colorado this July.

I am wanting to pick a unit within 2 hours of Denver that I can backpack camp and fish some lakes/creeks with my brother while scouting for OTC elk for a few days.

Anyone have any insight?

This will be a 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 day trip coming from Denver Airport and we will be grabbing a rental car.

Planning a true back country backpack camp

MREs

Minimal gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is flying to Colorado Springs an option?

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
        Is flying to Colorado Springs an option?

Could be yes

Comment

Head up the Poudre canyon NW of Ft. Collins heading to Walden. I think most of that area is OTC and has some high mountain lakes to fish. Hiked into Zimmerman lake and fished for grayling one year. Not sure how the beetle kill is since it has been quite a few years up there.

Comment

Any otc unit with wilderness areas in CO should have streams and/or lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
              Head up the Poudre canyon NW of Ft. Collins heading to Walden. I think most of that area is OTC and has some high mountain lakes to fish. Hiked into Zimmerman lake and fished for grayling one year. Not sure how the beetle kill is since it has been quite a few years up there.
              They have some forest restriction up this way , in Colorado, due to the fires last year. Some trails are closed and camping along the river is also a no go right now.
              Check on restrictions before you head up towards Ft Collins area, or any burn scar area.

Comment

Bump

Comment

If you want a little Wyoming side trip, maybe hike in to Gap Lakes up on top of Snowy Range. Top of the mountains and good fishing. Lots of lakes up there with various fish.

Comment

Within 2 hrs of Denver and secluded is going to be tough

Comment

Bump

Comment

Grande Mesa has a lot of small secluded lakes and was OTC but its well outside 2 hrs of Denver. That would be like finding a lake within an hour of Houston that is not busy

Comment

Working...
                        X