WTB Beginner Set Up Western Hunting Gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB Beginner Set Up Western Hunting Gear

Looking to begin building my inventory for backpack hunting out west this year.

Looking for mainly packable type gear.

Day Pack

5 Day Pack

Sleeping pad

Sleeping bag

Cooking gear

Hiking gear/poles

Open to anything and everything that a beginner western hunter may need.

I do not plan on going longer than 5-6 days in the back country at a time and will most likely be September and October.

Thanks in advance.

I’m a size medium/large on my everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods please move to classifieds

Comment

The family and I got some DANG good deals at REI’s “outlet” section of the website. It is all marked down or discontinued items.

If you aren’t in a time crunch, checking there a couple times a week can pay off big time. We picked up 2 backpacks, 2 15° sleeping bags, and 2 sleeping pads earlier this year.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
        The family and I got some DANG good deals at REI’s “outlet” section of the website. It is all marked down or discontinued items.

If you aren’t in a time crunch, checking there a couple times a week can pay off big time. We picked up 2 backpacks, 2 15° sleeping bags, and 2 sleeping pads earlier this year.

Thanks for the lead

Comment

Ross I have been hunting Colorado for 6 years now. I have tried every pack, set of clothes and several differnt types of sleeping pads. My gear now consists of a Kuiu Icon Pro 3600, first lite clothes, lowa boots, 0 degree quilt, mountain house meals with different little snacks through out the day with a Jetboil. We have a Jimmy Trap with a small stove. This has worked for me for up to 5 days. Anything longer than that I'd have to get a bigger bag. My sleeping pad is a Big Agnes pad that's insulated as well. Mostly hunting October in the colder Temps so I usually pack more clothes than needed.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you interested in a ....
            24” kifaru duplex frame (alum stays) coyote brown
            W/ Med belt and
            An exo gear 3500 (2017 yr model) bag is attached, multi cam, has lid
            Last edited by MLank; 05-29-2021, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Rei for gear, Eddie Bauer guide pants are awesome. Black Ovis merino wool tops, merino socks and underwear, Eddie Bauer down vest. I bought all my gear during clearance and half off sales. If you are ok with not wearing Camo you can get great mountain gear very cheap.

Comment

Everyone is different and likes different gear.

My suggestion to you is buy used and try different brands of everything from bags and pads, camo and boots, cookware to tents. Once you know what fits your needs then buy new if you so choose. Lots of packs out there, if you’re serious about “backcountry” hunting do not skimp on them. There’s some real clunkers for a wad of cash. Go with a trusted quality external frame (Exo, mystery ranch, kifaru, Stone glacier).

Go to rei and lay on every pad they have. There’s plenty of great pads they don’t carry as well so don’t feel like you have to settle for one there, they just have a large selection for you to be able to try out. Tents, well you’re gonna have to try them out to see what you like, I personally prefer floorless for everything except spring and summer in south Texas.

Stoves there’s tons of choices. Be realistic, will you cook time to time or just boil water? If only boiling water, a pocket iso butane stove is just fine.
                Last edited by diamond10x; 05-29-2021, 11:24 PM.

Comment

I do not use a separate day pack and multiday pack. My sleep system is very light and I use the overload shelf if I need to pack for multiple days. if you want to get fancy MR makes a roll top bag that keeps things dry in the overload shelf. The one area to overspend is on your bag or quilt if you are going 3rd or 4th. REI magma bag is on sale through Monday. I use a quilt from UGQ. In Oct I carry a closed cell foam pad along with a warm blow up pad. I am not a big believer in camo but I avoid solid white and black. It is ok to go with your wife to Ross as you just might find wool or fleece. Shoes - search the threads in ATC.

Comment

Originally posted by MLank View Post
                    Are you interested in a ....
                    24” kifaru duplex frame (alum stays) coyote brown
                    W/ Med belt and
                    An exo gear 3500 (2017 yr model) bag is attached, multi cam, has lid

Let me google this lol you’re speaking Spanish

Comment

Originally posted by brunner View Post
                      Let me google this lol you’re speaking Spanish

Jaja, si si! Pardon. Puedes buscar muchas cosas en google, YouTube, y Rokslide forum también.

Buena suerte, amigo. Disfruta la.
                      Last edited by MLank; 05-30-2021, 06:20 AM.

Comment

I’ll add another pack to research. Mystery ranch metcalf. It’s the one I’m currently interested in.

Comment

Rokslide is a great forum but most on there think you have to have the most expensive stuff to get by.
                          Good advice above.
                          I personally don't use a big pack, don't do pack in trips , but my pack frame gets lots of use packing out quarters. My day pack gets used on every hunt.
                          Get some merino wool for underlayers and quite clothes for the outers.

Comment

Do y’all recommend internal frame or external frame backpack?

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                              Rokslide is a great forum but most on there think you have to have the most expensive stuff to get by.
                              Good advice above.
                              I personally don't use a big pack, don't do pack in trips , but my pack frame gets lots of use packing out quarters. My day pack gets used on every hunt.
                              Get some merino wool for underlayers and quite clothes for the outers.
                              Definitely have to weed out the blow hards.

Comment

Working...
                              X