No announcement yet.

walking on ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Being born and raised in northern MN, the rule of thumb is 4 inches to walk on. Use a spud bar to pop a few holes to see how thick it is as you walk out. Always good to go with a buddy and be tied off as well as you walk out...Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
      How you gonna catch the big fish if everyone else is already on the ice?!
      hahaha, true! Every year up here we have people die from falling through the ice, either trying to go out too early in the season, or going out too late in early spring. We just had a couple brothers that were out on the ice in a side by side and they went through. One got out the other one drowned.

We also have a number of dogs lost through the ice as well each year. It can be pretty scary for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by EliteDriver View Post
        Being born and raised in northern MN, the rule of thumb is 4 inches to walk on. Use a spud bar to pop a few holes to see how thick it is as you walk out. Always good to go with a buddy and be tied off as well as you walk out...Good luck!
        Don't tie off to your buddy either.

Comment

HO LEE CHIT fellas. It will not get cold enough, long enough for lakes and ponds to freeze thick enough for you walk on safely. Just don't do it. Unless your Living Will is prepared, then by all means, go ahead and talk a walk on the ice. Just think about the others who will come to your rescue, and how you just put their lives in danger.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

Comment

I drove across the Missouri River in 1982 in a ‘79 Bronco with my butt puckered all the way. You can bet I’d never have done it if a loaded pickup hadn’t already done it several times. You can also bet I’ll never do it again. Texas boys don’t belong on ice !

Comment

You can catch hogs and racoons like this, cut a hole in the ice and line it with peas, and when the hog or coon goes to take a pea. you kick him in the ice-hole.

Comment

4 inches to be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  You can catch hogs and racoons like this, cut a hole in the ice and line it with peas, and when the hog or coon goes to take a pea. you kick him in the ice-hole.
                  Classic lol. Friend one time told this one to some guys from Brazil and it took them a long time to understand lol.

Comment

my rule was 4". once you go through you forget about the 1&2" ice!

Comment

The best way is to drive on it first

Comment

Been doing it my whole life, every chance I get.
                        It's kinda the thing to do, when **** freezes over .
                        Nobody says you gotta go out to major body of water, on ice where the water is over your head, not check the ice, let your kid go to the pond without you, or do something dumb to go have a little fun.
                        Some of these guys would have sucked for parents .
                        Heck, in 2009-10 it was cold enough here in the Longview area to walk out on the pond, and it wasn't near as cold as it's appears it's fixing to be.
                        -4° here...with a high of 14 the next day, followed by more extreme cold .
                        On shallower ponds, tanks, I bet we see 10" or better if it does what they say it's gonna do.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
                          Get a drill to measure how thick. 4" minimum.
                          4" we drove snowmobiles on as a kid.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                            This is one and only chance to reenact his favorite scene from Frozen.
                            Ha! Ha!

I don't think I want to see that.

Pretty sure I don't.

Comment

If it ain't at least 2" think I would not consider it. I went through 1" think ice very easily. But I was falling upside down under a 3 wheeler from about 10' up. I went through that ice, like it was not there. I figured it was going to hurt a lot, when I hit.

I told my wife, we should go kayaking Monday, the Guadalupe is just three miles down the road. She said no way in hell. I was thinking we could slide down the river, in the kayaks.

Comment

In one winter in the 80s we had a cold snap. I was out making rounds during my shift at the Fort Worth water plant collecting samples. Only open water on basins was around the drive of the sludge clarifier so I grabbed samples there.
                                The other operator was giving me grief about the cold and saying I should be used to walking on ice. I walked across the basin on it. It was what we use to call "rubber ice". An inch plus thick that flexed and made noise as you walked on it.
                                I wouldn't have my kids out on less than 2". But then again I've survived a few break through incidents ice fishing.
                                Did I mention I hate snow and ice?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by DRT; 02-12-2021, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X