Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which half of September should I hunt elk in NM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which half of September should I hunt elk in NM?

Hi all. Question for all of the guys with experience hunting Northern New Mexico. My MIL bought a place south of Chama, New Mexico last December. She told me I could use one of the property's bull tags. I'm now trying to decide if I want to hunt the first couple weeks or second couple weeks in September. I've hunted the first and second week in September in Southern Colorado and the bulls really seem to get vocal mid September. So I feel like either two week period could be good for some rutting action. There are two tanks on the property so I'm kinda thinking hunt the first two weeks and sit water daily. Hopefully catch a good bull watering. I'm happy sitting all day and waiting. Better for my back than trying to chase them too much. Thoughts? Appreciate any insight anyone has on this area's rutting activities. I plan on talking to the unit's NMGF Biologist this week too. Thanks.

Never hunted NM but I like Sept 6-13 because of moon phase so go with your plan of first 2 weeks and sit by water.

Comment

Originally posted by BigL View Post
      Never hunted NM but I like Sept 6-13 because of moon phase so go with your plan of first 2 weeks and sit by water.
      Thank you, hadn't thought about the moon phase.

Comment

I had read NM elk arent very vocal bugling before going to Cibola NF unit 17 last year. It held true. The bulls bugled at night but not during the day. During the day the bulls would bark at my cow calls but no bugling in response to our bugling.

I had also read that the bulls would come in silent to close-by bugles…that held true too. A buddy bugled in a bedded monsters backyard and he came in quiet except for the racket he made coming through the black timber.

I hope to see your LDPs of a monster. Good luck MrRutt.
        Last edited by Briar Friar; 08-11-2021, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Your are on private property, just hunt the whole month.

Comment

Wait, what zone is that in? You may have to choose which 2 weeks.

Comment

I would hunt the as many days as you can. Moon phase is going to be better the first half. Just go and have fun. You have the best MIL ever!

Comment

count me in if you need a friend to help out

Comment

Is your mil looking for any new SILs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In my experience hunting that area for 4 years now, the last two weeks is the time to be there. The first two are hit or miss but the last two (esp the last week) it gets better the whole time while there.

Comment

Listen to this man.

Comment

Honestly, finding the elk is the key. If you hunt the first half, the elk will behave differently than the second half. You just need to be able to identify what the elk are doing.

What does the property look like? Lots of wallows? What acreage? What does the surrounding property look like? Do the surrounding properties get hunted? Are there hanging valleys up high? What's the elevation? What is average temp? Has the area been extra dry like most of the west this year? Do I want to hunt in the heat and longer days, or cooler and shorter days?

Those are some of the questions I would ask myself before I decided which half of the month to hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Ruttin&Struttin View Post
                          Hi all. Question for all of the guys with experience hunting Northern New Mexico. My MIL bought a place south of Chama, New Mexico last December. She told me I could use one of the property's bull tags. I'm now trying to decide if I want to hunt the first couple weeks or second couple weeks in September. I've hunted the first and second week in September in Southern Colorado and the bulls really seem to get vocal mid September. So I feel like either two week period could be good for some rutting action. There are two tanks on the property so I'm kinda thinking hunt the first two weeks and sit water daily. Hopefully catch a good bull watering. I'm happy sitting all day and waiting. Better for my back than trying to chase them too much. Thoughts? Appreciate any insight anyone has on this area's rutting activities. I plan on talking to the unit's NMGF Biologist this week too. Thanks.
                          what elevation? Is it unit 4? private land only? If its lower elevation no doubt I'm hunting the last two weeks

Comment

Thanks everyone for the responses! We are in the very northern part of 51. Acreage is close to 1,000. It is a private land only tag. When I looked at the tag info it calls out two two week periods. First half and second half of the month. Elevations range from close 8700 down to about 7300 ft. Lots of pinion, scrubby oak stuff and ponderosa pines. We have four ridges that run east and west. There are about a million rubs on this place. The bulls are still in bachelor groups (cell cams confirm this). I think I'm going with my original plan. Just hunt the first two weeks and hunt water a bunch.

Yes, I have a fantastic MIL!
                            Life is blessed. Thanks all. Hopefully I'll have a bull or mulie buck to share pics this fall.

My wife is using one of the bull tags any weapon. She'll be using a gun. Probably October. Fun stuff!

Comment

Wish I had your drive. A lot closer than Idaho. Moon or no moon the peak always seems to fall around September 20th. The first two weeks gives you a better chance before they get the cows rounded up but the second two weeks will be more exciting in my opinion. I love to hear them screaming and you can pretty much bank on Sept. 20th. No matter when you go the rest of us will be jealous of the tag you hold. Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                              X