Hornady custom lite 243

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornady custom lite 243

Anybody use it? How much does it actually reduce recoil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have it for my son. He is six and shoots a Rossi single shot .243 without an issue using this ammo.

kt

Comment

Use it in my 30-06 and it reduced quite a bit. Very accurate and has dropped everything on the spot, even with marginal shot.

Comment

Originally posted by K_Dawg4_1999 View Post
        I have it for my son. He is six and shoots a Rossi single shot .243 without an issue using this ammo.

kt

Thx. My son is very small for his age. I got a ruger compact 243. Its got more kick than normal 243. Looking to tame it down for him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son has the same gun and it made a difference for bench shooting.

Comment

I sighted in both my kids rifles with this ammo. I can tell a difference between the custom lite and standard 100 gr ammo for sure.

Comment

Agreed. I can tell the difference between the managed recoil and factory loads.

kt

Comment

Bumping this up. Anyone used the 243 custom lite for deer hunting? Is it powerful enough to ethically and effectively kill a deer at a range of 100 yards or less?

Comment

Absolutely, My son has taken many deer and big pigs with this ammo and every single one of them have dropped instantly. Range has been anywhere from 80 yards to 150 yards. It also shoots incredible out of his R700. I'm talking literally 1 ragged hole with 5 shots at 100 yards. Heck my reloads aren't that good.

Comment

Hornady custom lite 243

Originally posted by TB80 View Post
                    Bumping this up. Anyone used the 243 custom lite for deer hunting? Is it powerful enough to ethically and effectively kill a deer at a range of 100 yards or less?

Not trying to be a smart azz but I don’t believe hornady would put a product on the market that wouldn’t meet those specifications.

Just because it’s a “reduced” load doesn’t mean it won’t perform. The projectile is still moving at 2800 FPS which is faster than most bigger calibers.

Also as a side note, that 87 grain projectile is devastating on yotes.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

At the risk of getting flamed, and I don't follow his advice blindly, and I know there are people who discount his expertise, the main reason I asked was because I read the following from Chuck Hawk's website:

"The Hornady Custom Lite .243 Win. load (87 grain SST bullet, MV 2800 f.p.s.) has a +/- 3 inch MPBR of 273 yards. However, this load generates so little energy that its Effective Killing Range (EKR) on Class 2 game is zero yards! Specifically, the load has a muzzle energy of 1515 ft. lbs., which is less than the 1539 ft. lbs. of energy that an 87 grain .243 bullet needs to get a Killing Power Score (KPS) of 15. This load is adequate for shooting large varmints and small predators (Class 1 animals), but it should not be used for hunting deer or similar sized animals.

The primary reason for using the reduced recoil .243 load is to virtually eliminate recoil during shooter training. Assuming an eight pound rifle, the reduced load produces estimated recoil of 6.4 ft. lbs., which is 37% less than the 10.1 ft. lbs. of recoil that a typical, full power 100 grain .243 load would generate.

This would be desirable when introducing a young or very recoil sensitive shooter to centerfire rifle shooting. However, the shooter should progress to shooting a .243 Winchester rifle with full power 95 or 100 grain bullet loads before he or she goes deer hunting."

Comment

yes, my daughter shot it in her .243, all one shot kills on Texas whitetail.

she now shoots the custom lights in her 7mm08 . no problems

Comment

Hornady custom lite 243

At the risk of getting flamed, and I don't follow his advice blindly, and I know there are people who discount his expertise, the main reason I asked was because I read the following from Chuck Hawk's website:

"The Hornady Custom Lite .243 Win. load (87 grain SST bullet, MV 2800 f.p.s.) has a +/- 3 inch MPBR of 273 yards. However, this load generates so little energy that its Effective Killing Range (EKR) on Class 2 game is zero yards! Specifically, the load has a muzzle energy of 1515 ft. lbs., which is less than the 1539 ft. lbs. of energy that an 87 grain .243 bullet needs to get a Killing Power Score (KPS) of 15. This load is adequate for shooting large varmints and small predators (Class 1 animals), but it should not be used for hunting deer or similar sized animals.

The primary reason for using the reduced recoil .243 load is to virtually eliminate recoil during shooter training. Assuming an eight pound rifle, the reduced load produces estimated recoil of 6.4 ft. lbs., which is 37% less than the 10.1 ft. lbs. of recoil that a typical, full power 100 grain .243 load would generate.

This would be desirable when introducing a young or very recoil sensitive shooter to centerfire rifle shooting. However, the shooter should progress to shooting a .243 Winchester rifle with full power 95 or 100 grain bullet loads before he or she goes deer hunting."

While I’m no “expert” I have to disagree with Chuck. That round especially with solid neck shots will put deer out of their misery. Even a high shoulder (top of the vitals) should be bang flop. Inside 100 yards of course.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

All three of my kids got a .243 for their 8th birthday and haver never been shown recoil sensitivity to full power rounds. However, I limit them to three round groups. I myself am not recoil sensitive but limit myself to 4 round groups with my 30-06 because I have noticed that I start to notice recoil after 5 rounds. I think reduced recoil rounds are great for practicing mechanics but haven't used them. If any of them would have shown a propensity for flinching, I think I would have given reduced recoil rounds a shot.

Comment

Guy I work with used this for his grand-daughter and she dropped a coyote at 60 yards and full grown doe just shy of 100. I’d say 150 and less you’re good.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Working...
                              X